Christian Benteke

Kwan

Does this not reveal the crucial flaw in this "young & hungry" plan?

So we sign players with resale value if they do well and make a profit from them (eg Benteke). So at what point do we keep enough of these players to actually form a team capable of competing for a top 4 place? If we keep being forced to sell players after one or two good seasons, we will find ourselves being back to square one constantly and never form a top team.

I want to be wrong about this, but i don't think i am!

If Lambert can keep re-investing the money into better players, then we will improve and move up the league.

When we start finishing Top 10, or battling for a Europa League place, then players will see reasons to stay.

Selling Benteke for £20m, could bring in 2 or 3 players of the quality of Matt Lowton (for example).

We could buy over 20 Matt Lowton's for £20m!

I can see what Joey is saying. Benteke is a superb footballer, but thats due to us making him that player, making him the focal point in our side, everything went through him. Even if he missed a sitter we'd forgive him. I've watched him when he plays for Belgium, he gets frustrated due to having less of the ball as they have more quality than we do, complicaticating finishing. Now if he goes to Spurs he won't be the focal point, he will have to adapt with Bale, plus we usually hit him direct, Seen Spurs play and thats not there style.

Memo to all clubs -  Keep your deadwood or flog them elsewhere. We at Villa are not interested.

In the meantime, we have some terrific players that you should all be interested in takin' off our hands. Fabulous they are.

Bent, Ireland, Given or Hutton anyone? ;)

They don't have to be willing. If we want say £30M, but don't want to give straight cash then they might let someone go that they would rather hold onto.

The only way that would be acceptable is if we got to choose the player.

And that's possible. They're desperate for a striker. They have lost out on Villa. This is our chance to get Full money or get a realistic pick from their squad. Like i said a player swap seems unrealistic, but those were the players i'd pick from.

Its the job of his agent to maximise his salary and get him at a club where he is likley to win things. To me the finger points at Randy Lerner as to why Aston Villa isn't such a club - and looks further away than ever from being so.

:D :D :D

Villa look further away than ever from being a club that are likely to win things?

Further away than when we had McLeish in charge, and played Alan Hutton on the wing?

According to skybet

Leading the odds for Benteke's replacement is Bobby Zamora he's gone from 10/2 to 2/1

**** no PLEASE

young and hungry

old and over fed

truthhurts saysJuly 9, 2013 11:43am

benteke aint worth 30m he is worth 10m tops he had 1 terrible season in the prem league where he played well on around 5/10 occasions, all season long he was nothing untill the last few matches, he is strong, fouls alot and hits the ball hard so they either go in or miss by a mile, he aint worth nomore than 10m utd sighned hernandez for 8m chelsea sighned demba ba for 8m newcastle got cisse for under 10m arsenal got podolski for under 15m all players with good reputations and id rather have any of them than waste 10m on this kid

:lol:  :cheers:

Yap yap yap yap, I should coco guvner... Chas or Dave? yap yap yap.

Cam orn you Hotspurs...

Well im not sure if you heard the rumours but Benteke was apparently at Spurs training ground.

If this is the case i hope to god we report them at the FA throws the book at them. My definition of book too, not the FA's which is more like a soft pillow that 10 year old girls would use in a pillow fight.

They don't have to be willing. If we want say £30M, but don't want to give straight cash then they might let someone go that they would rather hold onto.

Won't happen. They will only let someone go they don't want.

The only way a player swap could work for us is if we have complete freedom to choose any player we wanted.

If Spurs offer us a gift hamper it's going to be shit.

One of the things about Lambert is the atmosphere he generates in the team and the loyalty he gets from the players into him and the club. That is one thing that may persuade the young hungry bunch to hang around a bit longer than 36 weeks.

That is what is so disappointing about benteke for me.

Not the model we are operating,  that is proving successful.  But that Benteke and his agent are operating outside our model and haven't actually bought into it in the way that others no doubt will and have

I believe this was on the cards from the time he walked through our door.....its sometimes the little things that tell you the big things.

not sure he was ever seen in the major footballer shops in brum like Harvey Nicks 

How would you know this though? Also given that he pretty much lives above Harvey Nicks I suspect its likely he's been there, though not sure what this has to do with someone handing in a transfer request.

