Christian Benteke

Kwan

I don't think we'll need to wait long for someone to come in with a bid. It's like that scene in The Godfather.

"The one who comes to you with the offer is the traitor."

In our case the one who comes in with the offer is the tapster. Someone's been working on him and told him to put a request in.

• Like 2

If Lerner allows Benteke to leave after just one year into a four year contract then it proves that he has not learnt anything about being a successful owner in the Premier League. After 3 seasons of relegation shit it looked slightly promising but to sell Benteke now would just show that Villa have no ambition and I am glad that after 7 years I have decided not to waste any more money on this club with 2 season tickets costing over £1000. I will put my money to better use in future.

What is he supposed to do though? The player doesn't want to be here.

He could grow some balls and tough it out. I am betting Lerner's pockets are deeper than Benteke's!

So if the player goes on strike, then what? Leave him on the bench like everyone else is saying? What good is that going to do? He don't want to play for us anymore. Get rid and get someone who gives a ****.

For the 20k a week he's on the risk can be taken call his bluff

He's gone all in with this transfer request it could cost him his WC spot

Like people previously know Bent was on our bench all of last season earning 3 times what he earns

The line has to be drawn somewhere otherwise we will get nowhere lets hope we stay up next season without any of our other star potential players having a stormer otherwise we will probably lose them as well im talking about Westwood Lowton e.t.c

Rediculous money or he stays imo

So what if he decides to stay on the bench all season? Do you think we will still get the same money that we would get for him now?

The player obliviously don't give a **** about the players, fans or the club. What's the point in having him here?

If Lerner allows Benteke to leave after just one year into a four year contract then it proves that he has not learnt anything about being a successful owner in the Premier League. After 3 seasons of relegation shit it looked slightly promising but to sell Benteke now would just show that Villa have no ambition and I am glad that after 7 years I have decided not to waste any more money on this club with 2 season tickets costing over £1000. I will put my money to better use in future.

What if the player goes on strike as he has done before. Should Lerner still ignore his £25m+ transfer value?

What if the player goes on strike? Let him go on strike for 3 years with no pay and see how that works!

So not only do we lose Benteke by him not playing we also lose the £25m he is worth. Tell me about some more ideas you have?

One of my other ideas is not to have any tolerance of people who just cave in and think every shit thing that happens is inevitable. Does this sound like someone you know?

He could grow some balls and tough it out. I am betting Lerner's pockets are deeper than Benteke's!

So if the player goes on strike, then what? Leave him on the bench like everyone else is saying? What good is that going to do? He don't want to play for us anymore. Get rid and get someone who gives a ****.

Aside from Chelsea and Man City

Every prem side is forced to sell off their best players, even Arsenal had to do it with Van Persie and Manure had to do it with Ronaldo. Such is the power of players and their cANT agents

Benteke's sale has nothing to do with mismanagement or ambition and the money will be reinvested, but the fact is we could not afford the wages of a player that cost 25 mil which is why we won't go down that route. 10/15 mil maybe.

Is does really. We can't afford the very top players fair enough. But equally a well run Aston Villa should be able to compete in the transfer market with all but the top six or seven clubs. Under Lerner we can't even compete with Stoke, Southampton, Swansea  - and that can't be right.

Doug Ellis used to churn out 'we can't compete with Manchester united over player fee's' - he was correct of course - but there are still plenty of prem clubs we should be able to bounce out of the water. The fact that we can't is a real concern for the future of our club.

Ireland was one isolated incident. A player with a reputation of being a tool, with pink rimmed Range Rovers and a **** up haircut. There is nothing to learn from the Ireland-transfer, other than doing your due diligence when buying any player. Every manager make bad transfers, from Mourinho to Ferguson and Lambert. You said a few posts up that "if you are not good enough for Tottenham, you are not good enough for Aston Villa". That makes no sense at all, most of their players are too good for us and most of their reserves probably are good enough for our squad as well. Some of the players in their midfield who don't play much, would be absolute stars in our team.

Nonsense.

Ignore the reputation and the "star dust" that playing for Spurs sprinkles over them. Villa are aiming for the league position higher than Spurs. If they don't want a player, we don't want him.

When I use the phrase "star dust" I actually mean "raw sewage."

You could say the same about Man Utd and Chelsea. But in reality , when Lambert sets his targets for the next couple of seasons, it wont be to finish above us. Rebuilding a club takes years. We've finished 31 points ahead of you for the last 2 seasons. Lambert has a big job on his hands and isn't looking for a quick fix. He seems to be trying to implement a sustainable model. Players like Sigurdsson would be one of the best players at West Brom who finished 8th. He was the best player at Swansea and they finished 9th. You can't expect to just go from being a relegation scrapping team to one buying CL standard players and it's totally unrealistic to expect Lambert to consistently find players of that caliber cheaply from the lower leagues and abroad. You need players that can get you into the top half and then look at a top 7 challenge. The likes of Sigurdsson and Townsend are very much in that mold. They are young, fit, talented and work very hard. Townsend is only on £1500 per week!

