Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

Exactly why I laughed off the link to Arsenal as their replacement for Bacary Sagna. Bacuna is never going to become a good full-back, his anticipation and positioning is never going to be up to standards. The way he fails to see the smart move before a ball comes down is astonishing, practically asking for trouble every time. Lowton is a defender, Bacuna is not. Easy as that, so what the hell is Lambert seeing?

This arguement kind of fails by the fact that you think Lowton is a good defender.

• Like 3

Exactly why I laughed off the link to Arsenal as their replacement for Bacary Sagna. Bacuna is never going to become a good full-back, his anticipation and positioning is never going to be up to standards. The way he fails to see the smart move before a ball comes down is astonishing, practically asking for trouble every time. Lowton is a defender, Bacuna is not. Easy as that, so what the hell is Lambert seeing?

This arguement kind of fails by the fact that you think Lowton is a good defender.

And your stupid attempt to tell me something failed even worse, since you read my two sentences and added something I clearly didn't write. I said Lowton is a defender, I did not say he is a good defender. Bacuna is not a defender, he is a midfielder. It's hard to say how good Lowton is these days, or for the future, but he is better at defending than Bacuna every day of the week. Lowton has the defensive gene, which means he knows if he looses the ball they will most likely create a big chance - Bacuna is always positioning himself like a midfielder, which means he knows there will be a defender behind him to rectify his mistake. It doesn't of course, because he plays at the back and it's painful to watch almost every game.

Say what you want about Lowton, but a bad defender is still better than a bad midfielder trying to play right-back. The first thing you learn about defending is taking out space, anticipating runs, staying on line with the other defenders, playing people offside, clearing the ball instead of taking risk and so on - I would say Bacuna is failing at all these things. Silly attempts to trick a player instead of just whacking the ball out of play is a common denominator with this guy, leaving him exposed all the time. That tackle for Crouch's goal and the mistake for the third was just pathetic, you couldn't even do that on purpose and succeed. Get him out of the team, a few free-kicks doesn't make up for all the goals we concede because of him.

• Like 1

So your argument basically boils down to natural position then. Lowton is a natural defender ergo he is therefore a better defender. That is not a viewpoint I suscribe to personally.

The first thing you learn about defending is taking out space, anticipating runs, staying on line with the other defenders, playing people offside, clearing the ball instead of taking risk and so on - I would say Bacuna is failing at all these things.

And Lowton hasn't failed at those things? The difference though is that Bacuna has the pace to recover when he is caught out, Lowton doesn't.

I always thought we looked affective when Bacuna was right wing and Lowton was at right back - between them they have enough attributes to get defending and wing play sorted.

Part of me thinks that everytime Bacuna scores or attacks well and gets praise the more he loses sight of the fact he is playing as a defender. You can't be a winger first and then right back when you feel like it - which was evident today.

The baffling mis-use of Albrighton continues.

and the most awful subs line up in living memory.

Helenius and Tonev must be truly shocking if they can't get a sniff with that lot on the bench.

and finally Lambert needs to bench Gabby - he just doesn't look at the races at all.

He's come on leaps and bounds since the turn of the year in terms of defending, one bad game (which was shared with the entire team may I add) does not all of a sudden mean he is bad at defending.

That doesn't mean he is the best in the world at it, but we've seen him keep several players out of games since January and it wasn't down to luck. The whole team had a bad day today, we can look at individual errors or mishaps but looking back, most of the players out there **** up at some point.

I was the first one a few months ago to express my annoyance about him not being played in his natural position, but since then he has worked hard and improved himself at right back. It will still take some time but so far he has done a good job in my opinion and anybody who has seen all of our games since the turn of the year will probably agree.

Is he perfect? Of course not, nobody is, plus he isn't playing in a familiar position and he is still young. Is he starting to get familiar with the position and improve? Yes, most definitely.

• Like 1

Lowton has no pace, no strength, positionally poor, no acceleration, and doesn't anticipate danger.Must have been responsible for loads of goals last season, 2 against Ure to lose the game 3-2.

Bacuna, i think, could develop into a very good RB. Excellent against Hazard, Shaw, Suarez etc, but he will never be good enough in midfield, and Lowton certainly won't be good enough at Prem level as a RB. 

Lowton has no pace, no strength, positionally poor, no acceleration, and doesn't anticipate danger.Must have been responsible for loads of goals last season, 2 against Ure to lose the game 3-2

Indeed but you know what it's like, the usual short-term memory kicks in when poor players haven't played for a while.

Lowton was everyone's favourite player at the end of last season. Since then he's played about three games, and never had a run in the side.

He's no great defender, but arguably not much worse than Bacuna. He is a brilliant crosser, and is very reliable in possession.

Liking Bacuna doesn't mean you have to hate Lowton.

• Like 1

I like them both and think that they should both be starting. Bacuna is a better defender, mainly down to his pace and strength. Lowton is an excellent footballer who offers a lot creatively.

I would have been pretty confident seeing Lowton and Albrighton coming on yesterday.

• Like 1

Surprised it's as many as 13. My guess is we did okay in those games, even if Lowton's defending was a bit flaky.

He was initially dropped for being a liability, was given another run after Bacuna had those two bad games and was dropped again for being a liability.

I agree with the above about his footballing ability and that is why I wouldn't mind him being given a go in midfield but I don't want to see him placed in position of defensive responsibility again.

I think Bacuna was especially prone to the post-chelsea ego error.  He played very well against chelsea (hurrah) but then went into Stoke over confident and not thinking like a defender first.  But he was playing the position that must think defender first.  Like the whole team, falsely encouraged by Benteke's early goal, they all just got careless and lackluster.  He'll either learn from that ridiculous, foolish, mistake, or he'll never become a good RB.

I have always liked the theory of Lowton at RB and Bacuna at RM, but in the very brief times I've seen it, it really didn't look as productive and dynamic as I thought it might.  It still might come good, I do like it in theory, but it would take some time and some blunders to learn to cooperate well.

• Like 2

I think Bacuna was especially prone to the post-chelsea ego error.  He played very well against chelsea (hurrah) but then went into Stoke over confident and not thinking like a defender first.  But he was playing the position that must think defender first.  Like the whole team, falsely encouraged by Benteke's early goal, they all just got careless and lackluster.  He'll either learn from that ridiculous, foolish, mistake, or he'll never become a good RB.

I have always liked the theory of Lowton at RB and Bacuna at RM, but in the very brief times I've seen it, it really didn't look as productive and dynamic as I thought it might.  It still might come good, I do like it in theory, but it would take some time and some blunders to learn to cooperate well.

I agree Bacuna was arrogant. He's done well at RB because he's been battling. He took it too easy and got punished. Like you said, let's hope he learns a few things from this game. Hopefully Lambert has a word with him.