The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Fox might run the club to a certain extent but Randy is still going to have the final say in anything that involves money.

All im saying is Lerner does not have to be here to run the club.

Yes - but he appointed the bloke who is.

Pretty sure the guys legacy is shot to ribbons anyway. 

'I'm what you call the custodian. There have been plenty of custodians of Aston Villa since 1874 and if I can't make it work, I will do what the others did, move on and let someone else try.'

The sooner he acts upon his own words the better.

• Like 3

We would need 50 Million on players to get out of the Championship first time round and a team with fight. I doubt we are going to have either.

I don't think we would.

Why I fear we would not bounce back is how poorly we are run off the field - from top to bottom we are a mess - thats not a foundation for a good football team at any level.

We would need 50 Million on players to get out of the Championship first time round and a team with fight. I doubt we are going to have either.

I don't think we would.

Why I fear we would not bounce back is how poorly we are run off the field - from top to bottom we are a mess - thats not a foundation for a good football team at any level.

There have been a lot of changes recently between the owner and the team so that seems a bit presumptuous.

What would relegation do to his legacy?

For a club like ours to be relegated when there's this much money in football is horrendous ownership of the club.

Currently- on a par with Ellis.

Relegation- worse than Ellis for me.

Did anyone really envisage this less than a decade after he took over. I know you can't always predict football but we weren't sold this in summer 2006 that's for sure.

Let's not forget you can get a ridiculous amount of loans in when you go down plus we'd still be a big draw for lower league players with the wages compared to most other clubs.

That's what West Ham did anyway although they could still only get up through the play offs.

What would relegation do to his legacy?

For a club like ours to be relegated when there's this much money in football is horrendous ownership of the club.

Considering he came into the club claiming to be our honorable custodian he really has **** us over

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 3

Didn't Newcastle keep a lot of their best players when they went down?

Their owner has a lot more money than Randy. Plus according to the papers as of a few years back we started putting clauses in playing and non playing staff's contracts where in the event of relegation wages are cut.

"as of a few years back we started putting clauses in playing and non playing staff's contracts where in the event of relegation wages are cut".  

That shows the budget we have been working with since then was known to be insufficent to ensure we would retain our top flight status useless but that it was a risk the owner was prepared to take. It seems prudent now in our current sad situation but I doubt that Spurs or Everton for example felt the need to do the same back then.   

• Like 1

Seems the Mantra for today is

"We left it to late before changing the manager"

Well obviously yes - for a multitude of reasons - where does the responsibility for this decision lie ? - Randy, TF , or a combination of them both ?

The truth is we don't really know do we?

If Lerner decides who the manager is then he's to blame.

If he's left it up to Fox then Fox is to blame.

If it's a joint decision they're both to blame.

If Fox has the decision but he's been told by Lerner that we're only interested in staying in the league, then it's up for debate. I'd argue that until we lost that Hull game, relegation wasn't looking "likely". And by likely I mean MORE likely than staying up. It was quite obviously a possibility.

The truth is we don't really know do we?

If Lerner decides who the manager is then he's to blame.

If he's left it up to Fox then Fox is to blame.

If it's a joint decision they're both to blame.

If Fox has the decision but he's been told by Lerner that we're only interested in staying in the league, then it's up for debate. I'd argue that until we lost that Hull game, relegation wasn't looking "likely". And by likely I mean MORE likely than staying up. It was quite obviously a possibility.

It does seem changing the manager wasn't on the agenda until the Hull game - that in itself I find very worrying.

Â