Once you are established as a top 7 team and are in a stronger financial position, you can look to push on into the top 4 or 5. But the idea that if players aren't good enough for Spurs mean they aren't good enough for Villa just suggests you have unrealistic expectations at the moment. 

I would agree with most of that.

What some villa fans seem to miss is that prior to Paul Lambert we have been in the doldrums.

It will take a few years and a series of players turn arounds for us to progress.

Benteke in my view despite being " work in progress" has a great future, he is one of the most complete forwards I have seen....unusually great feet for a big man.

Despite, Benteke, being in my view a great prospect, we nearly went down with him scoring 19 league goals.

Its great having Individual goal scorers like him to call a hero, but we need a TEAM( its what PL is building, but we ain't there yet, and prince charming wants glory now.)

We will have centre forwards playing for us not as good as him, but we will finisher higher up the league because the TEAM is better....We probably needed to come across Benteke 3-4 years on.The timing is simply wrong.

My General worry is the Fee....I hope we don't appear to cave in or it gets all shitty with him playing "shots in" Aston Park with his Spurs shirt on.

Every prem side is forced to sell off their best players, even Arsenal had to do it with Van Persie and Manure had to do it with Ronaldo. Such is the power of players and their cANT agents

Benteke's sale has nothing to do with mismanagement or ambition and the money will be reinvested, but the fact is we could not afford the wages of a player that cost 25 mil which is why we won't go down that route. 10/15 mil maybe.

Is does really. We can't afford the very top players fair enough. But equally a well run Aston Villa should be able to compete in the transfer market with all but the top six or seven clubs. Under Lerner we can't even compete with Stoke, Southampton, Swansea  - and that can't be right.

Doug Ellis used to churn out 'we can't compete with Manchester united over player fee's' - he was correct of course - but there are still plenty of prem clubs we should be able to bounce out of the water. The fact that we can't is a real concern for the future of our club.

You have a short memory. 

He's been hammered over the past three years for his financial mismanagement of the club - leading us to three relegation battles in a row. Now you expect him to have learnt from that and to piss away his latest asset's value by keeping him here against his will instead of cashing in now when he's in demand and can command a huge fee?

You have answered your own question 'his latest asset'.

What highly successful businessman would sell his latest asset for below the market value?

Benteke will become more valuable and to sell now would be like selling all your gold bullion reserve when you know its value per ounce is going to significantly increase in 12 months.

So Lerner makes a decision between taking what he can get for him now, having just finished third behind Messi and CR7 in 2013 scoring charts and with a host of clubs after him.

Or forcing him, against his wishes, to come back to preseason and simply pretend none of this transfer request business has happened and hoping he will quietly knuckle down and start scoring for fun again next season, after which he will sell him for what £50, £60, £70m? Maybe he'll sign a new contract too so we can get even more money next season?

I know what I'd would do.

Also a well run Aston Villa should be able to hold onto their best striker for more than one season. Other posters have quoted the likes of Ronaldo and Van Persie and Fabregas etc. to try to prove that even the top clubs lose players. Well I would like to point out that the aforementioned top players gave more than one season of a four season contract in service to these top clubs. For Villa to sell Benteke will just prove that we are, under Lerner, just perennial relegation fodder.

What if the player goes on strike as he has done before. Should Lerner still ignore his £25m+ transfer value?

What if the player goes on strike? Let him go on strike for 3 years with no pay and see how that works!

So not only do we lose Benteke by him not playing we also lose the £25m he is worth. Tell me about some more ideas you have?

One of my other ideas is not to have any tolerance of people who just cave in and think every shit thing that happens is inevitable. Does this sound like someone you know?

Well I don't think having £25m for a player with only one good season is shit. I do however think that not having the player and not having £25m is shit, which is what you want, so this someone is you? Yeah?

I still have a small bit of hope that he will still be here come the start of the season.  I just cant see many clubs bidding £30m for him.  Tbf if they do we would be stupid to turn it down.

I have had these same thoughts.

The thing is, if he were to somehow still be here next season, would Lambert play him or send him to the reserves? For what it's worth, I don't think Lambert would cut off his nose to spite his face. From the statement on the website, it sounds like Lambert would still welcome him back into the fold if he were to remain. Personally, It'd be stupid not to play him when we know how much talent he has.

