The Randy Lerner thread

CI

If it's true this £10m figure (why would that be released to the press?!?!?) then I'd hope Lambert gets in 2 players that will improve the midfield. One in the £6-7m range and one in the £3-4m range. I'd trust Lambert to find someone good enough for the larger figure and someone with good potential with the smaller sum. After all 2-3m is what Vlaar cost...

Thanks Midian. Gary Jacobs also writes in The Times today that our custodian is to "free up as much as £10m to spend on transfers" and "is expected to meet his manager today to discuss transfer targets". 

I just can't see any way that these figures aren't just plucked out of the journalist's rectum, no way on god's green earth that the figure has been released by the club.

Off the record info is common. Especially when a club wants something out there.

Just read on telegraph website Randy has freed up £10million to spend in this window

I have reason to believe that is about right.

The real problem though is the wage bill and the wages we can offer, even if Lambert wanted to spend that on one or two players it is unlikely that he could afford the level of wages they would command.

• Like 1

Just read on telegraph website Randy has freed up £10million to spend in this window

The real problem though is the wage bill and the wages we can offer, even if Lambert wanted to spend that on one or two players it is unlikely that he could afford the level of wages they would command.

Well, if that's all the club can afford then fine. I can appreciate the need for the club to be self-sustainable (though it completely sucks). But if Lerner is trying to make back the money he's lost by not making it available for transfers/wages then we're in Ellis territory. 

Be interesting if anyone who is much smarter than I am can figure it out. 

Edited by PieFacE

Well, if that's all the club can afford then fine. I can appreciate the need for the club to be self-sustainable (though it completely sucks). But if Lerner is trying to make back the money he's lost by not making it available for transfers/wages then we're in Ellis territory. 

My take on it, which has effectively been my take for the last 4 years is that he has been trying to put the club in a position for sale. I think most of the decisions since the departure of O'Neill have been with that in mind. 

I don't think he is taking money out of the club or has ever really done so (bar management fees shown in the accounts) but he has been using the last 4 years to pay down the excesses of previous years. Reducing the debts, reducing the wage bill and the percentage of the wage bill in relation to turnover.

Anyone selling or looking to sell any business will normally look to reduce costs and maximise profit in order to realise the best price and that is what I've long believed he has been doing.

Randy didn't vote for FFP and some argued that it was a signal that he would look to spend again, I always thought it was because he knew he was looking to get out and knew its introduction could impact on interest from potential buyers.

Some argue Lerner is simply trying to meet the requirements of FFP but I don't think this is what he is doing although I guess by us being compliant he might think that will aid his attempts to sell.

So in short, he is trying to make us profitable, reduce debt and sell. And in fairness there is nothing wrong with those aims but as I've argued previously its his own mistakes he is trying to correct and he is doing so too quickly and in a reckless way in my view.

More worringly, he seems to have got nearly all the big calls wrong, so whats to say the sale will be the start of a new era ?

My take on it, which has effectively been my take for the last 4 years is that he has been trying to put the club in a position for sale. I think most of the decisions since the departure of O'Neill have been with that in mind. 

I don't think he is taking money out of the club or has ever really done so (bar management fees shown in the accounts) but he has been using the last 4 years to pay down the excesses of previous years. Reducing the debts, reducing the wage bill and the percentage of the wage bill in relation to turnover.

Anyone selling or looking to sell any business will normally look to reduce costs and maximise profit in order to realise the best price and that is what I've long believed he has been doing.

Randy didn't vote for FFP and some argued that it was a signal that he would look to spend again, I always thought it was because he knew he was looking to get out and knew its introduction could impact on interest from potential buyers.

Some argue Lerner is simply trying to meet the requirements of FFP but I don't think this is what he is doing although I guess by us being compliant he might think that will aid his attempts to sell.

So in short, he is trying to make us profitable, reduce debt and sell. And in fairness there is nothing wrong with those aims but as I've argued previously its his own mistakes he is trying to correct and he is doing so too quickly and in a reckless way in my view.

More worringly, he seems to have got nearly all the big calls wrong, so whats to say the sale will be the start of a new era ?

Absolutely nothing I'm afraid, that is if a buyer can even be found! As I've said all summer since the first statement from Lerner I think we are likely to see out the year under his ownership.

But in terms of when a new buyer turns up, if they turn up, I certainly wouldn't put any faith in Lerner's judgement of their suitability or otherwise. As and when it happens we will just have to wait and see and unlike when Lerner turned up not be fooled by initial spending should it happen.

Absolutely nothing I'm afraid, that is if a buyer can even be found! As I've said all summer since the first statement from Lerner I think we are likely to see out the year under his ownership.

