The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Faulkner gets away with murder on these forums. Does anyone realise what a CEO's remit is while the owner is not here.

And who hired him? Who continues to employ him?

Kinda agree where your going! But to be fair, he should have been sacked after the O'Neil debarcle.

Faulkner gets away with murder on these forums. Does anyone realise what a CEO's remit is while the owner is not here.

The first man to go for me would be Faulkner. I think a new man in who knows the technical side of football and not just the marketing and finance, would improve the club no end................!!

We could possibly move on with 20 million per season transfers and Lerner. We can't move on with a CEO who thinks employing (weather agreeing or overseeing) McLeish was a great idea!

I would have thought that the priority should be to hire a team manager who knows the technical side of football, because the present one clearly doesn't.

The first man to go for me would be Faulkner. I think a new man in who knows the technical side of football and not just the marketing and finance, would improve the club no end................!!

We could possibly move on with 20 million per season transfers and Lerner. We can't move on with a CEO who thinks employing (weather agreeing or overseeing) McLeish was a great idea!

I would have thought that the priority should be to hire a team manager who knows the technical side of football, because the present one clearly doesn't.

I think a proven track record in business is also very important.

And who hired him? Who continues to employ him?

Kinda agree where your going! But to be fair, he should have been sacked after the O'Neil debarcle.

which debacle?

They will be interesting reading for us fans. Shame we cant get this years half year accounts too so we have an up to date picture

Fear not, young sir, because they will at the very least tell us what has been spent last summer and this January transferwise in the Post Balance Sheet Events note.  Which should help put to bed some of the arguments over the costs of players, at least as a total.

I'm no financial whizzkid but do enjoy having a browse of the figures to see the state of play. Risso will these figures show us what our annual wage bill is now at and what it is in relation to our turnover or do we get that in the summertime?

That's what I'm most interested in really, just to see if this eternal costcutting will ever stop.

• Like 1

The figures will show the turnover and all expenses up to 31 May 2013, so yes the wages to turnover ratio for last year can be calculated.  This year's accounts to 31 May 2014 will be out this time next year.

They will be interesting reading for us fans. Shame we cant get this years half year accounts too so we have an up to date picture

Fear not, young sir, because they will at the very least tell us what has been spent last summer and this January transferwise in the Post Balance Sheet Events note. Which should help put to bed some of the arguments over the costs of players, at least as a total.

Unless we agreed to pay previous years transfers in installments and those costs are still coming out of our accounts. I doubt we stumped all the money up front for Bent, for example, but how many installments and over what period there were is anyone's guess.

Sorry.

Fear not, young sir, because they will at the very least tell us what has been spent last summer and this January transferwise in the Post Balance Sheet Events note. Which should help put to bed some of the arguments over the costs of players, at least as a total.

Unless we agreed to pay previous years transfers in installments and those costs are still coming out of our accounts. I doubt we stumped all the money up front for Bent, for example, but how many installments and over what period there were is anyone's guess.

Sorry.

That's not how accounts work.  The cost is agreed up front, and that is the figure in the accounts.  When the amounts are spread over a certain length of time, that's included in creditors due less than and greater than one year.  The only thing the transfer figure won't contain is any contingent liabilities that haven't yet kicked in.  The PBSE notes states what the club is committed to pay, and the fact that this might be in installments is irrelevant to the information.

Sorry.

Edited by Risso

If I had a pound for every time this issue had come up, about treating payments by instalments in the accounts, I could buy the club.

It's really very simple.  If a player is bought for £1m, that's the cost refelected in the accounts.  That amount might be spread over a certain number of years, but it doesn't affect the cost of the player.  If additional amounts become payable as a result of an uncertain future activity (say, playing 50 games or gaining an international cap) then that doesn't get reflected in the costs initially, and would be reflected as a contingent liability.

• Like 1

Realise that aside made me sound like a Dick there, didn't mean, I am right so there, sorry.

Meant it's something that people will still argue about, sorry.

Does seem like it would somewhat askew the financial figures (as in money actually leaving the club) from year to year. Not as much with Villa, but with some of the bigger spending clubs.

Â