The Randy Lerner thread

CI

But that's the thing. We will just do enough to make sure we are a premiership team, nothing more. If he's given up actively looking after a few months then I find that worrying. It also means his last statement was bullshit.

Given the state of affairs - there's not much point him doing any more than that, is there?

Which is bad news. It means more years like the last few, more low league finishes, more average players signed.

To have an owner who openly admits he doesn't want to be here but isn't actively looking to sell isn't go to result in much.

Well we're stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment.

Investing in us at the moment is basically akin to burning money - finishing even in the Europa league places is a curse rather than a blessing given how little money you get for being in the tournament and how many extra players you need for the group stage games, and the fact that you need to spend a lot to finish in those sort of places anyway. We're not going to generate significant commercial revenue either so that leaves us with someone who basically fancies having an expensive plaything, and those guys are obviously in very short supply.

I'll take boring and safe for now until this FFP shit blows over because the only realistic alternative to that is utterly **** and we aren't there yet, thankfully. 

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 1

Everton would suggest that's not the only realistic alternative. We could still be a top half team with FFP rules. They shouldn't be used as an excuse for Lerner's lack of spending and plan for the club.

Well there's the difference between a well run club like Everton and and a poorly run club like us. Everton will be top six again this year and there is no reason why they cannot challenge for the 4th spot again as Liverpool are significantly weaker this year even after all those new players and Manure will be in transistion.

We have had very similar revenues to Everton throughout Lerner's nightmare ownership but it just goes to show the difference between having a knowledgible Chairman whose interest and love for the club are there for all to see and having a guttless idiot for a Chairman whose interest was completely lost after the first bit of difficultly arose.

Well one thing is Lerner will still be able to afford his fancy houses, private jets and shumite life long after he is nothing but a bad memory. You never know maybe some will remember his tenure through rose tinted spec's a bit like Herbert? 

FFP is a pitiful excuse for us not to be a top 10 team in 12 months under a half decent Chairman with a good CEO and a proper football manager.

• Like 1

All that tells you is that nobody's ever satisfied. However, unlike them, we do have legitimate grounds for grievances with the way the club has been run.

The grievances within that letter and within the general website tell stories about a non-existent takeover, a new owner not being found, money disappearing, penny pinching, deals falling through, lack of player investment (unless funded by player sales), the board not putting money in from their own pockets and so on. It all sounds so horribly familiar, but the main difference is Everton got lucky with David Moyes/Roberto Martinez.

When you have an owner that doesn't really understand football or football people, those he appoints to effectively run the Club for him become even more significant.

I used to think the one and only crucial appointment was the manager, but since following this thread I've come to think that a really good CEO can be just as significant. The problem here is that Lerner's staff appointments as owner of the Cleveland Browns were notoriously bad - and reports tell us he is now about to appoint a new CEO for us!

If he gets this one right, that is if we end up with someone we would like (e.g. Cortese), then there may be a glimmer of hope on the horizon, in as much as I can't believe anyone of a suitable character would take on the CEO role without telling Lerner the football facts of life and what needs to be done. Of course the reverse of this is that if we end up with another 'yes' man then we're completely in the dog-do.

Never thought I'd be this interested in a CEO appointment - never thought I could hold my breath for so long - fingers crossed, touch wood, whatever.

Landing at Birmingham Airport, maybe he's going to help us sign a few players or perhaps just wanted to congratulate the gang on their win Saturday.

Hopefully the former, I envisage him stepping off his jet and handing Lambert a briefcase full of nickels.

• Like 1

Maybe we have been sold? It's been mooted on TBAR, I know this site has distanced itself from that but....

Nah I personally don't believe it. I don't think a takeover can be completed without anyone getting wind of it. The ITKs who we know have a good source (Trent and Harj) have not said anything. Let's not forget it weren't so long ago that TBAR broke the news of the names of the new owners, also TBAR broke the news that Lambert had been sacked. Which all turned out to be pure fiction (this isn't a dig at TBAR, just an observation to take what they say with a pinch of salt)

• Like 1

They got lucky with Moyes - I think the jury is still out on Martinez.

If the jury is still out on Martinez then your opinion on nearly every other prem manager must be pretty poor!

Why? He's still working with what Moyes put in place there and despite the media wankfest, I'm not that impressed that he managed to scrape survival with Wigan because he pulled something out of his arse a couple of times at the end of a season. I think he could be a good manager, sure, but I don't think he's proven yet. 

• Like 1

Â