Drugs

PussEKatt

People say cannabis is harmless, but it's not harmless. To a still developing brain, daily use of cannabis for 2-3 years will potentially **** you up.

Cannabis being dangerous has become a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy.

It's become a victim of its legal status and been bred unscrupulously to make some freakishly strong strains.

The difference between the Moroccan/Soap Bar of 20 odd years ago and the AK47/Bogbubbles of now is enormous.

It's a bit like comparing a pint of beer to a pint of scotch.

During my teen years I had a group of friends that used to smoke weed almost every night (One of them had parents that seemingly turned a blind eye to them 'hanging out' in the garage every night). Anyway over the period of a couple of years I watched them all deteriorate massively. 

One lad in particular, was really bright with great prospects but turned into a waster who could barely string a sentence together. When he did speak it was so slow he looked like he was permanently stoned.

Yup, depending on the person, it can be devastating. It can transform you into a complete zombie. Like any mind altering drug, people need to use caution and moderation. I agree with the slow crawl towards legalization of cannabis, but there is a lot of misinformation out there. It's not a harmless herb.

Edited by maqroll

friend of mine from school however did think he could fly after taking coke ( or whatever)

If this was the Bollitics thread that would be the equivalent of saying David Cameron is leader of the BNP (or whatever) i.e. all politicians are the same / all drugs are the same.

You're better than lazy generalisations like that Tone.

Not really sure what you are saying here ??

It's a true story , of course the drugs in his system could have just been a coincidence and he could have fallen off the balcony , but somehow I doubt it

I'm saying that all drugs are different.  You can't just say "he was on coke or whatever", as coke wouldn't make someone think they could fly.

All drugs have different effects on the body and mind and as such should be treated differently, by users and in the eyes of the law.

got ya ... I think possibly you are being a bit "pedant "  in this instance though

I put " coke (or whatever) " as I wasn't actually there that night and don't know his exact reasons or what he took  .... I just went for the R Kelly version of events as an explanation  ...  but it could just have easily been that whatever he had taken aggravated suicidal tendencies within him and he jumped  ( I believe that can be a side effect of coke ? )

Ok the more experienced / enlightened / foolhardy  (delete as appropriate)  VT'ers can pick holes based on their knowledge of said drug ... I have no experience in these areas of what they do or don't make you do  ... and no real desire to find out  ...  Apart from a brief encounter of sniffing Amyl nitrite  in the toilets of a nightclub in Uxbridge with Pogo Patterson and Zammo Maguire whilst singing "Just say no"  in my late teens :)

friend of mine from school however did think he could fly after taking coke ( or whatever)

If this was the Bollitics thread that would be the equivalent of saying David Cameron is leader of the BNP (or whatever) i.e. all politicians are the same / all drugs are the same.

It's a true story , of course the drugs in his system could have just been a coincidence and he could have fallen off the balcony , but somehow I doubt it

I'm saying that all drugs are different.  You can't just say "he was on coke or whatever", as coke wouldn't make someone think they could fly.

All drugs have different effects on the body and mind and as such should be treated differently, by users and in the eyes of the law.

got ya ... I think possibly you are being a bit "pedant "  in this instance though

I put " coke (or whatever) " as I wasn't actually there that night and don't know his exact reasons or what he took  .... I just went for the R Kelly version of events as an explanation  ...  but it could just have easily been that whatever he had taken aggravated suicidal tendencies within him and he jumped  ( I believe that can be a side effect of coke ? )

Ok the more experienced / enlightened / foolhardy  (delete as appropriate)  VT'ers can pick holes based on their knowledge of said drug ... I have no experience in these areas of what they do or don't make you do  ... and no real desire to find out  ...  Apart from a brief encounter of sniffing Amyl nitrite  in the toilets of a nightclub in Uxbridge with Pogo Patterson and Zammo Maguire whilst singing "Just say no"  in my late teens :)

I think your opinion would hold more weight for the rest of us if it was coming from a position of knowledge, rather than it being based on a Chinese whispers style anecdote you heard once. 

I think your opinion would hold more weight for the rest of us if it was coming from a position of knowledge, rather than it being based on a Chinese whispers style anecdote you heard once. 

yeah, I'm the same with gun law. It's not until you've had a gun and shot a man that your opinion is truly valid.

• Like 1

The only opinion I offered was that I wouldn't take drugs   .. perhaps you are proof that the drugs don't work ;)

The Chinese Whisper anecdote as you have decided to call it was a school friend of mine .. we weren't best mates but we were friends  .... so you'll forgive me if I say " **** you"  in this instance

Big difference between guns and drugs.

Guns generally (not always) harm a third party

Drugs generally (though again not exclusively) harm the user

guns don't kill people

wrappers do

• Like 1

unless you can post proof of your expertise in both these areas I'm not sure you are qualified to say that  :)

unless you can post proof of your expertise in both these areas I'm not sure you are qualified to say that  :)

yeah, I'm the same with the aggressively gay community. It's not until you've had a hot gun and shot a man that your opinion is truly valid.

