The Randy Lerner thread

CI

His disastrous tenure suggests to me there is no hope for us in any division while he remains at the helm.

Yep, it will be more cost cutting when we go down. I imagine it'll be like it is now, but battling to stay in that league. Rinse and repeat.

Lerner does not understand football. Simple as that.

Based on what?

I also don't get the years of NFL comments, I'm pretty sure Lerner knows more than anyone about relegation and what it will do to us

Based on 9 years of frankly bizarre decisions (McLeish, Lambert's contract, no football/financial set up at the club etc) and thinking that because we were lucky enough to survive twice on the cheap, whilst the big TV money came in, we could keep doing it. He is either a naive and deluded man who is awful at business and knows nothing about football, or very very very unlucky.

Any man who gets excited over a recommendation by Ferguson has to be a little short on brain cells.

• Like 3

A good point in another thread:

one thing I've never seen discussed here, when the FFP was being cooked up who was our sponsor and how much did they pay us? I can't remember how long we actually had acorns for, if it was 3 years that roughly £25m down on what we could be, then at the time you add that we were 6th, in Europe, in cup finals etc so should have been negotiating for £10m+ shirt deals so the loss of potential earnings since is probably about another £10m

So in reality we shot ourselves in the foot to the tune of around £35m in the years before you can only spend what you earn rules came in, no one mentions that as one of lerners bad decisions

That to me just shows how football has changed, and not for the better, during lerners ownership

There is a hierarchy of responsibility for a reason. Lambert clearly takes some of the blame but the vast majority of it falls on the shoulders of the man at the very top who has the power to make all the decisions. For this season alone though Lambert takes most of the blame but if Fox is now making the calls he needs to take a chunk of the blame for not acting sooner on Lambert and hiring a novice manager when we needed experience. That is of course if we go down.

Sad thing is, no matter what league we are in, I expect the same cost cutting and poor funding and ultimately yet another relegation battle.

• Like 1

I've got a mate trying to sell his house in Pinner. He wants 650,000 quid for a four bedroom semi. He's had two viewings and no offers in nearly a year, in spite of decorating it and sticking some twigs in a vase.

I gave him some advice: Drop the fcking price by a hundred grand at least.

He looked at me as though I was mental.

We seem to live in an era where people want the money for assets that they think it's 'worth'. Those days are rapidly heading for the rocks.

• Like 1

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11442718/Randy-Lerner-in-limbo-over-Aston-Villa-sale.html

Aston Villa’s Premier League status is in serious jeopardy, which is clearly hampering owner Randy Lerner’s attempts to sell the club – and certainly his attempts to recoup his investment.

Lerner declared last summer that he was shelving the sale for this season – basically because no buyer could be found – while there are persistent rumours that he is willing to slash his asking price should someone be prepared to come forward. That price may fall as low as £100 million.
Now there does, finally, appear to be two interested parties. Both are said to be serious in their intent and initial discussions have taken place, with the Villa sale being handled by Bank of America Merrill Lynch.
It is unlikely that anything will progress before the end of this season simply because relegation would have a huge impact on what price Villa could fetch – and whether those potential buyers remain interested in the first place. Conversely, if Villa avoid the drop, and given the new £5 billion television deal, then Lerner may feel buoyed to raise his asking price again.

We all want Lerner to sell, so on the face of it this is good news . . . we have to hope though that he'll still want to sell us if we go down, even with a vastly reduced asking price. I suppose that's extremely unlikely. 

I've got a mate trying to sell his house in Pinner. He wants 650,000 quid for a four bedroom semi. He's had two viewings and no offers in nearly a year, in spite of decorating it and sticking some twigs in a vase.

We seem to live in an era where people want the money for assets that they think it's 'worth'. Those days are rapidly heading for the rocks.

He already has lowered his asking price from apparently £250m to £150m. That doesn't look like an unreasonable asking price on something with £100m+ turnover.

Problem is you have to be careful with lowering the asking price. Like for example Shaw_nuff's friends house, you don't want to lower it to much then have the Chavs come in and buy it. They will then spend nothing on it and in the end will become the shit hole of the street.

He already has lowered his asking price from apparently £250m to £150m. That doesn't look like an unreasonable asking price on something with £100m+ turnover.

That's turnover.

Also, any business getting involved in an asset should look at the lifecycle of a bubble and decide when to get in or get out.

All bubbles throughout history have burst at some point without fail. I believe the PL (especially after the new deal announcement) is somewhere between 'Greed' and 'New Paradigm' on the chart below.

Unless of course this bubble is 'different this time' (New Paradigm). Unlike the south-sea, tulip, dotcom, housing (still going on), stock market, Gold, railway bubbles etc....etc...

bubble-lifecycle.gif

Problem is you have to be careful with lowering the asking price. Like for example Shaw_nuff's friends house, you don't want to lower it to much then have the Chavs come in and buy it. They will then spend nothing on it and in the end will become the shit hole of the street.

Yup, Peanuts & Monkeys come to mind!

That's turnover.

Also, any business getting involved in an asset should look at the lifecycle of a bubble and decide when to get in or get out.

All bubbles throughout history have burst at some point without fail. I believe the PL (especially after the new deal announcement) is somewhere between 'Greed' and 'New Paradigm' on the chart below.

Unless of course this bubble is 'different this time' (New Paradigm). Unlike the south-sea, tulip, dotcom, housing (still going on), stock market, Gold, railway bubbles etc....etc...

bubble-lifecycle.gif

People have been saying that since the mid 90s though.

How long do you think bubbles last? Some are five years, others are thirty or longer.

I'm not saying when this bubble will burst, but in all history all bubbles do.

all he needed to buy us to keep us up and protect hes investment was a striker and he didnt even do that :(

why we didnt start looking for one assoon as the winter window opened ill never know :(

How long do you think bubbles last? Some are five years, others are thirty or longer.

I'm not saying when this bubble will burst, but in all history all bubbles do.

It may burst at some point in the future but any investors aren't going to look at the massive new TV deal about to come into play, at a time when they aren't allowed to waste millions of there own money and think £150m is excessive. 

Obviously our current position in the league makes them weary at present though. I'd be surprised to see a team sold for less than £100m in the premier League any time soon.  

Lerner does not understand football. Simple as that.

Based on what?

I also don't get the years of NFL comments, I'm pretty sure Lerner knows more than anyone about relegation and what it will do to us

They dont have relegation in the NFL and during all the years that he owned the Cleveland Browns they did absoutely nothing.He is doing the same thing here with Aston Villa.

Â