Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

So youre expecting £8 - £9m - but not £10m ?

I'm not expecting anything.

I'm simply saying that I could see us spending under £10m on a player, but I don't see us spending upwards of £10m on a player.

The point I was arguing was DVIN questioning why people would think we would sign a player for £8m/£9m, when Benteke didn't cost much less than that.

I wonder who will make the step up from the Youth team?

Grealish and Williams I imagine. Anyone else?  Whats happened to Carruthers?

Donacien looks a class good, but maybe he should go on loan first to get a bit of experience before being dropped into the first team. 

Hopefully the money that used to be spent on fees will now be spent on wages. The key of course, is finding more Bentekes.....shame our man in Holland quit....

Whilst there does seem to be something in the Chester rumours, I’d much rather get someone in with a little more top flight experience and / or European or International experience, similar to what we did with Vlaar last summer. Whilst Chester is a little older than both Clark & Baker he doesn’t offer a significantly different profile in my opinion. Ideally I’ll like him to see out the remainder of his contract at Hull, get some Premier League experience next season and then we can re-visit any potential move in a years’ time.

Not sure who we could get instead, would love Dragovic but whilst I think he is within our price range,  I think he’s good enough to be expecting offers from Champions League sides which could be a problem. 

in an ideal world we could keep bent as well as the strike force that we have (gabby, tekkers & andi), but is bent willing to be back up to tekkers? we all know db9 is capable of goals as well

although had he played as much game time as benteke as, i reckon he could of at least got around a douzen goals himself

Poor Darren Bent. 815 minutes this season, scoring 3 and having 2 assists. We have to remember this is a guy who had 24 goals and 4 assists a few years ago in 3386 minutes. He is a player that needs to play games to get that touch in, which is only natural from a striker. He was crap sometimes when he got onto the pitch this season, but who can blame him when he is not getting games and not getting the chance to get that lethal touch back? A bit like Fernando Torres, who will never deliver if he is not playing constantly. Even Torres who is a brilliant player at his best, has a much weaker touch and much less confidence when he gets a few minutes here and there. Christian Benteke is immense, but even with our reliance on him he is still 5 goals short of Bent's best tally for Sunderland - a team that finished on 44 points and scoring only 48 goals, we scored 47 this season. That goes to show that Bent too is able to score goals for a poor team with few attacking players, he doesn't need to play for a team like Tottenham, Chelsea or Arsenal to score goals.

Let me just say that I do not think Bent is better than Benteke, or that he deserves to play more than him. Benteke obviously has other qualities and is a better header and a target man, but I do think Bent is better at making clever runs and he can make it easier for midfielders to play him through. He is also a better finisher inside the box, just because he like all the other poachers sees where the ball ends up before it goes there. Benteke again is better at challenging people, wrestling them off and he obviously has a more explosive shot and x-factor. Some teams will struggle more with Benteke, and some will struggle more against Bent. This season we have played Benteke all the time and he has gotten very little rest, and if he has an off-day then we will not score.

I just think it would be a travesty to sell Bent on to a team like Fulham, WBA, Everton or Newcastle. He is not going to the best teams if he leaves, but he could easily fit into one of those teams that are challenging above or near us in the table next season. What would we get? Not more than 8-10M I would assume, although I could be very wrong. We are not exactly in demand if he is not given assurances, wants to leave and with his contract and age etc. We don't want to give those teams +15 goals for that kind of money, we might as well play him more and keep him ourselves. Yes our team was better when Gabby, Weimann and Benteke played together this season - but that constellation could be very overused/broken down next season and what happens when Benteke loses form or gets injured? He is not a player that I fear will suffer in his second season, but I guess a lot of fans have said that about last years' best player many times. Weimann and Gabby are both energetic and quick players, but we know Gabby won't score many and we don't really know if Weimann will turn into a real poacher with 15 goals to him. In Benteke, Weimann, Gabby and Bent we have one of the best strike forces in the league, at least on paper, and I think Lambert should utilize it much more next season. Darren Bent's goal yesterday was vintage; a good touch and a clever finish he had already planned out in head.

Keep him!

• Like 1

Going to be an interesting Summer of transfer activity. Darren Bent I expect will not be here come the start of next season but who will he go to? What sort of hit will Darren Bent take in wages and what sort of transfer are we going to find acceptable to take him off our hands. I think around 8-10 million, I think a Prem team might even pay more than that just because he will guarantee your team goals.

I don't agree that Darren Bent is overrated, in the right system he can be lethal in front of goal. His goals alone in the McCleish season and the end of the Houllier season kept us up single handedly.

its that age old arguement

Greaves or Hurst

We all know that Greaves was very unlucky to be left out of the world cup Final as he was as prolific as they come.... but Hurst was more of an "all round" forward that would hold the ball up and bring other players in to play. Alf Ramsey had a clear view on it.

It is similar with Benteke and Bent as prolific as Bent can be he has not got the all round work ethic of Benteke and does not give you the same options.

Bent does rely more on good service and is less likely to score individual goals ( self generated).

I believe we may be better served by the money he will generate rather than his play.

I'm not sure Bent and Benteke can play effectively together

• Like 1

its that age old arguement

Greaves or Hurst

We all know that Greaves was very unlucky to be left out of the world cup Final as he was as prolific as they come.... but Hurst was more of an "all round" forward that would hold the ball up and bring other players in to play. Alf Ramsey had a clear view on it.

It is similar with Benteke and Bent as prolific as Bent can be he has not got the all round work ethic of Benteke and does not give you the same options.

Bent does rely more on good service and is less likely to score individual goals ( self generated).

I believe we may be better served by the money he will generate rather than his play.

I'm not sure Bent and Benteke can play effectively together

Not really because Benteke has been as prolific as Bent has been in his entire career.

Wouldn't mind a cheeky bid on bassong I think he is very under rated.

Not by Norwich fans, they said he should have been in team of the year, what we need is our own Bassong, someone we can sign from France for 1mil that is very good and has potential