Sky TV packages

Pongotastic

54 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Rumours that Sky are going to change the encryption on the SD channels so Zgemma SD may all go down the pan like the HD Channels did.

Yeah probabaly but even if they do it from now to a year I would have saved significant amount of money on sky this year! 

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

Rumours that Sky are going to change the encryption on the SD channels so Zgemma SD may all go down the pan like the HD Channels did.

False rumours. It's impossible for them to do. The old SD boxes aren't compatible with the new encryption methods so it will never be achieved. 

Unless they replace every SD box in the world, which they won't do... 

Edited by PieFacE

15 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

False rumours. It's impossible for them to do. The old SD boxes aren't compatible with the new encryption methods so it will never be achieved. 

Unless they replace every SD box in the world, which they won't do... 

They can turn them off whenever they feel like it. Their contract is that they have to offer free to air services like they offer pay services. If they want to drop SD versions of their channels, that's up to them. They know how many (paying) customers it will affect and can make that call at the time which suits them best.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

They can turn them off whenever they feel like it. Their contract is that they have to offer free to air services like they offer pay services. If they want to drop SD versions of their channels, that's up to them. They know how many (paying) customers it will affect and can make that call at the time which suits them best.

Oh they can turn the channels off of course, I wasn't disputing that. I'm just saying they can't encrypt the SD channels like they have done for the HD channels because the older Sky SD boxes aren't compatible with the newer encryption which HD channels use. If they encrypted the SD channels with the same encryption the HD channels use, anyone with an SD box would be watching a black screen.

One day they will just turn SD off, I'd guess not for another 5-10 years yet though... 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

I reckon all SD channels will be gone in 5 years, Most broadcaster all ready have free to air HD Channels on either free view or free sat and its only really sports/movies channels we have to pay for in HD.

Broadcasters will soon want to free up as much bandwidth as possible for future UHD channels so will end up sacking off the SD channel sooner rather than later.

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kingman said:

I reckon all SD channels will be gone in 5 years, Most broadcaster all ready have free to air HD Channels on either free view or free sat and its only really sports/movies channels we have to pay for in HD.

Broadcasters will soon want to free up as much bandwidth as possible for future UHD channels so will end up sacking off the SD channel sooner rather than later.

Surely the bandwidth they'd save by turning off the SD channels is tiny in relation to broadcasting UHD?  (I don't know this BTW,  genuinely asking the question) 

14 hours ago, Kingman said:

They probably will turn off eventually Kingman but like pieface says I dont think it will be for many many years. I guess what sky could do is make SD quality so bad people are not interested in SD channels anymore

But for me the quality on my Zgemma is good enough and at least I am saving a significant amount of money a year. Eventaully I may go back to SKY once they oofer much more affordable deals and not bumping up the price every 3-4 months by a £1 here or there 

• Like 1

Anyway back on topic... 

These offers are valid until 4th December!

Sky Box Set Bundle with 1TB box, free Xbox One S, 32” LG TV, Lenovo Laptop or £150 reward
£38 per month

Sky Box Set Bundle + Sky Q 2TB Multiscreen, free 43in Ultra HD LG TV or Xbox One S or £150 reward
£50 per month

Existing Sky TV Customers only
Box set bundles from £6 extra a month plus free Samsung Galaxy Tab E

Sky Original Bundle, free 32in LG TV or Lenovo laptop
£20 per month

Sky Variety Bundle, free 32in LG TV, Lenovo laptop or £150 rewards
£32 per month

Sky Cinema half price for 12 months 
Sky Cinema usually costs £18 per month, but it's down to just £9 with this offer. Or, £4.24 extra a month for 12 months if you have Sky Sports.

Sky Sports half price for 12 months
Sky Sports is also reduced from £27.50 per month to just £13.75.

Add Sky Cinema and Sky Sports half price for 12 months
reduced from £36.00 per month to just £18.00

Sky Broadband Unlimited for £15 per month including line rental
Original price £27.40 per month to just £15.00 per month.

23 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Eventaully I may go back to SKY once they oofer much more affordable deals and not bumping up the price every 3-4 months by a £1 here or there 

Dude the link on the previous page will get you 75% off and £100 credit. 

