The Randy Lerner thread

CI

At the end of the day if a wealthy man buys the club then he must be confident of dealing with FFP. No rich guy is buying us to keep the books balanced and see struggling to get us out the bottom half.

Or maybe that'd be exactly the plan, and sit on it til the bubble bursts for the other clubs. Not saying that's a remotely intelligent approach, just you never know what way people will go with stuff like this. Plus Americans don't seem to grasp the relegation idea

If some rich guy was looking at a club in the Premier League to buy, that's not one of the top clubs and really make a force I think the best club would be either us or Newcastle.

I hope the rumours are true.

Look how Manchester City are doing it.  Look at PSG.  These rules are far from bulletproof.

Manchester City have a sponsor for the youth complex, and for the new youth complex they're having built.  They have a stadium sponsor, they have New York City FC who will pay them a management fee.

If the likes of Starbucks and Amazon can operate in the UK without paying much tax then the world's wealthiest people can find loopholes in FFP.  These people aren't rich by accident.

At the end of the day if a wealthy man buys the club then he must be confident of dealing with FFP. No rich guy is buying us to keep the books balanced and see struggling to get us out the bottom half.

Or maybe that'd be exactly the plan, and sit on it til the bubble bursts for the other clubs. Not saying that's a remotely intelligent approach, just you never know what way people will go with stuff like this. Plus Americans don't seem to grasp the relegation idea

That sounds very like Ellis's theory that one day prudence would pay off but as we know, the money kept coming; the rich clubs got richer and visa versa. While I believe that one day, SKY type deals may diminish, IMO if Lerner believes that the bubble is going to burst he is in for a long wait. If anything the rich clubs may seek ways to make themselves richer such as through a European elite league while fielding 2nd teams in national leagues.

As for Americans and "relegation" , although he denied it, back in 2010 there were very strong rumours that Lerner was involved in talks to make the PL a closed shop and tried to get the rules changed.

Look how Manchester City are doing it. Look at PSG. These rules are far from bulletproof.

Manchester City have a sponsor for the youth complex, and for the new youth complex they're having built. They have a stadium sponsor, they have New York City FC who will pay them a management fee.

If the likes of Starbucks and Amazon can operate in the UK without paying much tax then the world's wealthiest people can find loopholes in FFP. These people aren't rich by accident.

And Man United with DHL sponsoring the training kit. Yes the **** training kit. Spurs have already got multiple kit sponsors. It's how it's going as clubs know very very few can be competitive to FFP rules so sadly, whether we hate it, evrything will be sponsored. It's nothing new, I got old programmes where each player was sponsored in the matchday programme, though Kavs for Lavs sponsoring Ian Olney isn't the most exciting of deals.

I always thought FFP only came into being if you were competing in european competition? Don't matter I reckon. If you got the dollar, then come on in boys is the mantra.

Look how Manchester City are doing it. Look at PSG. These rules are far from bulletproof.

Manchester City have a sponsor for the youth complex, and for the new youth complex they're having built. They have a stadium sponsor, they have New York City FC who will pay them a management fee.

If the likes of Starbucks and Amazon can operate in the UK without paying much tax then the world's wealthiest people can find loopholes in FFP. These people aren't rich by accident.

And Man United with DHL sponsoring the training kit. Yes the **** training kit. Spurs have already got multiple kit sponsors. It's how it's going as clubs know very very few can be competitive to FFP rules so sadly, whether we hate it, evrything will be sponsored. It's nothing new, I got old programmes where each player was sponsored in the matchday programme, though Kavs for Lavs sponsoring Ian Olney isn't the most exciting of deals.

I always thought FFP only came into being if you were competing in european competition? Don't matter I reckon. If you got the dollar, then come on in boys is the mantra.

barca did deal with intel to put logo on inside of jersey hehe

Only passing on what somebody told me. The information most likely originates from HH and that other forum, no need to get arsey.  :) Is is not good news?

Seriously? Really? After all that bollocks you came out with in January? You are still trying to act all in the know?

I don't know why I've bothered replying to be honest as this is the kind of post you are trying to get, trolling by making up crap. I remember your original posts - where you posted in third person and was generally quite witty. But this new character, it's just boring.

D70PKtG.gif

Yes exactly.  If somebody wants to pass on stuff they've read on Twitter, why not just say "I've heard something on Twitter" rather than utter nonsense like "Been informed a takeover will be happening shortly. Watch this space."  That's somebody trying to pretend they're in the know, when that person should probably know better after they were made to look moderately daft in January.

Look how Manchester City are doing it.  Look at PSG.  These rules are far from bulletproof.

Manchester City have a sponsor for the youth complex, and for the new youth complex they're having built.  They have a stadium sponsor, they have New York City FC who will pay them a management fee.

If the likes of Starbucks and Amazon can operate in the UK without paying much tax then the world's wealthiest people can find loopholes in FFP.  These people aren't rich by accident.

Apart from Randy who is rich by an accident of birth ;)

Proud History, Bright Future

Rich Dad, Idiot Son

• Like 1

There are always ways around ffp rules as people have said. This is the time to do it though before the loopholes get worked out. After that its probably going to get close to impossible to catch up with the top teams.

Apart from Randy who is rich by an accident of birth ;)

Indeed, as are Sheikh Mansour and the Qatar people at PSG. Abramovich fares a bit better, he is rich by communism and the blessing of Putin.

Anyway, any potential suitor for the Villa must have 'self-made' on their CV, otherwise they don't qualify ;)

A new billionaire owner taking over would increase profits through gate receipts and merchandising alone. Think how many disillusioned fans will return!

I think that you will find that most of the really disillusioned ones turn up to each and every home game anyway.

• Like 1

He doesn't need to break FFP rules to sign better than we have over the past 2 years.

Budgets wouldnt change much though. We're probably skirting close to non compliance with spending as it is over the last 3 years. We need to make more money before we can spend more, no matter who the owner is
If our current wage bill.is skirting close to the edge then lerner's done worse running this club than I thought.

Surely there's no way a club like us can only afford to pay the wages we have over the last couple of years.

You've see the bottom line for the club the last 3 years the same as everyone else, it's been £30-50m a season in losses. The club claims that's balanced now and we're breaking even, but even at breaking even point we can still only add another £15m per season from the owner maximum, and that'd have to cover wages, running the company and transfer fees. It's not as clear cut as it used to be where a guy could come in and throw his personal wealth at it, the club can only spend what the club makes, plus £15m a year from the owner.

If a new guy comes in, I'd hope the first thing he does is cut the absolute arse out of the non-playing wages, which are phenomenally high and don't seem to be delivering any value for money at all. Our first team squad can't be on more than £40m a season combined, but the company's wage bill is almost double that. Get that sorted and spend the money where it counts instead and we'll have a lot more to play with on the pitch

The wage bill is £72m, which makes about £63m going out to employees. If the playing/coaching staff amount to 50 people at £40m, then the other £23m goes to the other 1550 staff at an average of £14529 pa. But i imagine that many of those are part time workers on matchday, who wouldn't be making anything like that kind of money.

My conclusion is that your £40m estimate is low, as there are no other 'high earners' on the wage bill.

Â