The Randy Lerner thread

CI

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Nope. All I meant was that Sherwood seems to have been absolved by many of any blame for our transfers in the summer, despite the fact he was, by all accounts, a vital part of the team that brought the players in.

People seems to have taken a report in the media as gospel.

I hear you. I admit it DOES seem like the pendulum has swung a bit towards the Sherwood-As-Hapless-Victim notion. But I also notice that no one seems to be rushing to sign Tim up for a job, so perhaps there's poetic justice at work.

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I hear you. I admit it DOES seem like the pendulum has swung a bit towards the Sherwood-As-Hapless-Victim notion. But I also notice that no one seems to be rushing to sign Tim up for a job, so perhaps there's poetic justice at work.

It really hasn't - I haven't seen that from more than one or two posters. However, the club being badly run predates Sherwood's time, and his successor still hasn't got a win after nearly 10 games in charge, so the notion that Sherwood was all or the main problem at the club has taken a battering (and I was very quick to turn on him, so this isn't coming from a Sherwood fan). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

It really hasn't - I haven't seen that from more than one or two posters. However, the club being badly run predates Sherwood's time, and his successor still hasn't got a win after nearly 10 games in charge, so the notion that Sherwood was all or the main problem at the club has taken a battering (and I was very quick to turn on him, so this isn't coming from a Sherwood fan). 

I don't think you were all that quick, tbh. It seemed to me that you were fair. There were not a few haters from the moment he signed.

The problem for me came almost instantly, and it was when he started suggesting that the new French players were foisted on him. That was a really stupid, stupid, demoralizing message to send out to his own squad. 

Yes, I agree with that. He clearly handled the new signings dreadfully, which was quite a surprise - until that point, I had assumed that building morale and maintaining relationships in the squad was one of his strong points. Maybe he'll always be a better manager at rescuing seasons, rather than building teams. 

23 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

How a human being could ever take pride in the taking of another persons life or possesions is well and truly beyond me.

i cherish life as the most important thing one could ever relish in

someone who instigates or perpetrates the taking of someone elses life or possesions is scum of the earth

general K is that scum

I'm ashamed of his association not only with AVFC but as a member of the human race

Holy shit, I'm not endeared to the useless marines but it's thanks to people like him, and me and anyone else that has wore the uniform and put themselves in harms way so that people like you can have opinions like that and voice them, sometimes though opinions should be thought and not heard/written, sometimes they cross a line.

back on topic...Randolph Lerner, one of, if not, the worst custodian in Villa's 141 year illustrious history.

No direction, no leadership, shocking appointments and and and....

3 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

what he won't do is settle for the status quo in Div. 2.

He's settled on relegating us, so I'm not sure why you think he'd do an about face. He doesn't care, will not spend and can't/won't find a buyer. He also employs complete idiots at the highest levels of the operation, so I'd prepare to get used to the status quo. He is.

• Like 1

On 6 January 2016 at 17:23, villa4europe said:

He ended up replying to every comment with "ring Nicky Keye"

He was good at the start, think I used him as a service to ask stupid questions, usually about my match day experience, I don't know why some fans thought he'd start answering questions about why we sold Milner etc it's not going to happen

I was half joking about the pastie / pie comment in the AGM thread, half joking because I do suspect that the AGM will also dodge questions about players being sold and what the **** we're doing but happily discuss catering at VP and painting bridges if the train station was going to get renamed and maybe even the PA system... That was the kind of stuff you could hope to get an answer from krulak

The problem is with all these attempts by the club in the past to answer the fans they are usually staged managed....and if they can't do that, they lose interest in doing it.

They only want to answer questions we have little interest in ....unless the heat of the chips is important or the head on the beer is too big.

The pertinent questions will always be dodged.....probably the same at every club.

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, maqroll said:

He's settled on relegating us, so I'm not sure why you think he'd do an about face. He doesn't care, will not spend and can't/won't find a buyer. He also employs complete idiots at the highest levels of the operation, so I'd prepare to get used to the status quo. He is.

