The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I don't think anyone can seriously question Lerner's financial commitment to the club. Yes, question his wisdom for giving O'Neill such a free reign, yes, wonder what on gods earth made him think it was a smart idea to appoint Alex McLeish, but the guy has put his own money in in spades. To me that says he does care. He just knows we need to be run differently now. Fine by me. I'm in no rush to see the back of him, the grass ain't always greener...

.......but sometimes it can be.

BJ10, it's been calculated previously that, whilst RL bought the club for 40M, he'd have to sell for an awful lot more in order to recoup the initial outlay plus all of the money pumped in thus far.

Yes but then again no one forced him to purchase the club. He may make a loss but that's partly down to his stupid decision making.

I just don't buy into the praise soley because he's put money into it. That's his job isn't it? Surely that's the bare minimum we expected when Doug sold the club.

I don't think anyone can seriously question Lerner's financial commitment to the club. Yes, question his wisdom for giving O'Neill such a free reign, yes, wonder what on gods earth made him think it was a smart idea to appoint Alex McLeish, but the guy has put his own money in in spades. To me that says he does care. He just knows we need to be run differently now. Fine by me. I'm in no rush to see the back of him, the grass ain't always greener...

.......but sometimes it can be.

It's very unlikely though.  Tbh if we continue to rebuild on the same basis as the last 12 months, with hungry young players coming in and tripling their value, not only will it be exciting but it will be financially sustainable.  Why would we want to change it?  Even though Randy has made plenty of mistakes before, I can't see much reason to worry about the future, which is really what counts now.

edit: I screwed up the quoting a bit on this, I was meant to be quoting MagicMushroom

Edited by sharkyvilla

It's only financially sustainable if we stay up.  Buying lots of young players might be exciting, but we showed last season it's also unpredictable at best.

If the future becomes as bright as it is looking at the moment and Lerner shows he cares and can put right his past mistakes I don't see why the majority of Villa fans wouldn't forgive him. Only those with an agenda will continue to put him down.

And those with a different agenda will have no problems with the performance of the club, or if they do, lay a small portion of the blame on the man who owns the club.

Lerner has put money into the club but let's no forget how cheap he purchased us for. Around £40 million for a club like us is ridiculous. While putting in money he'll know full well the value of the club will be a lot higher than £40 million when he comes to sell it.

I seem to remember £65m being mentioned, he's loaned us around £100m since then and given us about the same amount - the loans he'll get back eventually, but to make a profit I think he'll be looking for about £250m - I think it'll take at least another couple of years of book balancing to bring that down to a level that might be possible.

EDIT - Ender did it better.

Incidentally, what other business can expect to fail badly and have the man in charge pop a couple of hundred million of his own money in to prop it up?

Profit I think is a bit misleading here anyway, no one makes money out of a Premier league team, they're a status symbol not a business proposition.

• Like 2

I seem to remember £65m being mentioned,

I was under the impression it was £40 million for the club and £20 million on new players which Doug made part of the deal.

Incidentally, what other business can expect to fail badly and have the man in charge pop a couple of hundred million of his own money in to prop it up?

When the business fails because of the owner surely it's his responsibility to look after it. I can't believe that some think this is worthy of praise. Edited by Big_John_10

I seem to remember £65m being mentioned,

I was under the impression it was £40 million for the club and £20 million on new players which Doug made part of the deal.

When the business fails because of the owner surely it's his responsibility to look after it. I can't believe that some think this is worthy of praise.

£20m for Doug maybe. The idea that Doug would jeopardise his own cut for the club is laughable. I'm pretty sure he paid around £65m. 

It's not so much praise I guess, it's more that we should be grateful that we have an owner prepared to lavish enourmous sums of money on our team, it's a blessing. Of course on the other hand, if he wasn't so occasionally bone stupid, he could probably do a lot more with it. I'll take generous and daft though.