I can. Did drugs in the past and also twice so far in my life had a gun pulled on me

The only opinion I offered was that I wouldn't take drugs   .. perhaps you are proof that the drugs don't work ;)

The Chinese Whisper anecdote as you have decided to call it was a school friend of mine .. we weren't best mates but we were friends  .... so you'll forgive me if I say " **** you"  in this instance

You don't seem to know the circumstances of his death ("might have been suicide") and have said you were not interested in finding out but are using it to form the basis of a political opinion. 

I'm saying that all drugs are different. You can't just say "he was on coke or whatever", as coke wouldn't make someone think they could fly.

got ya ... I think possibly you are being a bit "pedant " in this instance though

I put " coke (or whatever) " as I wasn't actually there that night and don't know his exact reasons or what he took .... I just went for the R Kelly version of events as an explanation ... but it could just have easily been that whatever he had taken aggravated suicidal tendencies within him and he jumped ( I believe that can be a side effect of coke ? )

Ok the more experienced / enlightened / foolhardy (delete as appropriate) VT'ers can pick holes based on their knowledge of said drug ... I have no experience in these areas of what they do or don't make you do ... and no real desire to find out ... Apart from a brief encounter of sniffing Amyl nitrite in the toilets of a nightclub in Uxbridge with Pogo Patterson and Zammo Maguire whilst singing "Just say no" in my late teens :)

The only opinion I offered was that I wouldn't take drugs .. perhaps you are proof that the drugs don't work ;)

The Chinese Whisper anecdote as you have decided to call it was a school friend of mine .. we weren't best mates but we were friends .... so you'll forgive me if I say " **** you" in this instance

You don't seem to know the circumstances of his death ("might have been suicide") and have said you were not interested in finding out but are using it to form the basis of a political opinion.
I said I wasn't interested in finding out what the different effects of different drugs were so please don't misquote me

My school mate was as the clue suggests a mate from school , so we are talking 25 years ago and before Internet and easy access to local news so forgive me for not having the full facts to hand ... he was known as a regular cocaine user and so I loosely assumed he was on Coke when he died ( though i did clearly state " coke or whatever" in my original post ) ... and then having been told by someone in this thread that coke doesn't make you believe you can fly I speculated that maybe he jumped as coke is rumoured to heighten suicide tendencys...

I've said that IMO drugs are bad and that I won't take them ... I've not offered any opinion on people that do take them or any other opinion really ... so I'm not sure what political agenda I'm pushing tbh ...

Edited by tonyh29

Cocain is known to bring you some depression after the come down, or the morning after. I never had it, and while some of my friends never have had it some has gotten hit by it. It supposedly is much worse than you would original think.

I would say if you are depressed, then maybe try some weed on your own and see how that effects your mood. Be careful that is too cause paranoia if you are in a bad setting, but this is relatively easy to control unless you see police 5 feet ahead of you. A lot of psychedelic drugs have had researches that says it can help against it, it is certainly not something to be ignored at all. Shrooms can really change your perspective on a lot of things, while might combat some of the more underlying issues you might have.

Of course there is surprise that people who these things day in and out can often fall out, it really is self explanatory. 

Cocaine is more popular on the clubbing scene, the majority of young aged males and females between 18-25 will have at least tried it once or twice on a night out. After taking 'sniff' you will more than likely as Vandaq put it 'have a come down' and be on a right 'downer' for the majority of the following day, also it can after being taken by some people cause people to start seeing or imagining things but it is very unlikely. 

Normally just a buzz at the time of taking then afterwards a downer, just ask Tulisa lol :P

Edited by Avflife

To be fair to Tony, Cocaine use can cause delusions and hallucinations (more common with crack cocaine) so I don't find his story that unbelievable.

But the point is, given the circumstances pointing the blame at LSD or some other hallucinogen would have been likely far closer to the truth than say Coke.

Coke & Ecstacy etc (like alcohol).. are social drugs. People interact with other people using the effects of these drugs.

LSD, Crack, Heroin are reclusive mind bender drugs. Which get people doped out or seeing images that aren't there etc..

Of course given the shady nature of drugs many of these can be crossed over, LSD in coke or whatever. But what people miss out on is that say "Coke" or "Ecstacy" caused a person to do A, B or C doesn't actually mean the cause was the supposed main active drug. It could have been another drug present.

I would really love some proper debate on if pure MDMA or Coke was decriminalised along with say Weed, and pure or safely cut versions were sold by professionals. Would the damage done to organised crime be significant? 

As I'm not sure the effects of these drugs are anyway more harmful than Alcohol and Tobacco are. While taxation can lead to better awareness and treatment. 

I think MDMA is much safer than alcohol, both for your body and for society. Unfortunately MDMA came about at a time when new drugs are banned if not much is known about them whilst alcohol has been with us for thousands of years.

Edited by LondonLax

Not sure about the merits of prescribing Ecstaxy for depression, the come downs are truly appalling. Not to mention it can leave you 'wired' for a couple of days, thus raising the question of safety. 

I've since found that a jog in the morning, reading a book in the afternoon and peppermint tea to be a far better way of dealing with your mind's troubles.

I was quite a big dick-head in my early 20's, though I'm glad i've got the experiences in my locker.

I think MDMA is much safer than alcohol, both for your body and for society. Unfortunately MDMA came about at a time when new drugs are banned if not much is known about them whilst alcohol has been with us for thousands of years.

do you really believe mdma is safer than alcohol? really?

Â