Not sure the fans would be so forgiving though. That would be awkward, especially after some of the vitriol I've read (not necessarily here, more on Twitter).

He's been hammered over the past three years for his financial mismanagement of the club - leading us to three relegation battles in a row. Now you expect him to have learnt from that and to piss away his latest asset's value by keeping him here against his will instead of cashing in now when he's in demand and can command a huge fee?

You have answered your own question 'his latest asset'.

What highly successful businessman would sell his latest asset for below the market value?

Benteke will become more valuable and to sell now would be like selling all your gold bullion reserve when you know its value per ounce is going to significantly increase in 12 months.

So Lerner makes a decision between taking what he can get for him now, having just finished third behind Messi and CR7 in 2013 scoring charts and with a host of clubs after him.

Or forcing him, against his wishes, to come back to preseason and simply pretend none of this transfer request business has happened and hoping he will quietly knuckle down and start scoring for fun again next season, after which he will sell him for what £50, £60, £70m? Maybe he'll sign a new contract too so we can get even more money next season?

I know what I'd would do.

It's a good job you are not running AVFC then. No balls!

Well I don't think having £25m for a player with only one good season is shit. I do however think that not having the player and not having £25m is shit, which is what you want, so this someone is you? Yeah?

Just take the low offer and run then. Yes, that's how successful businessmen operate!

Players are just employees. They should not be permitted to hold the club to ransom. Let him play or let him rot in the reserves. Teach him and all that follow with his attitude that being a sulky bastard doesn't pay!

Its all very well playing hard ball.. when you can.

We are building, so we don't want all the young prospects around Europe saying don't go there, you won't get out.

we probably signed Okore on the basis of many things but one of them being we don't stand a players way when they want out.

I do understand where you are coming from and it is an extremely tempting stance, but its like trying to keep a woman that wants out....bye

The only way it will change is when we get better and players GENUINELY want to play for us, only prospects do right now, not being unkind to us or them.

Time and hard work is the only healer.

I remember him posting a picture a few weeks ago on twitter with him all kitted out in Miami Heat kit and a Miami Heat cap doing a "gangsta" pose which made me think 'what a pleb'.  He is just your typical superficial youth of today and Im guessing the dizzy lights of London and all its razz'matazz have him drooling at the mouth.  I wish him bad karma and hope he gets thought a lesson out of all this. get it over with quick please spuds or whatever other team want this mercenery

He would need a legitimate grievance to go on strike and get the support of a union. He can't just say 'I don't want to be here anymore'. That's not how it works!

He can though. Under EU law you have freedom of movement and labour throughout the EU. In reality If he wants to go nobody can stop him. Villa are better off playing nice and giving him a clear idea of the price Villa feel he's worth. If we get that he'll be sold, if not he can stay for one more season and the price tag will be less next summer as he'll only have two years left on his deal.

If we get anything above £20m for him it will be good business but we'll never know the fee as it'll be undisclosed.

Players are just employees. They should not be permitted to hold the club to ransom. Let him play or let him rot in the reserves. Teach him and all that follow with his attitude that being a sulky bastard doesn't pay!

Its all very well playing hard ball.. when you can.

We are building, so we don't want all the young prospects around Europe saying don't go there, you won't get out.

we probably signed Okore on the basis of many things but one of them being we don't stand a players way when they want out.

I do understand where you are coming from and it is an extremely tempting stance, but its like trying to keep a woman that wants out....bye

The only way it will change is when we get better and players GENUINELY want to play for us, only prospects do right now, not being unkind to us or them.

Time and hard work is the only healer.

We are building. Yes I agree with that. However, when you are building something you don't really want your components to keep disappearing leaving you short in your building project. The stance with young prospects should not be 'you can come to Villa and use them as a stepping stone because they are a bag of shit club going nowhere'.

Newcastle managed to hold onto Demba Ba when he had that great season

maybe because he was shit for last 6 months of that season plus he never signed a new deal and always had that 7million buyout clause

• Like 1

He would need a legitimate grievance to go on strike and get the support of a union. He can't just say 'I don't want to be here anymore'. That's not how it works!

He can though. Under EU law you have freedom of movement and labour throughout the EU. In reality If he wants to go nobody can stop him. Villa are better off playing nice and giving him a clear idea of the price Villa feel he's worth. If we get that he'll be sold, if not he can stay for one more season and the price tag will be less next summer as he'll only have two years left on his deal.

If we get anything above £20m for him it will be good business but we'll never know the fee as it'll be undisclosed.

The price tag won't be less next season because he will have one year less left on his deal.

If he improves and has a decent world cup then his price will rise. It has nothing to do with his contract length, he's not in his 30's for christ sake!

Edited by pacbuddies

Â