Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

It is funny that some of us (after the chelsea display anyway) would want Bacuna at right back even if we were offered Philip Lahm... the moods are swingin', swingin'.... 

You need actual footballers in a PL midfield. Bacuna makes Reo Coker look like Messi.

dont say things you don't mean ;) Reo-Coker was like an elephant on skates when he had the ball

• Like 4

It is funny that some of us (after the chelsea display anyway) would want Bacuna at right back even if we were offered Philip Lahm... the moods are swingin', swingin'....

I don't think anybody would take Bacuna over Lahm, bit of a stupid thing to assume

• Like 1

I don't think anybody would take Bacuna over Lahm, bit of a stupid thing to assume

yeah that was a bit of an exagerration on my behalf, I do apologise. 

What I mean is that we have come from 'real prospect, best scoring right back in europe' to more or less a ball boy. Bacuna is decent, he will get better, and lets have more hope in this guy because on some of the performances he has given us he deserves it

There was even talk of deserving a wc place, you're right after  a few good games fans do get excited and sometimes way over the top. If anyone from holland was watching him the past two games then hes got even less chance than he already had.

Decent player but not a defender

He's a luxury we can't afford at RB at the minute

I can only see him in that position as a wingback with 3 CB's with 5 at the back or if we actually had a quality DM with a brain that could drift into his position whenever he made runs forward

At the moment we do not have good enough players for him to play this role and were suffering defensively because of it 

Edited by AshVilla

I still think Leandro could be moulded into a quality box-to-box midfielder but it would require him to run a lot and put in more tackles. 

It would also require him to be able to control a football and make a five yard pass under pressure. Skills he is severly lacking right now.

• Like 1

I still think Leandro could be moulded into a quality box-to-box midfielder but it would require him to run a lot and put in more tackles.

The problem is that if he is going to take anybody's place in midfield, it will be Delph's and that obviously won't be happening any time soon.

• Like 1

It would also require him to be able to control a football and make a five yard pass under pressure. Skills he is severly lacking right now.

He has demonstrated on many occasions that he is capable though, albeit inconsistently.

• Like 1

The problem is that if he is going to take anybody's place in midfield, it will be Delph's and that obviously won't be happening any time soon.

Not necessarily. I would say Bacuna is more likely to replace EL Ahmadi, which he did against Cardiff and very much won us the game. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Not necessarily. I would say Bacuna is more likely to replace EL Ahmadi, which he did against Cardiff (alongside Delph) and very much won us the game.

He didn't. We switched to a flat 4-4-2 in that game after Lowton came on and Bacuna moved to the right-wing. Also if you want him to play as a box-to-box midfielder then it only makes sense that he would takes the place of our current box-to-box midfielder which is Fabian Delph.

• Like 1

Not necessarily. I would say Bacuna is more likely to replace EL Ahmadi, which he did against Cardiff (alongside Delph) and very much won us the game.

He didn't. We switched to a flat 4-4-2 in that game after Lowton came on and Bacuna moved to the right-wing. Also if you want him to play as a box-to-box midfielder then it only makes sense that he would takes the place of our current box-to-box midfielder which is Fabian Delph.

Yes, my mistake, Delph did not play in that game.  I remember Bacuna being everywhere in the second half against Cardiff, I also remember him delivering an excellent cross for Kozak but their keeper pulled off a great save.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

He isn't that sort of player in a million years though.  If he's got anything to his game, it's a bit of skill and the ability to beat people.  He might turn into a half decent wide midfielder, or a Tommy Johnson type who plays behind the front two.  Saying that he could be a box to box midfielder if he ran more and put in more tackles is like he saying he could be a target man up front if he won more headers and scored 20 a season! 

Saying that he could be a box to box midfielder if he ran more and put in more tackles

I'm getting a bit of deja vu here according to whoscored he averages 2.5 tackles per game which puts him above the likes of Jones, Evra, Clyne, Coleman, Walker, Naughton and Ivanovic.

He isn't that sort of player in a million years though.  If he's got anything to his game, it's a bit of skill and the ability to beat people.  He might turn into a half decent wide midfielder, or a Tommy Johnson type who plays behind the front two.  Saying that he could be a box to box midfielder if he ran more and put in more tackles is like he saying he could be a target man up front if he won more headers and scored 20 a season! 

Not really, I am asking him to do the minimum - more running and imposing himself into games (which he did in the latter stages of the Cardiff game).  

Saying that he could be a box to box midfielder if he ran more and put in more tackles

I'm getting a bit of deja vu here according to whoscored he averages 2.5 tackles per game which puts him above the likes of Jones, Evra, Clyne, Coleman, Walker, Naughton and Ivanovic.

He has had a lot more defending to do than those players though, as they play in better teams. 

Saying that he could be a box to box midfielder if he ran more and put in more tackles

He has had a lot more defending to do than those players though, as they play in better teams.
Well that's funny because Flanagan, Azpilicueta, Zabaleta, Baines and Debuchy are all above him. Surely the same logic of playing in worse teams can't apply to them.

Edit - In fact by my reckoning the only fullbacks from a lower placed team with higher tpg are Rangel and Moxey.

Edited by ArteSuave
  • Like 2