The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Why can't fans be both happy at where we are now and still be unhappy about previous years? This summer Lerner tried to sell us as he believed he couldn't take us where we want to go. After trying to sell us he realised he needed to do something now and since then he's decision along with Lambert have IMO been very good. New players New coach New CEO all have and will make a massive differnce to us. The appointment of Fox is a big coup. Lerner has always backed Lambert in summer windows and has done again and I've always believe 3/4 good acquisitions this summer would make a big differnce to us. Only time will tell if this is true but the signs are encouraging. Once you have a youngish sqaud in place you don't need to spend huge to do well in this league if you're run properly and buy and sell at the right times. Hopefully the lessons have been learned and we can grow year on year. There's a lot worse owners out there than Lerner sometimes it's better the devil you know.

I'll disagree with the idea that he's been backed lambert in summer windows. There's a reason most of his signings last season have been sent out.

When you compare us to other teams he's barely backed him again this summer.

He could of said **** it you can spend what you make from sales.

So he gets credit for not being a complete idiot when looking after his investment that's worth potentially hundreds of millions of pounds to him?

Maybe he's realised there's going to be no sale this side of xmas and thought continuing his investment in a club which has already cost him over 200m of his personal wealth may lead to an improvement in the on the field fortunes thus making it a better prospect for prospective new owners.

He could of said **** it you can spend what you make from sales.

So he gets credit for not being a complete idiot when looking after his investment that's worth potentially hundreds of millions of pounds to him?

Maybe he's realised there's going to be no sale this side of xmas and thought continuing his investment in a club which has already cost him over 200m of his personal wealth may lead to an improvement in the on the field fortunes thus making it a better prospect for prospective new owners.

I'd hope so.

The club must realise that the drop in attendance coincides with the drop in performances/transfer funds/ league finishes. If the club continues to work on a low budget, then the drops in attendance will only continue. Hopefully this is something that Fox will address with Randy.

Randy won't be worried about attendances this season.

If you think it'll put off prospective owners, you'd be wrong too.

Randy would whip out a bar chart pointing at the point he wanted to sell (and the austerity measures over the last 3 years), the dip in performance and the dip in transfer funds.

He'd then get another pie chart showing attendances from when he took over up until 2011 and say "Fair weather fans (myself inc) will come back quickly, just mention Sneijder" and then evil laugh his way to the bank. :D

What was it today? 30,000? Lowest attendance for a Premier League game I can remember since having my season ticket. Was it ever lower than that under McLeish?

It was 30, 267, which is actually only 25 fewer than the crowd for the Stoke game last season (30,292).

We also had lower crowds for Reading and Stoke in 2012/3, and only a handful more for the Newcastle game that season.

I agree that such a low crowd is worrying this early in the season, but it may be because of the timing. If the Newcastle fans can't get down, you are going to have a much lower crowd.

• Like 1

The Newcastle fans packed their end out. We always have bad attendances first game of season anyhow due to holidays. I remember Chelsea a couple of years back only got about 37-38?

I went on Saturday, bloody embarrassing when they announced the attendance to the joy of the travelling Geordies, even worse that when we tell them why it's bad ie poor investment, crap league positions, an unliked owner it makes you think about how they continue to get good attendances, and they've had a relegation and still dislike their owner.

One thing I would also say about the attendance though, I dashed straight off to the T20 final afterwards (that was amazing, what an atmosphere) I saw a lot of villa fans there, spoke to a few ST holders who missed the Newcastle game as they had bought their tickets in advance of the fixture list (which we all had to do) so they will be back for the hull game. Obviously can't tell how many were in this boat but this was just from talking to people immediately around me so could be a lot??

The Newcastle fans packed their end out. We always have bad attendances first game of season anyhow due to holidays. I remember Chelsea a couple of years back only got about 37-38?

I went on Saturday, bloody embarrassing when they announced the attendance to the joy of the travelling Geordies, even worse that when we tell them why it's bad ie poor investment, crap league positions, an unliked owner it makes you think about how they continue to get good attendances, and they've had a relegation and still dislike their owner.

One thing I would also say about the attendance though, I dashed straight off to the T20 final afterwards (that was amazing, what an atmosphere) I saw a lot of villa fans there, spoke to a few ST holders who missed the Newcastle game as they had bought their tickets in advance of the fixture list (which we all had to do) so they will be back for the hull game. Obviously can't tell how many were in this boat but this was just from talking to people immediately around me so could be a lot??

They continue to get good attendances becasue there isn't another bloody football clube for miles around other than Sunderland.  its a 2 team region whcih spans all the bloody way up to Scotland and a fiar few miles west no doubt.

Get them competing with the like of Wolves, Blues, Baggies, Stoke and see how they get on.

they have a northeast monopoly which will enver be broken.  Hardly the same.

Â