The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I love this "straight in his pocket" rubbish... Who do you think has been plugging the £50m losses every year?

Why do you think we are making £50m losses every year?

Take a look back at the historical books during Lerner's time. We've only just stopped bleeding money

And I think we're struggling to be sold because he's trying to recoup a lot of it now.

Even at 200m he wouldn't recoup what the club has cost him. Im not saying it's not good own fault or anything, but the fact is he's going to make a significant loss regardless

but doesn't that indicate that in the first fours years he spent reasonably well and when the money was spent badly largely by the man he put all his faith in,only then did he decide to throw the towel in (as far as spending goes and his man subsequently left).....thus lowering the average spend by the lack of spending in the last four years.

I guess it depends on  what argument you want to support.

Yes but then I didn't think that needed repeating yet again given that just about every Villa fan alive is already aware of that.

As for the accusation(again) I'm slanting the figures to support a particular argument or view point once again you are wrong. The only argument or point Im making is that the idea Lerner has spent a lot on players (fees) in his time here simply isn't true, I struggle to comprehend how anyone can dispute that.

your response is completely at odds with what i have written....I'm not sure how more simple i can make my point.I'm not asking you to agree with it, but it seems you have clearly missed it.

Randy Lerners second four years has negated the reasonable spending in the first four years.....to argue that he was generous in the beginning and miserly at the end would i guess be selective as to how you want to present your opinion of his spending....but to create a cumulative and say the 8 years he has been tight in my opinion is misleading.

I'm merely saying he never set out like this ..........his view on spending on players changed. in my humble opinion he lost confidence of getting value for money.

If everyone and his dog is saying this, then i apologise for not seeing it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Lets be honest its been a mitigating disaster for him.

the bits about whether its his own fault or not could create another pile of pages

I just don't think he picks staff very well.

but doesn't that indicate that in the first fours years he spent reasonably well and when the money was spent badly largely by the man he put all his faith in,only then did he decide to throw the towel in (as far as spending goes and his man subsequently left).....thus lowering the average spend by the lack of spending in the last four years.

Yes but then I didn't think that needed repeating yet again given that just about every Villa fan alive is already aware of that.

As for the accusation(again) I'm slanting the figures to support a particular argument or view point once again you are wrong. The only argument or point Im making is that the idea Lerner has spent a lot on players (fees) in his time here simply isn't true, I struggle to comprehend how anyone can dispute that.

your response is completely at odds with what i have written....I'm not sure how more simple i can make my point.I'm not asking you to agree with it, but it seems you have clearly missed it.

Randy Lerners second four years has negated the reasonable spending in the first four years.....to argue that he was generous in the beginning and miserly at the end would i guess be selective as to how you want to present your opinion of his spending....but to create a cumulative and say the 8 years he has been tight in my opinion is misleading.

I'm merely saying he never set out like this ..........his view on spending on players changed. in my humble opinion he lost confidence of getting value for money.

It isn't misleading, it's just a fact or as close as is possible to get when not all fees are revealed. Regardless of the pattern it is a matter of fact that he hasn't spent very much in terms of net spend during his tenure. Giving an average yearly figure over the 8 years isn't swaying events to fit opinion it is just an average figure to try and put the spending in context.

That the spending was front loaded in the first 4 years is irrelevant as is the fact he changed his approach, the net spend is the net spend.

That the spending was front loaded in the first 4 years is irrelevant 

No it isn't irrelevant...... it was central to his decision making to curtail his spending and a heavy influence on the decision for second four years.....that makes it totally relevant and further more the kernel to the problem.

I'm not saying i agree with his thinking just saying that is what i believe his line of thought to be.

Trent, I sincerely enjoy your posts.....but we will have to agree to disagree on this.

Edited by TRO

No it isn't irrelevant...... it was central to his decision making and a heavy influence on the decision for second four years.....that makes it totally relevant and further more the kernel to the problem.

I'm not saying i agree with his thinking just saying that is what i believe his line of thought to be.

Trent, I sincerely enjoy your posts.....but we will have to agree to disagree on this.

I think mate we are at cross purposes. I'm not disputing what your saying in terms of the reasoning or his thinking or the pattern to the spending. I just meant that none of that changes my original point, that the belief he has spent a lot on players in his time here in terms of fee's isn't actually true. That was it.

Anyway, as you say we can agree to disagree before we bore each other and everyone else :) (Although we maybe too late)

• Like 1

He will be here in Dallas, but won't be anywhere near me for the opportunity to yell every profanity I know at him.

It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife....

The most important thing is we spend 10m on average over the break even point every year so we are FFP compliant whilst spending as much as possible.

What if we spent 10.5M? Are Uefa going to check accounts and spending of every top league team in Europe?

The most important thing is we spend 10m on average over the break even point every year so we are FFP compliant whilst spending as much as possible.

What is FFP? :P

Financial fair play

Â