Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

I think it's a bit funny that people seem to think that we need a an AM and then we'll be set. Isn't our defence still our weakest link?

For me we need a strong defensive midfielder if we want to stop leaking goals. We've sorted out the CB positions with Baker's improvement and the purchase of Okore. We've hopefully sorted out the LB position with Luna but we need more steel in the midfield.

I'm not so sure we really need an attacking midfielder that much. It would be more of a luxury purchase for me.

Ive thought about this a lot too. Goals werent really a problem for us last season with Benteke and then weimann and gabby chipping in. Obviously a CAM would ensure the goals keep coming. And also perhaps if we had a CAM then we would then have deeper lying mids (CDM) and that would solve the second half goals problem. Delph, sylla, westwood lying deeper than usual and obviously using the CAM to link the play up top. So either way, a defensive mid and a CAM would change the style of play for the better becuase we'd have players with definitive roles.

I think it's a bit funny that people seem to think that we need a an AM and then we'll be set. Isn't our defence still our weakest link?

For me we need a strong defensive midfielder if we want to stop leaking goals. We've sorted out the CB positions with Baker's improvement and the purchase of Okore. We've hopefully sorted out the LB position with Luna but we need more steel in the midfield.

I'm not so sure we really need an attacking midfielder that much. It would be more of a luxury purchase for me.

Ive thought about this a lot too. Goals werent really a problem for us last season with Benteke and then weimann and gabby chipping in. Obviously a CAM would ensure the goals keep coming. And also perhaps if we had a CAM then we would then have deeper lying mids (CDM) and that would solve the second half goals problem. Delph, sylla, westwood lying deeper than usual and obviously using the CAM to link the play up top. So either way, a defensive mid and a CAM would change the style of play for the better becuase we'd have players with definitive roles.

We only started scoring often, when we went 433 and started playing more directly. Using the ball into Benteke and utilising the pace outside him. Whilst this gained results at the end, i dont think its something you can rely on all the time..

Earlier in the season when lambert was playing the narrow midfield we were crying out for a proper AM rather than Ireland. Benteke, Weimann and especially Bent (tin hat on) were and are all very good at pulling off their marker in the box. If we had an am who could thread the passes through we would've scored a lot more in the early part of the season. Look at the first game away at West Ham, we dominated possession but couldn't create anything.. So whilst I do agree that the defence/ dm need enforcing an am is still a must.

I'm not sure. We've been talking about this mystical AM for weeks now, but we might already have enough players.

If we do manage to get rid of Hutton, Bannan, Bent and Ireland. We will still have N'Zogbia, Helenius, Tonev and Bacuna who can play the AM role.

It does seem strange, though, that we would spend such a small amount over the whole window. Less than £15m, I'm guessing. That's the only reason I'm holding out a slight hope that we might bring in another player.

Hutton and Given were rumoured done deals yet nothing concrete on either?

Latest is Hutton is only a loan and we have to pay his wages.. and Doncaster cant find the money to pay for Given. We cant get rid of the deadwood.

Bent is going but hes hardly deadwood.. probably the only one if stayed could do a job.

Ireland it appears theres no interest.. even Stephen himself had nfi where he is going to play this season. Bannan sounded confident of leaving.

I cant see any more signings till at least 2 go.

Latest is Hutton is only a loan and we have to pay his wages.. and Doncaster cant find the money to pay for Given. We cant get rid of the deadwood.

Bent is going but hes hardly deadwood.. probably the only one if stayed could do a job.

Ireland it appears theres no interest.. even Stephen himself had nfi where he is going to play this season. Bannan sounded confident of leaving.

Who says Hutton is a loan?

Honestly, why do people think so little of our club, do you really think we're going to give players away and even pay their wages to play for a different club? Not a chance.

He had his loan out, he enjoyed it, now he will go permanently. Makes no sense for us to loan him out again and certainly makes no sense to pay his wages. He'll have to take a drop in wages, if he doesn't want to then he'll stay in the reserves, simples.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

Honestly, why do people think so little of our club, do you really think we're going to give players away and even pay their wages to play for a different club? Not a chance.

He had his loan out, he enjoyed it, now he will go permanently. Makes no sense for us to loan him out again and certainly makes no sense to pay his wages. He'll have to take a drop in wages, if he doesn't want to then he'll stay in the reserves, simples.

Why would we keep players in the reserves paying their full wages for nothing if there is a club out there willing to pay part of the wage or even take a player on a free?

• Like 1

Bannan almost costs nothing .. I don't think he's more than 15k tbh !

They'll probably all leave on deadline day when clubs are desperate because their first, second, third, and fourth options have all fallen through. Will make it difficult to bring in someone new if that's the case.

That West Ham game was curious. I thought we played very well and yet Lambert seemed to discard the idea of possession play almost immediately afterwards.

Still not sure why, I mean we only just lost.

That game was extremely horrendous though. The first ten minutes we played the ball around and looked like Barcelona trying to establish an attack. However, it became very apparent that we did not have a single player capable of doing something with the ball in those tight positions, so we just passed the ball around our own half and didn't create a single chance all game. We played very badly for 6 months before reverting back to the old "counter-attack" because that is and always will be the strongest weapon for a weak team, but with plenty of pace. In established attack we, like every other team under the top 8, struggle to create chances. But if we invite the other team forward we have a decent chance of doing something on the counter, just like we did with MON. The passing approach works for very few teams, and it certainly didn't work well for us. Lambert also attempted that 3-5-2 or whatever we can call it, it didn't work out - simply because it very seldom does and not for teams like ours anyway. If you don't have the players, trying to play like the best teams is impossible in my opinion.

