The Randy Lerner thread

CI

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

£168m over 10 years is not a massive amount for a premier league team.  

Where does that leave us vs other Premier League teams over the ten years? 

We must have been one of the biggest during the 2006-10 and the Swiss Ramble mentioned we were the 8th biggest net spender over three seasons up until 13/14. Our net spend over ten years must be no lower than tenth(?). 

(I don't think net spend paints a full and accurate picture of anything anyway. It's misleading on so many levels. What I do know is a lot of money has been wasted. As Hanoi said - there were too many outright disasters).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

£168m over 10 years is not a massive amount for a premier league team. More importantly the majority of that was spent early on and then there was a sudden shift to the complete opposite strategy. No gradual process. Just a massive shift. Of course it will have a detrimental effect.

Like you say, much of it was in the early part of the 9 years or so. Which IMO was a pretty massive amount, even for a premier league team. It's not just the transfer fees either it's the wages these expensive players commanded, and the agent fees....

It's one of the areas where I have some sympathy with Lerner. Yes he happily let the money be spent, but to have a manager he trusted get such little value in terms of results or financial return on all that wedge was a let down for him and for us. And we saw what happened once Lerner got to the point of "this can't carry on like this" (a not unreasonable view to take - all clubs judge managers on results and transfer performance).

Of course with hindsight, or a wiser man would have curtailed O'Neill's wastefulness, in particular, earlier and might have been more discerning in allowing later manager whose name I can't remember, for some reason...from spending so much on Shay Given, N'Zog etc.

But basically, Lerner was let down by managers at least as much as, and probably more than by his own naivity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Well its easy to see where over £100,000,000 went

Book1-1.thumb.png.0d488de706b65da04c8f95

There have been a handful of big successes as well in terms of profit made in selling them on. Young cost 9 mill and was sold for 16, Downing cost 10 mill and was sold for 20, Benteke cost 7 mill and was sold for 32 and Milner cost 10 mill and was sold for 27, if we assume that Ireland was valued at 7 mill. That is the best part of 60 mill profit on four players.

Overall though I would acknowledge that Lerners biggest failing hasn't been a lack of money spent it has been not either having the where with all himself, or to employ those with the right attributes to ensure that spending, certainly in terms of wages, didn't get out of hand. Perhaps if he had employed a decent Chairman to oversee things, as it seems he is trying to do now, from the get go then we wouldn't have gotten ourselves in the shit we have.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Well its easy to see where over £100,000,000 went

Book1-1.thumb.png.0d488de706b65da04c8f95

I dont care about the prices but we bought some real crap, of that list only Dunne maybe Collins and Vlaar were worth the price

The Express has an article saying Lerner wants Villa to become one of the best run clubs in the country and will not sell until it is. Seeing as he has managed the club into its current state I guess we are stuck with him for a while.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KHV said:

sorry got it wrong, we are 10th

Scandalous that we have slowly got sucked down a division, flapping about like a half dead circus won goldfish haplessly just going through the motions of the inevitable spiral down the drain.

*Sigh*

Still though, looking on the bright side, um, well, nothing. Lerner out.

Bent & Benteke were probably worth over £200m for keeping us up. 

Probably the same amount we are about to miss out on over the coming seasons. 

Maybe a lot more given the new TV Deal percentage swings!

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Arj Guy said:

whose ahead of us? I'm guessing the big 6, Everton, Newcastle and West Ham

Correct mate, Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham, Newcastle, Everton, West Ham.

Not a million miles away from West Ham and Everton however some way off Newcastle, nowhere near Spurs and its not even worth mentioning the other 5, they are in a totally different league to us in terms of finances.

When Spurs get their new stadium they will fly up the charts, Liverpool also need a new stadium to compete with the big 4

Edited by KHV
  • Like 1

Â