He does care....He has lost too much money not to care.

He just can't do the job....but its his money.

= Dilemma.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Nope. All I meant was that Sherwood seems to have been absolved by many of any blame for our transfers in the summer, despite the fact he was, by all accounts, a vital part of the team that brought the players in.

People seems to have taken a report in the media as gospel.

I think its more to do with no knowing to what extent he was involved, rather than blindly negating him from any responsibilty.

The pendulum of hate or blind faith is equally as unhelpful....He is gone now, so its irrelevant.....but a balanced view is generally the popular option.

4 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Man, you really don't like Tim Sherwood, do you? I am somewhat baffled by this apparent, enduring animus, which perhaps I'm misapprehending?

At least MON's ears have finally stopped burning :D

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I would sum Villa up as a analogue club in a digital footballing world. We just don't fit in at all. We have failed under Lerner to become a modern footballing power, yet have to much history and baggage just to be happy to aim for mid table. I mean right now I would rip your hand off for mid table, but long term most Villa fans deep down want more than that. We are not like a Norwich or Watford just happy to be part of it.

Villa are hard to package, hard to categorise. Who else would get 5,000 more at a game versus West Ham than when we played Arsenal? We have never really adapted to 'new' football post 92. Our support base has never really expanded in the last 15 years. That might be down to the performance on the pitch but I am sure Lerner hoped we would fill VP more than we when did even under MON. Since 2000 Villa Park has expanded by 3,000 seats. In the same time Arsenal has increased by over 20,000, United by 20,000, Newcastle by 15,0000, City by over 20,000, West Ham soon by 30,000, and Liverpool soon by 10,000.  And Spurs and Chelsea may have new grounds within 10 years.

Meanwhile, the mid ranking clubs have catched us up, and now have overtaken us. That is Lerner's legacy. A golden and perhaps last chance to become a big club again. Now we are sliding into obscurity with a owner that does not really care anymore. Heartbreaking.

Dude, you missed one big thing. Analogue is COOL and SEXY and AWESOME ...

Edited by Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

I would sum Villa up as a analogue club in a digital footballing world. We just don't fit in at all. We have failed under Lerner to become a modern footballing power, yet have to much history and baggage just to be happy to aim for mid table. I mean right now I would rip your hand off for mid table, but long term most Villa fans deep down want more than that. We are not like a Norwich or Watford just happy to be part of it.

Villa are hard to package, hard to categorise. Who else would get 5,000 more at a game versus West Ham than when we played Arsenal? We have never really adapted to 'new' football post 92. Our support base has never really expanded in the last 15 years. That might be down to the performance on the pitch but I am sure Lerner hoped we would fill VP more than we when did even under MON. Since 2000 Villa Park has expanded by 3,000 seats. In the same time Arsenal has increased by over 20,000, United by 20,000, Newcastle by 15,0000, City by over 20,000, West Ham soon by 30,000, and Liverpool soon by 10,000.  And Spurs and Chelsea may have new grounds within 10 years.

Meanwhile, the mid ranking clubs have catched us up, and now have overtaken us. That is Lerner's legacy. A golden and perhaps last chance to become a big club again. Now we are sliding into obscurity with a owner that does not really care anymore. Heartbreaking.

i grew up with us occasionally going for the title, but more so in and out of the top six quite a lot. yes there was the odd relegation battle but back when i was a bit younger we were considered one of the big clubs.

52 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

i grew up with us occasionally going for the title, but more so in and out of the top six quite a lot. yes there was the odd relegation battle but back when i was a bit younger we were considered one of the big clubs.

They were Div II the first time I saw them. 42 two years ago haha.

• Like 1

My worry is .....it just seems they don't know, why we are ,where we are.

which leaves me thinking, if that is the case, how on earth are we going to get back.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

The townspeople cried.  People from nearby towns laughed and pointed. The townsfolk were never happy, ever again. 

The townsfolk seem like fools. I blame them.

Harsh!  The townspeople were simple folk and only wanted what was best for the bicycle

• Like 1

Â