Why would we keep players in the reserves paying their full wages for nothing if there is a club out there willing to pay part of the wage or even take a player on a free?

Assuming we have been paying him £30k a week to go and see if he likes it in Spain, if he doesn't want to stay their permanently there would be no benefit whatsoever of sending him out on loan there again. There would also be no benefit for the club to be sending him there on a free yet still paying his wages out of our pocket for the next two years.

I firmly believe he is going back to Spain and not on a loan or on a free. Of course, any payment we receive will probably go into Hutton's pocket.

I also believe if he didn't want to go back there permanently and no other club came in for him, he would just stay training with the kids. I think the guys with substantial wages are more of an issue: Bent, Ireland and Given. Ireland and Given more than Bent though as I believe it'll be relatively easy to shift him at the right asking price.

Edited by samjp26

They'll probably all leave on deadline day when clubs are desperate because their first, second, third, and fourth options have all fallen through. Will make it difficult to bring in someone new if that's the case.

I really hope that isn't the case :(

If Bent is indeed on £70k a week then the apparent £5m fee and taking him of the books combined would give us around £12m.

That would probably pay for Kiyotake's fee and the majority of his contract if we did want him.

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert set to offload Alan Hutton on another season-long loan to Real Mallorca

10:20PM BST 22 Jul 2013

Hutton, the Scotland international defender, will join Mallorca for a second loan spell, which could last for the season, as Lambert moves to trim his squad.

The 28-year-old has been training in a group including £24 million record signing Darren Bent, Stephen Ireland, Shay Given and Barry Bannan, who have all been told they can leave the club.

Hutton still has two years remaining on his £40,000 a week contract and has not played for Aston Villa since Lambert's appointment.

Mallorca were relegated last season to the Segunda Division but Hutton impressed after signing on loan in January.

Bent could be the next big earner to leave Villa, with Newcastle and Fulham both weighing up bids for the England international.

Shay Given has been a target for Doncaster Rovers on loan but the Championship club are struggling to reach an agreement on how to pay a portion of his substantial salary.

Lambert's outcasts are unlikely to play any part in pre-season, despite an alarming injury crisis that has seen Villa lose Charles N'Zogbia, Andreas Weimann, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Nicklas Helenius, Aleksandar Tonev and Jordan Bowery.

Villa will step up their preparations with a friendly against Luton Town on Tuesday night.

Telegraph

Edited by mjmooney

I'm sure when Gabby's brother was on twitter he said Bent was on 90-110k a week. I could be wrong but I'm sure he said he joined for 80-90k and then after hitting goals scored or us staying up he got extra.

Considering we were willing to shell out up to £24m for him it wouldnt surprise me either

Alan Hutton to make Mallorca move permanent

staff reporter

Tuesday 23 July 2013

Alan Hutton is today expected to sign a permanent contract with Real Mallorca, having negotiated his release from Aston Villa.

The Scotland full-back enjoyed a successful loan spell with the Palma club last season, and was eager to return, even though his side were relegated from the Spanish top tier.

Hutton still had a year to run on his Villa contract, but was told by manager Paul Lambert he was free to leave, his career having stalled somewhat since Tottenham Hotspur spent £9m to sign him from Rangers in 2008. He has, however, found both form and contentment in Spain. "I was able to play football and enjoy it – it's the first time I've been able to say that in a while," he said. "I don't know how to explain it. I had a few bad years so just to enjoy my football again was really good. It's a lot calmer."

Another Scotland internationalist keen to get his career back on track is Christophe Berra, who has signed a two-year contract with Ipswich Town. The centre-back was released by Wolverhampton Wanderers following consecutive relegations but manager Mick McCarthy moved to take him to Portman Road. "It's a fantastic signing, he helped 
us get promoted at Wolves and keep us in the Premier League for two seasons," said McCarthy.

"I'm surprised he hasn't got a club sooner and I'm delighted we've got him. It's terrific. I've signed 
what I'd call a top Championship centre-half."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/alan-hutton-to-make-mallorca-move-permanent.21681635

We're not going to know whats going on until the deal is done.

If that Hutton article in the Telegraph is true then I'm a bit pissed off. I'm sure we could offload him to a Championship club or one of the Scottish teams at an extremely cut price if we needed to. Loaning him back out to Spain is stupid, he continues to get his wage, they get a free player and we look like mugs.

The second article seems more likely, either them paying us a fee to give him a settlement payment or he agrees to go for free (both for them and for us).

As for Bent, if he is on £100k a week then we're set to 'gain' around £15m from his transfer overall, before any potential payoffs etc . Sell him quick Lambo!

Edited by samjp26

If that Hutton article in the Telegraph is true then I'm a bit pissed off. I'm sure we could offload him to a Championship club or one of the Scottish teams at an extremely cut price if we needed to. Loaning him back out to Spain is stupid, he continues to get his wage, they get a free player and we look like mugs.

The second article seems more likely, either them paying us a fee to give him a settlement payment or he agrees to go for free (both for them and for us).

As for Bent, if he is on £100k a week then we're set to 'gain' around £15m from his transfer overall, before any potential payoffs etc . Sell him quick Lambo!

The loan club will be paying the wages (though possibly not all his wages) we wouldn't bother sending him otherwise.