Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

I think we need a playmaker for sure.  Not for when we play the man u's and chelsea's, but the teams likely to defend in numbers, if we found a quality playmaker I honestly believe we could do something similar to what Newcastle did the season before last.

In regards to Vlaar my only worries are in regard to his aerial ability.  He doesn't have a good leap on him and isn't the tallest CB.  I think we will still struggle on corners, but otherwise I think our defense will be OK (for an attack minded team I mean).

An advanced playmaker would be great, somebody who connects play and scores goals, but I think we also need them to be able to track back and work hard. This is why I would have loved Belhanda, because even though he attacks, he still gets back and defends well, something the likes of Zoggy just can't really do.

If we can find somebody with that in their game, to play in front of Sylla and Westwood, it would be great.

• Like 1

We will continue to concede from set pieces until we purchase a CB who is dominant in the air. Vlaar isn't that CB and lets hope Okore will be. If not then teams will continue to target this weakness and we will continue to ship goals.

I wish football was that simple.

It is.

You find the opposing teams weakness and try to exploit it.

You think it a coincidence that most teams focused their attacks down our left flank and Bennet last season

I am pretty sure that Bent and Bannan will go, and quite soon.

I am surprised Stevens has not moved on yet. He has played a few times and looked OK, and I wouldn't think we would be asking much, and his wages would be quite low.

I think that the club should be able to trade believing these 3 will be gone by September.

I really don't see N'Zogbia going anywhere this window because of his injury, which I think rules him out until about Christmas.

I would be stunned if anyone came in for Ireland. For me, if we can get someone to pay £5 per week of his wages, that's money saved.

Hutton is the same as Ireland for me, although we may be £10k of his wages paid.

Delfouneso is apparently on £20k pw, and no-one will pay him that. Our best bet is that he is sensible and will take a longer contract on lower salary and try and work his way back up the ladder.

The club should be planning that these clowns will be on the books for another year, at least.

Given the wildcard. He earns a lot, and seems willing to move to the right club.It just seems that onbody of a reasonable standard wants him, which is surprising. We might just end up with him going on a short term loan, save a few quid, but be able to recall him if Brad gets injured.

You get the feeling that the actual transfer merry go round has not even started yet, United have bought pretty much no one of note, all City's players have come from abroad, same with Chelsea bar Schwarzer, Arsenal have bought no one really other than Sanogo on a free, Spurs splashed a bit of cash but both players were foreign. Everton are the first really club from last seasons finishing positions to buy anyone of nore from England Alcaraz & Kone from Wigan. Liverpool have taken Toure & Mingolet, then two other Spaniards. WBA only picked up Anelka so far. Swansea have got Bony, Shelvey & Amat. West Ham splashed an awful amount of cash at Andy Carroll, Norwich too have been busy taking Van Wolfswinkel, Fer, Hooper, Redmond & Olsson. Fulham have got in Stekelenburg.Stoke have only got in Pieters of note.Southampton getting Wanyama & Lovren. Then our own magnificent 6. Newcastle haven't signed anyone of note, SAFC picked up a few free transfers Altidore & Giaccherini. Cardiff got Cornelius & Brayford. With Hull bringing in journey men and Davies, Palace only really getting Gayle and few other players from lower leagues. One pattern that can be seen is the lack of Premier League to Premier League transfers, this does not bode well for us considering all the players we are trying to flog are most likely only going to be paid the kind of wages they want at PL clubs. :(

You get the feeling that the actual transfer merry go round has not even started yet

It clearly hasn't started yet. July was the roller-coaster being winched slowly and inexorably to the top of the tracks. We're now sitting stationary at the top waiting for August and that one big transfer that will push us over the edge. Can't wait :D
  • Like 2

You get the feeling that the actual transfer merry go round has not even started yet

It clearly hasn't started yet. July was the roller-coaster being winched slowly and inexorably to the top of the tracks. We're now sitting stationary at the top waiting for August and that one big transfer that will push us over the edge. Can't wait :D

Yep, that's a very fine analogy. :thumb:  It seems we've gone as far as we can until the merry go round music starts again (I'll stay with the amusement park metaphors :D ) and the major moves start happening.

