Christian Benteke

Kwan

The point is though, there is nothing to say heis really desperate to leave either.

For me, there is more that points to him leaving than staying. I suppose it is all about how you perceive it.

For me (though for some reason people see it as negativity), I look at it based on trends....

Villa have a habit of selling their best players

There are a number of clubs linked who can offer more than we can

He is yet to sign a new contract

He is yet to say that he wants to stay

In the past, those behaviours have led to a player being sold.

Thats not enormously negative imo. Its just an opinion I have made based on experience. Other people seem to want to focus on the world cup argument and the fact that we have been told he is not for sale (though we have been told that before). That's fine. Atm, neither argument is right or wrong.

Who is the biggest player we've sold with 3 years left on their contract?

Milner had 2, Young had 1, Downing 2, Barry 1. I can't really think of anyone we've sold with 3 years left.

"The Times" yesterday said "Aston Villa have told Tottenham that Christian Benteke the Belgium forward who has 3 years left on his deal will cost as much as £25m". I guess this would have come from their end but it is not a figure we should be mentioning to any prospective buyer unless we are about to agree a huge doorverkooppercentage as a part of any such deal. I am still concerned that he will go once the season ticket activity is at an end to fund the signings already made and I will be until a new contract is offered and signed.

• Like 1

He did say he wouldn`t leave until the last days like last year if something did happen. Either way, we will know more when he gets back, everything else is just rants/speculation. Do think he is going to stay one year, he will not get the move he wants this summer, I am pretty sure of it. Going to spurs will do nothing for him at this point. People need to remember that he did have his breakout season this year, with us.  He is 22, and he didn`t explode on the scene at 18. If he wants to continue that he should at least remain here for another season. That`s my look at it, and I hope he feels the same way.

Looks like Spurs about to come in for him proper

LINK: http://tinyurl.com/pbb68ul

I have to say if we sell him for 25m to a club we could be rivaling over the next couple of seasons then i think this club has

A) Lost the plot

B) severe lack of ambition

C) Badly undersold our biggest asset.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

got to love the papers... Tottenham 'closing in' on Benteke. Why? because they DECIDED hes their target. Thats nice and all. They dont have a god given right to him. **** off Spurs. 45 million for you lot. 35 million for everyone else.

The only way Spurs will be able to afford Benteke is if they sell Bale, something they are adamant they will not do. On top of that, I don't think the Europa League is going to swing Benteke's head incredibly. On top of that, there were never any quotes backing up an actual bid with Defoe involved at all, let alone any quotes in this new article to make me think Spurs will make a bid now.

Basically, this is just more crap made up by London journos.

"The northerners look poised to sign David Villa." This is probably the only viable part of the article as it seems it may well happen, in which case, they will definitely not be lumping a shed load of money on another striker.

Benteke will go to Germany at the weekend following his return to training on Saturday, he will have had plenty of time to think about whether he wants to sign a contract extension and in turn we will either hear of him signing the contract in the near future or we will understand that he wants to leave.

Either way, the coming weeks will tell us what he wants to do and I doubt any clubs would make a bid for him until they are certain he wants to leave us (i.e. he doesn't sign the extension that we've put on the table).

Edited by samjp26

Are players and agents actually that bothered about World Cups / internationals anymore ? Or has watching the English national side distorted my view.

Benteke is actually bothered by the world cup whole belgium is bothered we are keen to go to brasil im pretty sure our bondscoach told benteke to stay at least for 1 more season. i hope the ppl around benteke just dont make his head crazy. 

Since we consistently have to put up with all of this b*llocks spewing from London journalists, wouldn't it be hilarious if the Birmingham Mail retaliated.

"Spurs offer £25 million plus Gareth Bale in cash + player deal"

It'd be fantastic to see how quickly twitter becomes flooded with angry Spurs fans and journalists.

• Like 1

The only way Spurs will be able to afford Benteke is if they sell Bale, something they are adamant they will not do. On top of that, I don't think the Europa League is going to swing Benteke's head incredibly. On top of that, there were never any quotes backing up an actual bid with Defoe involved at all, let alone any quotes in this new article to make me think Spurs will make a bid now.

"The northerners look poised to sign David Villa." This is probably the only viable part of the article as it seems it may well happen, in which case, they will definitely not be lumping a shed load of money on another striker.

Benteke will go to Germany at the weekend following his return to training on Saturday, he will have had plenty of time to think about whether he wants to sign a contract extension and in turn we will either hear of him signing the contract in the near future or we will understand that he wants to leave.

Either way, the coming weeks will tell us what he wants to do and I doubt any clubs would make a bid for him until they are certain he wants to leave us (i.e. he doesn't sign the extension that we've put on the table).

Wouldn't they be southerners??

The Cockernee media a**eholes only consider London to exist so technically Spurs are northerners...

• Like 1

As someone who lives in South London I can assure you that Tottenham is a distant and lawless northern land.

As someone who lives in South London I can assure you that Tottenham is a distant and lawless northern land.

But really everyone in London is a southerner - then the midlands crew - then the northern bandits - and the scottish cave dwellers

Â