Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Here is the obligatory youtube video of Alfreð Finnbogason.

He's a 24 year old striker and is part of the Icelandic golden generation (with players like Kolbeinn Sigþórsson (Ajax), Gylfi Sigurðsson (Tottenham) and Aron Jóhannsson (AZ Alkmaar)).

He began to show his potential at loan at Helsingborg in 2012 from Lokeren where he didn't get many chances. He scored 12 goals for Helsingborg and Heerenveen bought him last summer where he managed to score 24 goals in 31 games. So he's a rather late bloomer in the sense that he didn't really show anything special abroad until last summer in Sweden.

For what it's worth Marco van Basten rates him very highly and he has already recommended him to his old club AC Milan. He's a very good finisher, has good movement off the ball but he's not very quick but he makes up for that with his intelligence.

Edited by bose

I would take alderwield easily. Did he really fail a medical there? He can do better than norwich, we should go in for him if that is the case.

Yeah moyes wanted Leroy Fer at Everton but they pulled out when he failed a medical

Edited by AshVilla

If we're still going to live by the "young and hungry" type players we hear so much about, then why not former Porto striker Walter? He currently plays in the Brasilerao for Goias.

walter-goias-ricardorafael-opopular-ae.j

Young? Check. Hungry? Apparently so.

• Like 1

I've not read through the entire thread so this may already have been said, but there seem to be a number of people expecting that we'll replace Benteke with someone on similar wages and therefore some kind of unproven talent on no more than £20k p/w.  However, that clearly doesn't take into account the fact that we must have offered him a new contract on significantly improved terms, using money that will already have been earmarked.  So, bearing that and the transfer fee we'll receive in mind, we don't have to necessarily replace the Christian Benteke of one year ago (financially) - we are capable of finding a replacement of similar stature.  The more likely problem is that particularly without shelling out an excessive amount of money, in other words paying someone much more than Benteke would have earned here from this season onwards, we'll still struggle to find a player of similar quality in terms of what he offers our team.

If we're still going to live by the "young and hungry" type players we hear so much about, then why not former Porto striker Walter? He currently plays in the Brasilerao for Goias.

walter-goias-ricardorafael-opopular-ae.j

Young? Check. Hungry? Apparently so.

Lol.

Quite a bit of padding...

Edited by AVFCforever1991

Let Helenius Gabby & Andi fight it out for the central position.. allowing extra game time for Zog & Albrighton as wide strikers along with Tonev, theyve both shown they know how to finish as well as be excellent wingers on their day

Let Helenius Gabby & Andi fight it out for the central position.. allowing extra game time for Zog & Albrighton as wide strikers along with Tonev, theyve both shown they know how to finish as well as be excellent wingers on their day

Ï think Albrighton has already proved that his skill level is below Premier League standard... we have given him enough chances! And isn't N'Zogbia injured badly?

I don't think gabby or weimman will have the same impact they did playing as a lone striker.

I think they're both suited to wide roles in a front 3.

And any plan that involves albrighton should be scrapped straight away.

Helenius was Bents replacement! Benteke will be replaced.  The club statement alluded to the fact that we will need time to sign a replacement. I don't like the idea of starting the season with an untried prospect up top on his own or with one of Zog or Albrighton on the right as for me this will really upset the system in place and put us close to square one.  So pissed by this news as Benteke leaving is basically to worst single thing that could happen to villa bar Lambert leaving or going bankrupt.

I don't think gabby or weimman will have the same impact they did playing as a lone striker.

I think they're both suited to wide roles in a front 3.

And any plan that involves albrighton should be scrapped straight away.

To me Andi would be ideal in a front 2 with Helenuis. Gabby would be good with Helenius too, Gabby and Weimann together not a good combo imo.  I think this was part of Lambo's plan as Helenius would be the ideal player to bring in if we want to play 4-4-2, as he would compliment any of our current forwards.

Helenius was Bents replacement! Benteke will be replaced.  The club statement alluded to the fact that we will need time to sign a replacement. I don't like the idea of starting the season with an untried prospect up top on his own or with one of Zog or Albrighton on the right as for me this will really upset the system in place and put us close to square one.  So pissed by this news as Benteke leaving is basically to worst single thing that could happen to villa bar Lambert leaving or going bankrupt.

Yeah, because that didn't work for us last season... ;)

Yeah, because that didn't work for us last season... ;)

It's not something you'd want to keep relying on though. It's a lot riskier to live or die by the "well it worked once with Benteke, therefore it'll work now too..." approach.

What about Emmanuel Eminike.?  I watched him play vs Celtic in the Champions League and he was immense. He has a better than 2 in 1 strike rate but is 26 and is quoted at 12m Euro on transfermarket.com.