Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

I still can't see 3-5-2 being our formation, Lamberts favoured formation with Norwich and with us at the beginning of the season is:

----------GK

RB---CB---CB---LB

----------DM

-----CM-----CM

----------AM

------Str-----Str

IIRC we went 3 CBs when Vlaar was out and pushed Herd back into the 3rd CB to let them soak up the pressure, and it worked for a while going on a 3 or 5 game unbeaten streak until *that* period. Before then, I think, we were playing the above formation weren't we?

I'd be surprised if we did move back to 4-1-2-1-2 and even more so back to 3-5-2 because when we moved to 4-3-3 with Gabby and Weimann protecting Lowton and Bennett our form improved so much and it's a much more balanced imo. If we did change formation though, i'd expect it to be to 4-1-2-1-2

(not that there's much difference between the two other than that CB being a DM min)

If we went out and signed Murphy, Popov and Cresswell next week, I'd be chuffed.

Popov is not needed, believe me, as man from Russia )))

My version: Cresswell and Dries Mertens from PSV. And the team is ready for the season.

Really? Because everything else I've heard and seen of Popov screams untapped potential. To me anyway. Of all the players we've been linked with he and Okore have been the ones I've (realistically) wanted the most.

I think Mertens is a bit silly to be honest, way out if our "league".

Almost everyone who played in Russia are piece of wood. That is, poor technique and weak punches from long range. McGeady for example to Spartak Moscow. Russian league is rich, but weak on football. 

If we went out and signed Murphy, Popov and Cresswell next week, I'd be chuffed.

Popov is not needed, believe me, as man from Russia )))

My version: Cresswell and Dries Mertens from PSV. And the team is ready for the season.

Really? Because everything else I've heard and seen of Popov screams untapped potential. To me anyway. Of all the players we've been linked with he and Okore have been the ones I've (realistically) wanted the most.

I think Mertens is a bit silly to be honest, way out if our "league".

Almost everyone who played in Russia are piece of wood. That is, poor technique and weak punches from long range. McGeady for example to Spartak Moscow. Russian league is rich, but weak on football. 

But Strong on Vodka! :)

Okore can cover right back as can herd that is covered now.

I do think left back may be required , a goalkeeper, another centre mid in n attacking mould and a forward (who may already be lined up by the way) so another 3 or 4 on top of the three already

What does anyone think about Taraabt from QPR? Still only young and a good talent.

wrong attitude for Villa. No thanks.

Okore can cover right back as can herd that is covered now.

I do think left back may be required , a goalkeeper, another centre mid in n attacking mould and a forward (who may already be lined up by the way) so another 3 or 4 on top of the three already

The forward being lined up: Helenius? 

• Like 1

What does anyone think about Taraabt from QPR? Still only young and a good talent.

Young, but not hungry from what I've seen. He's talented, but mercurial and at times very lazy. Seems to have a poor attitude. Would not fit with this team.

• Like 1

Strikes me as a big time charlie, just not a Lambert player, work rate no where near good enough, too much arrogance -giIves the impression he's already the finished article. Must be on silly money too.

I would bet my house he would not play for Lambert.

Murphy won't happen I believe we just signed a box to box midfielder so to sign another makes no sense. CAM, LB, RB GK is what we need. But the Gk will only come in once given is off the books, and the cam probably needs bent and maybe ireland to leave.

i wonder if we are looking abroad for a left back?

I think Cresswell is nailed on myself.

I expect him and Murphy to be signed up before the season starts. We shall see, but Cresswell was always his number 1 choice and Murphy has been on his radar for some time.