The Randy Lerner thread

CI

So apart from setting up his own investment advisory firm, then becoming a director of MBNA for nine years, then chairman for almost three years, and then over seeing the sale of MBNA to BoA for 35 Billion USD, Randy has no business nous :?

As well as being a qualified lawyer too. Seems to me that lots of posters don't like him because he inherited money. Following that logic if we were taken over by the QIA they would not like them either as they had inherited the natural gas millions they would spend on developing the club as ultimately they are the rulers of Qatar.

So apart from setting up his own investment advisory firm, then becoming a director of MBNA for nine years, then chairman for almost three years, and then over seeing the sale of MBNA to BoA for 35 Billion USD, Randy has no business nous :?

As well as being a qualified lawyer too. Seems to me that lots of poster don't like him because he inherited money. Following that logic if we were taken over by the QIA they would not like them as they had inherited the natural gas millions they would spend on developing the club as they inherited them by being the rulers of Qatar.

Whatever Randy has done elsewhere or how he got to where he is now is not really that important and people comparing him to Ashley is a red herring. Let's see where the Barcodes are in 2 or 3 seasons? Half a good season does not make a bad owner turn good.

However when you look at the 2 clubs they have followed very similar routes over the past few years in terms of general business plans. I.e. they hay both decided to off load high earners and replace them with home grown youngsters and lower paid players.

Newcastle have just been better at it at this point in time and a lot comes down to the choice of manager. Both clubs have made manager changes and if we had appointed Pardew then I think there would have been meltdown on the internet (not quite as much as AM but not far off). I for one would never have guessed that he would have had the success he has had this season considering his past record. Unfortunately for us AM seems to be surpassing his previous none descript record with us.

Is Randy the problem? Maybe partly. Is Faulkner the problem? Maybe partly. Is AM the problem? Definately yes! PF seems to be good on the commercial side IMO, setting up sponsors and partners but poor on the football side which is most likely down to his lack of experience. Maybe a move sideways would suit and a more football minded guy taking over the playing staff side would fit. I however don't mean a GT type person but more a David Dein/Peter Kenyon/Daniel Levy mould.

Does Randy deserve all the stick he gets? Not really! Does he need to communicate better? Definately yes! Does he need to sell up and leave with his tail between his legs? Definately not! Should he sack AM? Please, please, please! Is he going to sack AM? Can't see it (unfortunately)!

Whatever Randy has done elsewhere or how he got to where he is now is not really that important and people comparing him to Ashley is a red herring. Let's see where the Barcodes are in 2 or 3 seasons? Half a good season does not make a bad owner turn good.

Except that Ashley for Newcastle has NOT been a bad owner - a PR disaster, but not a bad owner. The Toon are now debt free, with a decent manager and a good squad. He has maximised club revenue wherever possible eg. Carroll sale, stupid stadium naming rights (again bad PR not bad business)

The Toon are now a stable top half of the PL club, and the man that they have to thank for that is Fat Mike, whether they like him or not.

when you look at the 2 clubs they have followed very similar routes over the past few years in terms of general business plans. I.e. they hay both decided to off load high earners and replace them with home grown youngsters and lower paid players.

Newcastle have just been better at it at this point in time and a lot comes down to the choice of manager.

Newcastle's success in finding players such as Cabye and Tiote is also due to the scouting network they set up in the wake of Dennis Wise's departure.

Sensible Geordie fans value the work of Graham Carr and his team very highly and he himself says he has a longstanding and detailed knowledge of French football while other members of the team concentrate on Scandinavia and Eastern Europe.

This is something we haven't really tackled in my view. We had a lot of noise from Houllier about how he would tackle scouting at Villa but he appointed Jeff Vetere, whose departure from Newcastle is actually seen as the start of their improved scouting operation, and who in any case buggered off to Crystal Palace very quickly.

I have no idea what our scouting operation is like now but the purchases made since McLeish came in suggest we haven't achieved much international reach yet (or even much within the UK, some might say).

It's essential that we tackle this if we are to survive as a lower wage club living within its means.

I think randy wants out tbh, and if he truly loved the club, he would sell if a better offer came in for AVFC... we are were like man city were when they had thaksin shinawatra, that was us a few years back.. an investment, and now they have the next level up from thaksin shinawatra, we need the next level up for RL

Also i believe we missed out BIG time on not getting Mark Hughes in, giving him 30 mill to spend from ash,downing , and what other players he would have got rid of, beye,heskey, all these crap players... But no now QPR are going to get him and give him a transfer budget about 20 mill i heard...we missed out.

Onto McLeish. Now here is where I disagree with most people. I actually don't think McLeish is as bad as people make out he is. I think he has an incredibly strong character to have taken the job on and I think he is just the type we need to control the personalities we have and the youngsters coming through. I would go as far as saying that he is doing Lerner's dirty work very well. I sincerely hope he is here in 18 months time as I think he will have done what is needed financially, which is to ride out the storm of no investment whilst we await getting the wage bill back down to manageable levels, and then be given a reasonable budget to go and try and compete for the top 6.

It's a nice thought but I just can't buy into it.

Firstly, I don't believe that there would have been such a lack of interest in the managers job if there was a clear plan to spend again in the near future to try and break the top 6.

Secondly, we all know our spending will have to be limited to meet the financial fair play rules. Under Mcleish does anyone expect us to increase our income through high league finishes? Merchandise sale? Ticket sales?

If anything I think the appointment of Mcleish will limit our income even more.

Thirdly, I see little evidence to suggest that under a limited budget Mcleish will be able to build a squad capable of finishing top 6 and challenging the bigger teams.

If money is limited you need a manager who can find quality, sign them on good deals and use their coaching and man management skills to get the best out of them. Again I see little evidence to suggest Mcleish is capable of doing this.

For me the appointment of Mcleish is all about just staying in the league. Nothing else, the hope of ambition being shown in the future by Lerner is just something I don't see.

Except that Ashley for Newcastle has NOT been a bad owner - a PR disaster, but not a bad owner. The Toon are now debt free, with a decent manager and a good squad. He has maximised club revenue wherever possible eg. Carroll sale, stupid stadium naming rights (again bad PR not bad business)

The Toon are now a stable top half of the PL club, and the man that they have to thank for that is Fat Mike, whether they like him or not.

Well said.

Newcastle's success in finding players such as Cabye and Tiote is also due to the scouting network they set up in the wake of Dennis Wise's departure.

Houllier could have signed Cabaye for £4m. The board vetoed it.

You kn this how? I've not seen this reported anywhere.

Phil Thompson said something about it on Soccer Saturday, what he failed to mention was that Houllier was in bad health and was unlikely to carry on. I doubt Randy wanted another Ireland situation.

It was mentioned in a paper a while ago, possibly in a Houllier interview.

And Phil Thompson on Soccer Saturday talked about it as the above poster said. I'd say he'd be pretty accurate what with his close relationship with Houllier.

Even if this is true, it's not really relevant to the point I was making about Newcastle having a better scouting set up than Villa. They have recruited many more good young players as well as Cabaye. They don't rely just on the personal knowledge and contacts of a particular manager.

(In any event, if Cabaye had come to Villa there is no guarantee he wouldn't have been as big a flop as Makoun and by now be out on loan somewhere in Southern Europe.)

Newcastle not only have a better scouting system they also have a better squad than us.. and a better manager too.
Exactly. I think that was where my comment about scouting came in the first place. People were praising Newcastle's squad and manager and I said "don't forget the scouting!"

Â