But in terms of when a new buyer turns up, if they turn up, I certainly wouldn't put any faith in Lerner's judgement of their suitability or otherwise. As and when it happens we will just have to wait and see and unlike when Lerner turned up not be fooled by initial spending should it happen.

I think he will sell to the first buyer with £100m plus in his pocket? He's too sensitive for all this football and passionate fans business and wants to sit in complete animinity and not have people watching his plane movements etc.

I think he will sell to the first buyer with £100m plus in his pocket? He's too sensitive for all this football and passionate fans business and wants to sit in complete animinity and not have people watching his plane movements etc.

I don't think he would sell to an out and out villian - but as you say if someone rocks up with £100m - I don't see Lerner asking to many questions....

My initial timescale predictions was that we would know the identity of the new owner by now - but it seems the interest level is close to zero....

Be interesting if anyone who is much smarter than I am can figure it out.

I don't believe its all we can afford.

I'd say the articles are just a rehash of old stories that have been brought up because Lerner has flown over. We are supposed to be making a profit this year so should be able to invest without Lerner putting anything in. When do we actually get the new TV money? If we are profitable now with that to come Lerner needs to invest a chunk of that aswell.

I find it difficult to believe that Randy is as poor a businessman as his involvement with our club has led us to believe. After all he is a billionaire (just), and although a huge chunk of his wealth was inherited from his father (2002) he has managed to hang onto it (sort of). So I thought I’d check the internet sources for some reassurance.  

I looked back at Randy’s sale of the Cleveland Browns to see if there could be a clue as to his modus operandi.

Reports on Cleveland.com state that in June 2012 Lerner denied a report on NBC that the Cleveland Browns were up for sale (perhaps he’d just forgotten), and then in July 2012 confirmed that they were (oh, those Cleveland Browns)  – and by August 2012 the deal was done!  It seems the fans had no idea this was in the pipeline until it happened (but you have to ask, did Randy either).

I like to see this as a positive for us. Perhaps he has found a buyer that will transform us back into a football club. A buyer who understands the difference between a club being entertaining and being a laughing stock – he’s just forgotten to mention it. (Pigs all fed and ready to fly).

However a couple of other comments from the same source:

“The biggest constant among those Randy hired was a lack of judgement, bordering at times on a lack of professionalism.”

“Randy Lerner wasn't a good owner by any means, but he wasn't a lucky one, either.”

Oh, and in 2008 he donated £5 million to the National Portrait Gallery (anyone any good with a paintbrush? A couple of decent paintings and we could double our (rumoured) transfer budget).

Anyway I’m reassured – Randy is as poor a businessman as we all fear!

I find it difficult to believe that Randy is as poor a businessman as his involvement with our club has led us to believe. After all he is a billionaire (just), and although a huge chunk of his wealth was inherited from his father (2002) he has managed to hang onto it (sort of). So I thought I’d check the internet sources for some reassurance.  

I looked back at Randy’s sale of the Cleveland Browns to see if there could be a clue as to his modus operandi.

Reports on Cleveland.com state that in June 2012 Lerner denied a report on NBC that the Cleveland Browns were up for sale (perhaps he’d just forgotten), and then in July 2012 confirmed that they were (oh, those Cleveland Browns)  – and by August 2012 the deal was done!  It seems the fans had no idea this was in the pipeline until it happened (but you have to ask, did Randy either).

I like to see this as a positive for us. Perhaps he has found a buyer that will transform us back into a football club. A buyer who understands the difference between a club being entertaining and being a laughing stock – he’s just forgotten to mention it. (Pigs all fed and ready to fly).

However a couple of other comments from the same source:

“The biggest constant among those Randy hired was a lack of judgement, bordering at times on a lack of professionalism.”

“Randy Lerner wasn't a good owner by any means, but he wasn't a lucky one, either.”

Oh, and in 2008 he donated £5 million to the National Portrait Gallery (anyone any good with a paintbrush? A couple of decent paintings and we could double our (rumoured) transfer budget).

Anyway I’m reassured – Randy is as poor a businessman as we all fear!

Ooooooohhhh, so  facy it was written in Times New Roman. :P

• Like 1

I have lost so much trust in Randy Lerner, which started for me when General Krulak disappeared as soon as Lerner started his retreat, that I absolutely have no trust in Lerner to find Villa a good owner to replace him. I wouldn't be surprised if he simply sells us to any Tom, Dick or Harry just to get rid of us and top his bank balance back up.

£10M,  10 fing million pounds and he is expected to compete with 8 teams to keep us in the league and still people criticise Lambert 

I'm not Lambert fan but the budget he has to work with is pathetic. £10mil is around what we spend on Draper / Southgate and Save almost 20 years ago !! 

• Like 2

Â