Disappointed with him but also fair play to him, if he can get 100k a week then he must take advantage of it. He may not have as good a season next year and a footballer is only one game away from a broken leg.

I just hope wherever he goes its a CL side and not Spurs.

• Like 1

If it is Chelsea that want him, this would be my terms if I was Lambert, Faulkner and Lerner:

£20m plus Lukaku on loan for the whole of next season, with Chelsea paying at least 50% of his salary and a clause that says we can sign him at the end of the season for a max of £10m if we want to.

Completely agree. I think this is the only way I would be happy to see CB leave. Is CB that much better than RL though? I would say we would be getting the better deal here?

He plays more like Drogba did than Lukaku does, which could be something Jose wants. Chelsea would never sell Lukaku for £10m or similar though, they spent nearly £30m buying him a few years ago. Another reason why I believe Chelsea would have no problem slapping £30m on the table for Benteke if they wanted him.

Found this online about Lukaku's deal with Chelsea:

"In August 2011 Lukaku joined Chelsea on a 5 year contract for a fee reported to be around €12 million (£10 million), rising to €20 million (£17 million) in add-ons". And also found this: "However, Lukaku stressed that he was disappointed with his involvement at the end of his debut season, revealing that, after his side's Champions League victory on 19th of May, he refused to hold the trophy as he didn't feel like a winner".

If he played all next season on loan at Villa he would only have around 2 years left on a contract at a club where he's only made 8 starts. I don't think it would be unreasonable of Villa to offer £10m for a player that has 2 years left on his contract and only played 8 times for his host club and having only being signed for a fee of around £10m. I cannot see how add-ons would have been paid as he probably hasn't played enough games to have enforced the necessary clauses.

I agree that Villa would seemingly get the better deal but do Chelsea and Mourinho see it that way? Did they see that Liverpool were getting a massive deal when they paid £50m for Torres?

How do teams like Everton keep their players like Fellaini and Baines. If we had these players they'd all want out.

They've lost Rooney, Rodwell and Arteta (after Arteta stayed for a few years).

Benteke is going, but we appear to be keeping our other 'best' players in Weimann, Lowton, Westwood and Guzan etc (some of our 'better' players).

Hopefully Benteke's replacement is more of a Weimann than a... Benteke!

As we keep building our side, moving away from relegation battles, start finishing Top 10 and looking to fight for a Europa League place, our players will want to stay longer.

In Lambert we trust!!

UTV!

• Like 1

After letting this one sink in I am more coming to terms with it and try to see it in an positive light. At least now we can prepare more for the future as Benteke`s leave was inevitable. I do wonder what Lambert will bring in with this(go for a relative unknown 1-5 million range or will he go for a 10+ player) I do hope that Lambert will hold out for good money and not sell him for anything less than 20. I want more, I want around 25+ range as I think he will only escalate in price, but in reality he is not worth that kind of money for other teams. We will see, best thing would be a club in another league who would pay us handsomely, and quickly too.

Found this online about Lukaku's deal with Chelsea:

"In August 2011 Lukaku joined Chelsea on a 5 year contract for a fee reported to be around €12 million (£10 million), rising to €20 million (£17 million) in add-ons". And also found this: "However, Lukaku stressed that he was disappointed with his involvement at the end of his debut season, revealing that, after his side's Champions League victory on 19th of May, he refused to hold the trophy as he didn't feel like a winner".

If he played all next season on loan at Villa he would only have around 2 years left on a contract at a club where he's only made 8 starts. I don't think it would be unreasonable of Villa to offer £10m for a player that has 2 years left on his contract and only played 8 times for his host club and having only being signed for a fee of around £10m. I cannot see how add-ons would have been paid as he probably hasn't played enough games to have enforced the necessary clauses.

His season at West Brom will have changed the situation slightly. Plus he's more of age now to feature at Chelsea. I believe he'll feature a surprising amount there next season. And someone's cost has no bearing on their value. As we're about to show with Benteke himself.

Â