• Like 1

He paid 65 million for 100 percent of the shares. Of those shares, Ellis owned 30 percent, so trousered 20+ million. I think I got about a grand for mine.

But Randy paid the 64.6 million pounds for the Club. Any spent on players was and is on top of that.

• Like 2

You lot should consider yourselves lucky. If I owned the club I would have used the club itself as collateral to get debt to buy it for me (ie: do a glazers) then be playing entirely youth/free transfer players and pocketing the parachute money to make my massive monies profits. After that I had milked the club dry and we were sitting pretty in league one I would generously offer a transfer budget of a few million quid to get us promoted again and then sell its tired ass to some chump for even more lovely cash.

This attitude is possibly why I do not own a football club..... although Venkys do....

You lot should consider yourselves lucky. If I owned the club I would have used the club itself as collateral to get debt to buy it for me (ie: do a glazers) then be playing entirely youth/free transfer players and pocketing the parachute money to make my massive monies profits. After that I had milked the club dry and we were sitting pretty in league one I would generously offer a transfer budget of a few million quid to get us promoted again and then sell its tired ass to some chump for even more lovely cash.

This attitude is possibly why I do not own a football club..... although Venkys do....

I was reading this and was going to bring up Venkys until I realized you said it. Rovers really are the laughingstock of football now, aren't we?  :( (If Villatalk had a crying emoticon I would've used that.  

I was reading this and was going to bring up Venkys until I realized you said it. Rovers really are the laughingstock of football now, aren't we?  :( (If Villatalk had a crying emoticon I would've used that.  

Sorry mate. You will rise again. Good club with top fans. You deserve better :(

I'm not being sarcastic here - it could have been worse. Wolves were relegated, for example.

It's not so much praise I guess, it's more that we should be grateful that we have an owner prepared to lavish enourmous sums of money on our team, it's a blessing. Of course on the other hand, if he wasn't so occasionally bone stupid, he could probably do a lot more with it. I'll take generous and daft though.

I'm struggling to see why we should be grateful for the last 3 years. Especially when the last 2 have been the worst in our premiership history.

I think he does get praise for it and there certainly seems to be some who have no problem with what he's done.

Under the last guy we were usually a top 8 team, played in europe, won a cup and finances were ok. If we ever manage to get to that level again i've no doubt Lerner will be treated as some sort of hero.

I'm struggling to see why we should be grateful for the last 3 years. Especially when the last 2 have been the worst in our premiership history.

I think he does get praise for it and there certainly seems to be some who have no problem with what he's done.

Under the last guy we were usually a top 8 team, played in europe, won a cup and finances were ok. If we ever manage to get to that level again i've no doubt Lerner will be treated as some sort of hero.

Difference being under the majority of the previous owners reign there wasn't numerous teams throwing around £100m every transfer window. Chelsea and City have certainly changed things over the last 10 years.

The main reason I want Randy to sell is two fold.

1. I have no faith in the man to run a football club. He has done a shambolic job in his time here. Running the club into the ground by gambling on Champions League football with big transfer funds and high wages we could not sustain. The only way to sustain it would have been to get Champions League. 

2. If he sold the club the new owner would clear our debts to him. So the approx 100 million the club owes him would be paid in full. If this happens while the club is in the black a new owner can invest in the playing squad while maintaining the clubs finances remain in the black, no excessive wages. 

3. We can move forward. A new owner will be a new start, we can all move forward then together. Under Randy that can't happen fully. We don't necessarily need rich owners we need astute ones. 

The grass isnt always greener

This is such a stupid simplistic response. It just means that there is always uncertainty. No shit sherlock.

You could say the exact same thing about shipping out players and signing new ones every summer.

The grass isn't always greener. The non response. 

Randy has put in an average of 20 million per season into players. Not many people could afford to do that, and cushion the losses most premier league clubs make. Add in the costs of buying the club, and you're down to a very select group of people who could actually afford the thing without massive amounts of debt, and I doubt many of them would be that interested.

Â