Do you want Sky to pay you monthly for taking out a subscription? ;)

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

King man seriously you need to work for sky you would be top sales man!!!

• Like 1

On 11/26/2016 at 07:40, Kingman said:

I still couldn't get any Sky packages to be anywhere near to BT's. I wish someone would show me how. Discounting ridiculously expensive down to very expensive is still expensive ;)

I know there's a lot more content on Sky. But you do pay for it.

11 hours ago, darrenm said:

I still couldn't get any Sky packages to be anywhere near to BT's. I wish someone would show me how. Discounting ridiculously expensive down to very expensive is still expensive ;)

I know there's a lot more content on Sky. But you do pay for it.

Use the 75% off link and get the £100 credit mate.

On 26 November 2016 at 09:42, Demitri_C said:

King man seriously you need to work for sky you would be top sales man!!!

Just doing my bit for the Great British Public :P

Edited by Kingman

8 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

What if I wanted just Sky broadband, seems very expensive for fibre max. Was thinking of coming back to sky now I have moved house, but been told about these dodgy Now Tv boxes with Plex installed. Seems might just need braoband

Decent offer at mo...

BT Infinity 1 Unlimited + Landline and £150 cash back for £30pm 

Usually around £45pm for existing customers with No cash back. 

Will also get you free BT Sport Pack free on the Sky platform for 6 months then around £20pm for last 6 months 

https://www.cable.co.uk/ 

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Free Christmas Gift From Sky 

Original and Variety customers, who have connected boxes, will get access to Box Sets (Standard definition and in line with their current subscription) for three months and, customers who already have Box Sets or a non-connected box, receive a Sky Store voucher worth £13.99/€16.99 to spend on a movie of their choice. 

https://secure.sky.com/thankyou?DCMP=tva-skycom:ec_thank_you&DCMP=afc-385281&affiliate=true&postCode=AA11AA

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

You can get a free Sky Q box, a £25 voucher from sky, and £121 cashback through topcashback.co.uk if a new sky customer signs up foe the Original or Variety bundle. there is however a £14.99 setup fee, and it's a 12month contract.

The Sky Q Variety bundle is £21.40 per month before cashback and rhe voucher and works out at £9.25 per month after!

With the cashback and the £25 gift card taken into consideration,the Original bundle works our at just £1.23 per month! Great if you just want a few select sky channels and a tv recorder. 

http://www.sky.com/shop?DCMP=afc-385281&affiliate=true&postCode=AA11AA 

Edited by Kingman

• 4 weeks later...

Sky unlimited standard broadband & line, '£13/mth' (doesn't require Sky TV). We've blagged 29,000 codes via this Sky link* for line rent & up-to-17Mb speed unltd broadband for a year. It's available to anyone who hasn't had Sky phone, TV or broadband in the last year, and can receive it (94% of the UK can - you're told when applying). You must pay by direct debit. Available till 11.59pm on Fri 20 Jan unless all the codes have gone first. Here's how it works:

- Unlimited broadband and line rent £12/mth for 12 months (then £27.40/mth). There's a £5 'card verification fee', refunded on your first bill.
- You pay £9.95 p&p for a 'free' compulsory router. It's added to your first bill.
- Cost analysis: All in, it's a steal at £153.95 for 1yr before calls, equiv to £12.83/mth. For call charge info & whether you need to pay an extra £20 for a new line (if switching from cable, & a few others), see Sky analysis

I have Sky Q which I signed up for under my wife's name as it was a new customer offer. Cancelled Sky TV but kept Sky Broadband as they gave me an offer of Free Broadband and to be able to use my Sky box record facilities.

Been getting a few calls which are apparently of Sky and had blocked the number, but had a call while driving home last night from Sky offering me my old contract of Box sets and movies for free and without signing a new contract. Unfortunately as I didn't have a hybrid LNB installed the old Sky box won't work.

I cannot figure out what they are trying here, I assume the deal won't be open ended so must be hoping that at some point they can start charging again and I either wouldn't notice or would accept the cost.

Â