Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

So with a midfield that has 1 goal in 90 odd appearances were screaming for a midfielder that is happy to have a crack at goal, we sign one and destroy him after 70 minutes into his full debut because he didn't score with one of his 7 shots.

Edited by Jimzk5

So with a midfield that has 1 goal in 90 odd appearances were screaming for a midfielder that is happy to have a crack at goal, we sign one and destroy him after 70 minutes into his full debut because he didn't score with one of his 7 shots.

It isn't black or white. We need more goals from our midfield to move up the table but the midfield taking shots at every opportunity isn't the answer. The odd shot from distance if the opportunity arises is good. The sole objective of shooting every time you get the ball in an advanced position is bad as it pisses away possession when there is a chance to create a better opportunity. In my opinion Tonev has potential but judging from the little I've seen of him he needs to improve his decision-making. However, he seems reasonably proficient technically, has the pace to create a half yard and tracks back defensively. Definitely a project for Lambert and his staff to work on. Especially as some of his decisions to shoot may be a result of the pressure to impress early on in a big step up in his career.

• Like 2

I am writing him off. Ill put my hand up. I hope he proves me wrong and scores 10 goals this season. He wont though..

I am happy for him to get more chances dont get me wrong.. but from what ive seen of him and the few pre season games i saw with him.. I dont think hes very good.

Go on Tonev.. prove me wrong son ;)

I just rewatched the game. All the negatives are true BUT he had a nice little spell at the start of the second half in terms of tackles and trying to get a counter going. I watched him whenever he was on camera he really put in a shift work rate wise, he also has some very good pace.

For those of us looking for positives, some hope there.

Â