The Randy Lerner thread

CI

We could be shedding up to £20m-25m a year in wages this summer plus the new TV money will come in, that 87.5% figure will go down dramatically if we stay up.  Considering the hole we've been in that's a very good turn around and hopefully something to build upon again.  Does anyone know how much the TV deal will be worth to us next season?

I'd estimate next years revenue will increase to £100-105m, from around £80m this year (12-13) and £80m last year (11-12).

• Like 1

We could be shedding up to £20m-25m a year in wages this summer plus the new TV money will come in, that 87.5% figure will go down dramatically if we stay up.  Considering the hole we've been in that's a very good turn around and hopefully something to build upon again.  Does anyone know how much the TV deal will be worth to us next season?

I'd estimate next years revenue will increase to £100-105m, from around £80m this year (12-13) and £80m last year (11-12).

Cheers Ender, so if we do cut £20m from the wage bill then what's left of the squad will be probably less than 50% of the turnover, down from 87%.  That should leave plenty of wriggle room for new wages, either pay rises for the likes of Weimann and Benteke or new players coming in.  If Lambert can continue to provide such incredible value for money on his signings then we could be in for some good times ahead.  Just need to stay up.

such incredible value for money

I'm not sure i agree with just being happy with value for money. Jordan Bowery is value for money but a team full of him would go down.

I prefer quality players that are good enough than just value for money.

Listening to G mac on talk sport earlier. He said that after we beat Liverpool and Arsenal and the season ended not once did Lerner contact him.

Seems strange for an owner to not say anything to the guy who was in charge at the end of the season or to not even be the one to inform him he no longer has a job.

Guess it shows the lack of interest our owner has taken in us over the last few years.

Lerner is just a complete arsehole and he has presided over 3 consecutive seasons of failure and misery.

The sooner he goes the better.

Not on your Christmas Card list then 'pacbuddies?' ;)

Did Faulkner contact him? Faulkner is the manager boss and Faulkners boss is Lerner.

In my job my manager superior never contact me about my work

Exactly.

He's the owner. G mac was the first team manager at the end of the season. I find it strange there was zero contact.

Lerner is just a complete arsehole and he has presided over 3 consecutive seasons of failure and misery.

The sooner he goes the better.

I don't know why anybody would want to be an owner of a football club. He has invested a stack of money to try and get us into the champions league, unfortunately he saw the money was wasted and then he decided to cut the wage bill because we were living way beyond our means. Ok there's little contact but I think people are too harsh on him.

Edited by PaulC

"Seems strange for an owner to not say anything to the guy who was in charge at the end of the season or to not even be the one to inform him he no longer has a job". Or was it that the decision had already been made that we would have a new management team in place for the following season and so he would have found it uncomfortable to have said well done on keeping us up when he knew he would shortly be letting him go Big_John_10?

Gmac was interim manager - Houllier was our manager.

Gmac's employment - like most staff under a manager - depend on that manager remaining in the job.

I suppose Lerner should have turned up personally to thank Gmac for his massive efforts, handed him a gold watch and given him the key to Villa stadium in a ceremony covered by all the major press....

... or he could have just handed him his slip once Houller was out the door, as I suspect any other owner would do.

It's a case of "any stick to beat Lerner with" for some of you lot.

• Like 1

It's a case of "any stick to beat Lerner with" for some of you lot

There's plenty of sticks to beat such a poor owner with.

I just thought it was strange. The guy took over the first team when Houllier was unwell and there was no contact from the owner. Not really a stick to beat Lerner with, like I said he's shown how shit he is all by himself, just for me this shows the lack of interest we've now seen become a regular thing with our owner.

Having been perusing a few of the threads on here lately, I have to say that it is not often that I agree with BJ10, but here I very much do. Rather than consider it to be just another opportunity to have a pop at our owner, there does appear to be more here than just antagonism.

From what I have seen here, GMac has been asked a question, and felt confident enough to state that Lerner had no contact with him (at all) after the Arsenal and Liverpool games. Not even to say 'good win, well done lads' etc? That is odd in my book. Did Ellis not do that sort of thing when he was the owner? I know, horses for courses and all that, but still.

Perhaps Talksport asked the wrong question - I don't know, I didn't hear it. I don't think GMac is the kind of guy to start spouting crap to make a scene either, so I am not convinced he said 'I had no contact' (or whatever) merely to cause trouble and make Lerner look a nob.

I guess we will never know - but an interesting development BJ10. Thanks.

Did Faulkner contact him? Faulkner is the manager boss and Faulkners boss is Lerner.

In my job my manager superior never contact me about my work

Exactly. 

I know I should just stay calm. Chill, briny, and watch all this crazy stuff flow past you...but, no...

1. Where is there any evidence that Faulkner is formally the manager's "boss"? The usual arrangement would be for the Chief Exec to report to the board on operational matters and the manager on footballing matters. It may be that Lambert has to talk to Faulkner a lot because Randy is rarely here and has little clue about football but that's a dysfunction, not a function of the way the club is run;

2. Any organisation which is so hierarchical that a tier of senior management has NO contact at all with staff only two levels below, and thus has no idea at all about the attitudes, talents and potential of the people in that tier, is probably heading for the rocks, so I would be looking for another company. "Exactly", nothing, Mr PieFacE! This is not a normal state of affairs for a well-run organisation.

McAllister had just taken over the running of the team in the wake of a lunatic Frenchman and saved it from the near relegation, also ended the season with unexpected victories over Arsenal and Liverpool. You would expect the Chairman at least to put his head round the door and say "well done!".

Edited by briny_ear

Or maybe McAllister was part of the reason it all kicked off with Dunne and Collins. Maybe McAllister and Lerner had already fallen out. Maybe Lerner thought the guy was an idiot or didnt like him. Maybe Lerner did try to contact McAllister. Maybe Lerner could only do it over the phone but thought it more suitable for someone, like Faulkner, to speak with him face to face.

What is fact is that none of us know the full details of why he wasnt contacted by Lerner or if he was contacted by Faulkner. None of us know the way each football club is run and what is the 'norm' and its totally pointless comparing it to another organisation.

But yeah flippantly judge any party anyway, think I'll join in too. McAllister is a clown as is Lerner as is Faulkner repeat to fade zzzzzzz

If the worst does happen this season do you think our **** of an owner will have the decency to apologise to the supporters of this club through TV or Radio media or will we get some half arsed press release from Faulkner and the re-opening of the Twitter account they used during last summer?

I think Lerner - and Lambert - should apologise at the end of the season anyway, for having given us such a rubbish season and for having taken us close to relegation for such a long period. Even if we stay up, it will be no triumph.

Or maybe McAllister was part of the reason it all kicked off with Dunne and Collins. Maybe McAllister and Lerner had already fallen out. Maybe Lerner thought the guy was an idiot or didnt like him.

I'd find it highly unlikely that if these scenarios were true Lerner would be happy for G mac to take over the first team.

Â