Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Clark (29), Holman (27), Baker (26) (who I love by the way), Bennett (25), Bannan (24), Lichaj (17), Ireland (13), Albrighton (9), Herd (9), Stevens (7), Dawkins (4).

You could argue all of these players played too many games, Lambert inherited a squad that had few real players, ironically, probably the only ones were arguably Given & Bent, as both had good form in the previous nightmare season. Agbonlahor had a poor season netting just 5 league goals and not really showing much leadership as captain in McLeish's team. Then you had the big earning players, Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Hutton, that had been part of a terrible "back 8" from the previous season, draining our resources. Given just had a woeful euros, being Irish, I watched every minute, and he just looked a shadow of his former self. Lambert goes out and resigns Brad Guzan who had come in once or twice and done ok and made some penalty saves but never looked a real number one. Not to mention Jean II Makoun, not learning the language, going AWOL etc. Lambert comes in brings in Henke who used to work at Dortmund under Hitzfeld to find players across Europe, Villa fans had been heavily frustrated in recent years with the idea of what our scouts actually did. Snaps up El Ahmadi voted 7th in running for player of the year in Eredivise for £2m, few days later snaps up unknown right back Matt Lowtown for 800k off Sheffield United, after much drama finally seals the capture, of Dutch international centre back Ron Vlaar and ships out James Collins to West Ham. Then with a late flurry of activity signs Westwood, Bennett, Bowery & Benteke. In January he added Sylla, and lost Warnock, since the season ended we got the wages of Dunne, Holman, Makoun, Lichaj off the books. Added Danish internationals Okore & Helenius, Bulgarian international speed merchant Tonev, former Spain U21 Luna, Dutch U21 Bacuna & promising goal keeper Steer. Not to mention, the young lads who were here last year will have gained so much experience from the trials and tribulations of last season. Adding up Holman, Bannan, Lichaj, Ireland & Dawkins all of whom I doubt will ever play for us again made 85 appearances in the League last year, we will definitely be a lot better than last season.

Edited by Folski
  • Like 1

If we manage to rid ourselves of Ireland, given, bent and Hutton then I can see no reason why we wouldn't dip into the market again. I think it's obvious lambert had (and probably still has) definitive targets - my guess is that this will include a goal scoring midfielder, which we are lacking.

Such a healthy squad, great prospects, good football ...... I can't be the only one thinking about higher than mid table ..................

Why? Isn't it much more fun than being pessimistic? It'll mean nothing once we get into the season anyway.

I wasn't being pessimistic either, safe mid table (for me this includes 'just top half' and is anywhere from 12th to 9th) is cautiously optimistic after the past three seasons! I just hope that last seasons 2nd half doesn't flatter to deceive, even with cracking form we still relied on Wigan's misfortune last season to stay up.

I see our problem still at the other end, we cannot stop conceding goals and that is a terrible trait in the premier league - if we had a solid back 5 and Sylla, I would feel much more confident but I don't feel this has been fully addressed. No doubt when in the mood we are mouth watering going forward, but all that hard works was undone so easily and so many times last season (any stats on lost points from winning positions?) - I just hope we don't we don't end up relying on Benteke we need 3/4's of our goals coming from elsewhere.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

Why? Isn't it much more fun than being pessimistic? It'll mean nothing once we get into the season anyway.

I wasn't being pessimistic either, safe mid table (for me this includes 'just top half' and is anywhere from 12th to 9th) is cautiously optimistic after the past three seasons! I just hope that last seasons 2nd half doesn't flatter to deceive, even with cracking form we still relied on Wigan's misfortune last season to stay up.

I see our problem still at the other end, we cannot stop conceding goals and that is a terrible trait in the premier league - if we had a solid back 5 and Sylla, I would feel much more confident but I don't feel this has been fully addressed. No doubt when in the mood we are mouth watering going forward, but all that hard works was undone so easily and so many times last season (any stats on lost points from winning positions?) - I just hope we don't we don't end up relying on Benteke we need 3/4's of our goals coming from elsewhere.

I agree with most of that. Except, we hardly relied on Wigan. Without looking at the tables again I believe that after we moved past them in mid Feb we were ahead every step of the way. "Misfortune" doesn't enter into it. 

agree, the problem at the start of last season was that there were too many new faces all thrown in at once. It was only in the new year they started to play properly.

Playing the wrong system for those players didn't help either.

Peronally think Kiyotake would be the best signing along with Benteke in years. The amount of assists he has from last season that are from free kicks landing it on the head of a team mate is worth taking notice of. I just keep imagining Kiyotake setting them up for Benteke to nod home. Will start geting carried away if we sign him  ;)

Peronally think Kiyotake would be the best signing along with Benteke in years. The amount of assists he has from last season that are from free kicks landing it on the head of a team mate is worth taking notice of. I just keep imagining Kiyotake setting them up for Benteke to nod home. Will start geting carried away if we sign him ;)

Imagine having Helenius in a wide role too. Kiyotake knocking in free kicks for Benteke, Helenius, Gabby, Vlaar or Okore to head in.

I'm drooling at the thought of it!

Edited by Rob182
  • Like 1

Kiyotake or Chadli would be nice, both perhaps a tad unrealistic.

Chadli maybe. Belgian players are certainly en vogue atm.

I don't think Kiyotake is that unrealistic though?

Kiyotake or Chadli would be nice, both perhaps a tad unrealistic.

Chadli maybe. Belgian players are certainly en vogue atm.

I don't think Kiyotake is that unrealistic though?

I meant unrealistic in the fact that we have been knocked back already and they apparently want silly money for him.

Lets look at the economics, drunk now so maybe not...we have signed players this summer for maybe 11M, last summer it was 20M...

New TV-money...so we expect signings about 30M...but our players have get higher contracts, OK so we sign for 20M

That is Kiyotake here absolutely :)

So a chap on twitter thinks Kiyotake has flown into BHX

Kiyotake flew into bhx earlier apparently ?!!!!#AVFC

When asked where he got his info:

Seanavilla @vtid1973

@KjParton gotta good friend(avfc fan) works there

SO! Who is it that works at the airport who posts on here? Is it TheTrees or am i totally wrong?

So a chap on twitter thinks Kiyotake has flown into BHX

Kiyotake flew into bhx earlier apparently ?!!!!#AVFC

When asked where he got his info:

Seanavilla ‏@vtid1973

@KjParton gotta good friend(avfc fan) works there

SO! Who is it that works at the airport who posts on here? Is it TheTrees or am i totally wrong?

I'm calling..

bs1.gif