Sky TV packages

Pongotastic

After years and years of 'shall I shan't I?' I am finally saying 'sod it' and getting sky. I'm a new customer and ridiculously un-knowledgeable about what's out there, how the packages are made up etc.

Anyway, I am after getting all of the sports and maybe some of the movies (this being a gesture to my missus who is worried (with some justification) that I will spend all my time glued to the TV). Does anyone know the best way to go about it. Cable/dish etc. Don't think I'm in an area that Virgin media cover.

Thanks

I use virgin media for tv phone and broadband, its often much cheaper when you combine all 3, got the Xl pack with a tivo box, sky sports including f1 for £45 a month for 12 months

I went the cheapo route and got talktalk youview. It's £15 per month for unlimited broadband and phone as well at the tv recording box. Then you can add sky sports on a month by month basis for £30p/m. I have had it on for a couple of months this year when Villa have been on a lot and am switching it off again for the next few months over the summer.

Edited by LondonLax

I went the cheapo route and got talktalk youview. It's £15 per month for unlimited broadband and phone as well at the tv recording box. Then you can add sky sports on a month by month basis for £30p/m. I have had it on for a couple of months this year when Villa have been on a lot and am switching it off again for the next few months over the summer.

Interesting. I'm moving in to my own place in July, and am keeping an eye out for what sort of thing I want to get for TV/Internet/phone. That sounds decent. There's nothing I'd really miss if I only had freeview + Sky Sports (and wouldnt really miss that if I streamed matches I wanted to see), the only other things I'd want to watch I could 'obtain'. How's the service, in particular, the broadband?

Edited by hogso

I pay £30 for all the TV channels and HD, it's half price and I keep saying I'll leave them every 12 months so they renew it. My broadband was with o2 but they've just been bought by Sky so I'm not sure what happens now.

With phone, BB and TV I pay £50 a month

Interesting. I'm moving in to my own place in July, and am keeping an eye out for what sort of thing I want to get for TV/Internet/phone. That sounds decent. There's nothing I'd really miss if I only had freeview + Sky Sports (and wouldnt really miss that if I streamed matches I wanted to see), the only other things I'd want to watch I could 'obtain'. How's the service, in particular, the broadband?

If you can go without sky/virgin and just have freeview then do what I've done and go with tesco. At £17 a month for 12 months for unlimited internet and evening/weekend calls its a good £8-£10 cheaper than most other providers.

Sky are doing a decent deal up until the 16th of this month to entice anyone who has left Sky due to dispute. If you owe them money they are willing to knock off up to £100.00 to get you back on contract again.

I pay £30 for all the TV channels and HD, it's half price and I keep saying I'll leave them every 12 months so they renew it. My broadband was with o2 but they've just been bought by Sky so I'm not sure what happens now.

With phone, BB and TV I pay £50 a month

Same as me

And if you ring them up when that deal is coming to an end and tell them you can't afford it if it goes back up they'll extend it for you

After years and years of 'shall I shan't I?' I am finally saying 'sod it' and getting sky. I'm a new customer and ridiculously un-knowledgeable about what's out there, how the packages are made up etc.

Anyway, I am after getting all of the sports and maybe some of the movies (this being a gesture to my missus who is worried (with some justification) that I will spend all my time glued to the TV). Does anyone know the best way to go about it. Cable/dish etc. Don't think I'm in an area that Virgin media cover.

Thanks

Look around and get yourself half price for a year.

Get the full hit on movies and sports.

BT, Virgin etc just don't stack up.  As much as I don't like the principle of Sky, Murdoch etc, if you're going down the route of more tv channels and better quality it has to be Sky.

**** Sky.

We have o2 broadband and phone, and SkyScum have just taken them over.

back to Virgin for us methinks

Well it works and is unlimited but I couldn't give you a full speed comparison with other providers. Probably depends on your area anyway. The recording box is handy, it has freeview HD and all the catch up players (iPlayer, 4OD etc) as well.

I've just read about the deal that BT Sport have with UFC, sounds promising, I'll have a look at what their packages are like when the time comes.

Apart from a few channels like Comedy Central and Sky Sports package TV these days is pretty poor IMO, something like 760 channels and the best channels are already on freeview anyway.

I live at home so no idea how much it all is but we are on Virgin internet and phone and Sky TV at the moment. We have no Sky HD though, my old man is always trying to get better deals and change around with the internet provider, annoys me but he feels like they overcharge and try to play BT/Virgin/Sky off each other to get a better deal, doesn't seem to have worked.

Â