Someone said on H+V but it's a great shout.

Why don;t the bomb squad club together and buy Coventry City?

They all get a club to play for, they all get a guaranteed starting spot as owners, fans will love them.

Probably stand a decent chance of getting promoted too.

Edited by villaglint

No I pointed it out earlier he is not good enough for us, or the premier league. He could do okay at palace right now but I even feel that might be a stretch. I would be very surprised to see him do well at this level.

Even if it's not that simple, this is a weakness that needs to be addressed.

Lets be fair here. Since Vlaar came back and since the turnaround in Feb how many goals did we actually concede from corners? I don't remember many. Also, since Vlaar came back and since other players came back like Gabby, and since Delph started to play better and since Sylla strengthened our midfield, and since we played 433, we were MUCH tighter defensively. Admittedly we never had a clean sheet and we still conceded goals but in contrast to Mcleish's reign we are not a defensive team but one focused on attack, a certain looseness is forgivable while Lambert gets the squad into the shape he wants. 

To really push on we need to be capable of clean sheets, absolutely. But I think the defensive problems last season were more to do with the overall squad. During the very bleak period over christmas our midfield was porous with the non-presence of Bannan and Ireland and an off form Delph, and on top of that we were relying on players like Herd and Lichaj in defence. 

I think these signings we have made from January, Bacuna, Sylla, Okore, Luna, will go a long way to making sure that the bleak awful period like last christmas does not repeat. These have bulked out our options in defence and midfield. Not to mention how much better and more confident the players became at the end of the season.  

• Like 1

Lets be fair here. Since Vlaar came back and since the turnaround in Feb how many goals did we actually concede from corners? I don't remember many. Also, since Vlaar came back and since other players came back like Gabby, and since Delph started to play better and since Sylla strengthened our midfield, and since we played 433, we were MUCH tighter defensively. Admittedly we never had a clean sheet and we still conceded goals but in contrast to Mcleish's reign we are not a defensive team but one focused on attack, a certain looseness is forgivable while Lambert gets the squad into the shape he wants. 

To really push on we need to be capable of clean sheets, absolutely. But I think the defensive problems last season were more to do with the overall squad. During the very bleak period over christmas our midfield was porous with the non-presence of Bannan and Ireland and an off form Delph, and on top of that we were relying on players like Herd and Lichaj in defence. 

I think these signings we have made from January, Bacuna, Sylla, Okore, Luna, will go a long way to making sure that the bleak awful period like last christmas does not repeat. These have bulked out our options in defence and midfield. Not to mention how much better and more confident the players became at the end of the season.

I agree with much you say, but I don't think you need to be "loose" on defense to be an attacking team. On the contrary, our defense still needs tightening up. Our goals against must come down for us to have a chance.

Will Okore and Luna in addition to more experience be enough to get it done? Too bad Okore hasn't been able to play much in pre-season to form an opinion about him. Maybe Lambert can get our defense to play better as a unit. Although he's had one season to get them to play his way already, with not so convincing results.

I agree with much you say, but I don't think you need to be "loose" on defense to be an attacking team. On the contrary, our defense still needs tightening up. Our goals against must come down for us to have a chance.

Will Okore and Luna in addition to more experience be enough to get it done? Too bad Okore hasn't been able to play much in pre-season to form an opinion about him. Maybe Lambert can get our defense to play better as a unit. Although he's had one season to get them to play his way already, with not so convincing results.

I said looseness is forgivable while he gets the squad into shape. As in, it is to be expected. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that.

The defence did improve as soon as we stopped relying on Herd and Lichaj and the pants midfield we had (as I said before). I think Lambert is capable even though it is clear his heart is more in attack than defence, and so be it.