The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Laugh all you want, just be carefull you don't inhale too much sand.

You make a sweeping generalisation to pigeon hole a wide group of fans who are critical of Lerner as being fickle and then you accuse me of doing the same to you. Priceless.

"Modern day football fans" was the original quote. You take quick offense at something that was not aimed at you specifically.

And I stand by what I said - Lerner's in a tough spot:

Does he back the manager because of our position, only to see it hit us harder financially if we are relegated?

Or does hold his money, knowing that - like McLeish - there's no point backing someone in January that you are firing in May (regardless of our final position)?

Either way - damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Those that want to crucify him will do just that - regardless of what action he takes.

"Modern day football fans" was the original quote. You take quick offense at something that was not aimed at you specifically.

And I stand by what I said - Lerner's in a tough spot:

Does he back the manager because of our position, only to see it hit us harder financially if we are relegated?

Or does hold his money, knowing that - like McLeish - there's no point backing someone in January that you are firing in May (regardless of our final position)?

Either way - damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Those that want to crucify him will do just that - regardless of what action he takes.

He will be damned when we are down allright.

Agreed.

It would be "at last he has done something and backed Lambert up".......

... until the end of the season. Then if things didn't work out it would be "what was he thinking signing X on Y wages?!?!".

Damned if you do. Damned if you dont.

And the alternative is?Do nothing and get relegated?No guarantee of coming right back up,and then reduce the budget even more.

Randy Lerner said: “In the time that I’ve come to know Paul what is clear above all else is his strength of character and belief in his approach to football. Fortunes can shift quickly in this game and a sense that one has it right can become grave doubt in a matter of a few games. The Villa Board knew that with Paul we would begin to address the Club’s multi-year lack of competitive stability by reshaping the squad with seven new signings in the summer. It has been rewarding at times this season although certainly frustrating as well, particularly recently. During January Paul and the Board have discussed a variety of players although nothing has yet materialised, which I know also can be frustrating as fresh players always give at least a sense of progress and optimism. Finally, and on a very personal note, I would reiterate that Paul has achieved success at many levels of professional football and I believe, given support, he will continue to do so for us.”

Edited by VillaRoy

Villa Chairman Randy Lerner has spoken of his support for Paul Lambert…

The Chairman said: “In the time that I’ve come to know Paul what is clear above all else is his strength of character and belief in his approach to football. Fortunes can shift quickly in this game and a sense that one has it right can become grave doubt in a matter of a few games. The Villa Board knew that with Paul we would begin to address the Club’s multi-year lack of competitive stability by reshaping the squad with seven new signings in the summer. It has been rewarding at times this season although certainly frustrating as well, particularly recently. During January Paul and the Board have discussed a variety of players although nothing has yet materialised, which I know also can be frustrating as fresh players always give at least a sense of progress and optimism. Finally, and on a very personal note, I would reiterate that Paul has achieved success at many levels of professional football and I believe, given support, he will continue to do so for us.”

"During January Paul and the Board have discussed a variety of players although nothing has yet materialised."

This is the key bit for me. There has to be funding available.

It gave me a bit of hope, or maybe that was the plan! give them hope and that will shut them up untill the wndow closes.

Edited by villan_007

I feel all warm inside now, rather like the feeling that I have when I have eaten a hamburger from outside VP. It looks OK, it smells OK but you just now it is going to come out of you in a few hours with the speed and consistency of a melted aero bar.

Lerner's people really cannot believe that a statement like that will appease a lot of the fans do they? It will be analysed down the last vowel by the fans and then ripped apart as things unfold or don't as the case may be.

If we don't sign anyone now, and results don't pick up, Lerner is going to start getting it big time from the fans. He has to make his actions speak louder than his words or else this is going to be a total cock up on the PR front - a statement like this will inflame rather than assuage.

Let's hope there is genuine substance behind the "support" for Paul.

:lol:

Big time uh, what you mean more than now?

Lerner and Lambert both are hoping that the team will click, our defending will improve and we very slowly pull clear; complete pot luck if that happens.

Yes I think so. Obviously making sweeping generalisations, but I think fans and the media are only just starting to build an 'anti-Lerner' narrative.. You only have to look at the weekend's press coverage of Aston Villa's 'remote control' owner to realise this. I think it could get an awful lot worse for him yet if things don't pick up one way or another.

...and where is this statement from?

How do we know it's just not aload of PR pish in his name or do we all have to believe and accept it? The man has a tattoo after all!

Villa journalists on Twitter (Abraham, Kendrick etc..), you don't have to believe if you wish not to but it's a glimmer of hope for some.

Â