Christian Benteke

Kwan

his agent ruled out Liverpool and Chelsea moves. Leaving Tottenham in the hot seat. Lots of sources saying he wants to goto Tottenham. They are only in the Europa League. Strange move. They do not offer crazy wages either do they?

Ah well. Sorry Christian.. you wont be going on the cheap.

Probably been mentioned further back (sorry can't be bothered to check) but he kicked up enough of a stink to get out of Genk in the first place, why should we be surprised?

Very true actually. In fact, didn't he threaten to go on strike?

Go on, Christian - go on strike! Go over there and sit all alone in the striking corner. We'll talk again in three years. See if anyone gives a toss.

Sky Sports ran a stat showing his conversion rate in the premier league is better than Suarez, Van Persie etc.

Once he'd settled in his finishing especially when one on one with the keeper was ice cool and for that reason alone his value should be a minimum £28m-£30m cash with add on clauses. He could be worth an additional £5m profit to us in future transfers given his track record of moving every year or so.

Christian's played this all wrong.

His agent hasn't been particularly savvy either.

His wage is such that we can easily afford to let him rot away in the reserves, and we've got the history to show that we are very much prepared to do this with anyone that crosses the club. Tottenham will drag this out for weeks, and I can see Benteke kicking up even more of a fuss to push this through. The problem is that Levy is tighter than a pair of spandex pants on Gareth Barry, so I really can't see them meeting our valuation.If he dares to even think about striking, then he'll be spending next season on the naughty step with Ireland.

• Like 2

If Benteke wants to go on strike and refuse to train in a world cup year at least he can watch it on TV like the rest of us :D

He strikes, Villa don't pay his wages either - win, win.

He strikes, Villa don't pay his wages either - We don't have any money to replace him - lose, lose.

He won't strike. He'd have to be the bigest idiot on earth to do that. 

:huh:  how do you think he got a transfer to Villa

Totally different scenario that has been discussed in detail: 

In brief: 1) our contract is long, we don't have to have our hand forced. 2) WC year.

If he strikes then he really is an idiot and needs to be told to rot for a year with no pay or until he comes to his senses.

his agent ruled out Liverpool and Chelsea moves. Leaving Tottenham in the hot seat. Lots of sources saying he wants to goto Tottenham. They are only in the Europa League. Strange move. They do not offer crazy wages either do they?

If that's the case, then Spurs better hope that they can pay our asking price. No way should we let him go for cheaper than we want, just because he doesn't want to go to Chelsea.

You've handed in a transfer request Christian, not an 'I'd like to go to Spurs' request.

Gutted if he goes to spurs. Just cements how far we have fallen. I don't think anyone has left Villa for spurs to further their career. Massively gutted.

It wasn't long ago that our captain, best central defender, and tough-man central midfielder left us to join Middlesbrough due to our lack of ambition.

We've been in worse spots.

Jeez - I'd just come to terms with him leaving and then I read that. What a big bloody whole we need to fill.

Yep. Some have said I overate him massively. i think people have underated him massively. A proper proper footballer that I just havent really seen at VP before.

Gutted if he goes to spurs. Just cements how far we have fallen. I don't think anyone has left Villa for spurs to further their career. Massively gutted.

It wasn't long ago that our captain, best central defender, and tough-man central midfielder left us to join Middlesbrough due to our lack of ambition.

We've been in worse spots.

Saw this from John Gregory on twitter yesterday:

#benteke has stated that he wants to play Champions League football this season so he's obviously going to Middlesbrough !!! #GSUEGB

• Like 4

Nobody is going to tell anybody else to 'rot in the reserves'

Probably not, but I think that depends on how he acts over the next few weeks. He's entitled to put in a transfer request, bad form as it may be, but if he takes things further then I wouldn't bet against him being frozen out.

I would be right behind Lerner and Lambert if they decide that the best course of action, in the absence of a suitable fee, is to let Benteke rot in the reserves and screw up his career and chances of going to the World Cup.

It would be absolutely fantastic and would send out a clear message to all tantrum throwing low intelligence footballers everywhere.

He's been tapped up that's why, rumours of him and Chadli visiting Spurs last week. He doesn't want to go to Chelsea due to game time. This guy wants to be leading the line for Spurs as Wilmots will watch the side a lot more with more Belgians in it. Plus he'll get a hefy pay rise too.

Christian's played this all wrong.

His agent hasn't been particularly savvy either.

His wage is such that we can easily afford to let him rot away in the reserves, and we've got the history to show that we are very much prepared to do this with anyone that crosses the club. Tottenham will drag this out for weeks, and I can see Benteke kicking up even more of a fuss to push this through. The problem is that Levy is tighter than a pair of spandex pants on Gareth Barry, so I really can't see them meeting our valuation.If he dares to even think about striking, then he'll be spending next season on the naughty step with Ireland.

Well that image has ruined my day.

• Like 1

The more I think about it the more I think £25m isn't enough. I don't think he's burnt his bridges at VP necessarily, he's just chancing his arm and seeing what comes back.   He's potentially the difference between another relegation battle and a top 8 finish. £30m or he stays.

• Like 2

I would be right behind Lerner and Lambert if they decide that the best course of action, in the absence of a suitable fee, is to let Benteke rot in the reserves and screw up his career and chances of going to the World Cup.

It would be absolutely fantastic and would send out a clear message to all tantrum throwing low intelligence footballers everywhere.

He hasnt thrown a tantrum. He just wants to progress. Whether you like it or not, Spurs (who would probably be the smallest club he would move to) are a bigger club than us, they can offer more and will do more to put him on the map. He has done nothing wrong.

Â