The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Lerner has to go! and no he wasn't worse that Ellis, but he has failed.

I am just surprised that while the fans turned on lambert there was never anything negative towards Lerner.

Oh there's no doubt the really reason for the mess is Lerner. Maybe it's because fans knew there was nothing they could do about Lerner but with the manager there is always the chance he will be replaced.

Plus when's the last time he even went to a game?

Richard was being very serious. It's a claim he's made on a few occasions.

**** me - I've heard it all now. Lerner may not be perfect and has made some howlers but you can't fault him he put his own money in the club unlike that other one who relegated us - dismantled the European and League Champions - called fans 'men on the terrace' and had just as much (if not more) disrespect/contempt for the fans and shareholders as Lerner.
For me I didn't experience any of that. In my experience as a villa fan I'd have to say lerner has been worse, however I recognise what Doug did in the past was awful. In terms of putting money in, I don't think that means he gets a free pass, I also think he'll get a lot of it back when he eventually sells.

I think he's been a shocking owner and the fact our last 3 years have seen less points than Doug's final season shows how poorly he's run the club so far.

He's gambled with our premiership status and has dragged us down to a level I've never seen us in before. I can't wait for his statement telling us he's leaving. I just hope for the sake of other sports fans out there he doesn't buy another sporting team.

I have to agree with John. It sounds like Ellis really messed the club up in the 80s but I was too young to experience that. In my time as a Villa fan the last 2 seasons have been the worst I have experienced. The only shining light has been Bentake.

Not just 80's - when we finished 2nd in the inaugral season - instead of investing to push us forward he held us back - sacked Ron Atkinson (who had an aging squad and it clearly needed investing in). So no problem guys with your views at all but some of us had over 25 years of him and that was more than enough!
But he did then get Brian Little in that gave us 3 great seasons and left a good squad for the next manager. He think he made a massive mistake backing Gregory. I agree he would get us so far and then never push on until we ended up standing still or going backwards.

Do you think though that had ellis put the extra mil on the table for juninho things may have turned out a little different for gregory. If i remember rightly we had him down villa for talks before boro?

good that he is putting the club for sale and not holding on for dear life like our last chairman. He tried but he failed but I don't think he ever tried to maliciously damage the club which others have done

• Like 1

It's a bit sad, really. He went all in with O'Neill, and we have paid the price for his failure.

Yeah it was horrible winning all those games and being a team that others were actually worried about playing for a change. 

• Like 1

randy tried,herbert douglas did'nt,always remember big ron saying after we finished 2nd that he wanted and could have got klinsman,ellis bought guy whittingham,enough said.

thanks for trying randy,all the best.

• Like 1

Thank you Randy.

With this mornings announcement and without knowing who we will be sold too, we have to look at what he tried to do and how he did it, and I think he genuinely tried his best, he spent a lot of money here, unwisely yes, but for all the right reasons, and whilst I understand why younger fans who did not have the full Ellis experience think he would be better, for my money he was a billion times better.

Only time will tell what his real legacy is, I hope he recoups some of the money he spent, but I also hope some of that debt does not travel with us. I just wish in my heart of hearts it had worked for him, because none of us can deny he wanted the best for us, just didn't know how to do it, he could have been the best owner we could of wished for.

I have real mixed feelings this morning, somebody above used the word “Sad” ….. , and it is.

• Like 2

Â