The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I keep seeing 250 Million being quoted in the denial from PF. Is that how much Randy wants for the club?

No mate, it's saying that's how much he has spent on players and the facilities. 

Which is true, but what they aren't saying is how much the club turns over every year to justify that amount. 

I keep seeing 250 Million being quoted in the denial from PF. Is that how much Randy wants for the club?

I don't understand it myself but IanRobo has written this piece which I think is his theory on the 90 Million pounds question, and he concludes that Lerner is after 250 Million. Although it was posted before Nursey's article in the mirror last night.

Does anyone know why we have no youth players coming through? We have one of the best training facilities in the country and have yielded nothing but Championship exports - and then we BUY championship players? This doesn't make any sense to me. Why buy Ashley Westwood when we should be able to make one? Isn't that the idea of a youth team? Mold players to what the club needs? If the comment is RL cutting his costs and is still not selling the club then what are we doing with our development? How can you say that a Crewe player is worth buying over our whole youth team? 
So very confused. 

It doesn't matter how good your training pitch and gym is, it's the scouts and the coaches that make the difference.

• Like 1

Does it seem odd to anyone else about how these figures are being worked out. (All hypothetically of course)

i.e. I've invested 250m on players and facilities therefore that's what I would sell off.

Clearly all investments either depreciate or appreciate over time.

Darren Bent is clearly not now worth what we paid for him, as are a number of other players. Of course some were sold on for more than we paid and the club itself has appreciated in value due to TV deals etc.

But it seems odd that all these depreciations and appreciations would perfectly balance out so he could just say something like I want to claw back my investment.

Does it seem odd to anyone else about how these figures are being worked out. (All hypothetically of course)

i.e. I've invested 250m on players and facilities therefore that's what I would sell off.

Darren Bent is clearly not now worth what we paid for him, as are a number of other players. Of course some were sold on for more than we paid and the club itself has appreciated in value due to TV deals etc.

But it seems odd that all these depreciations and appreciations would perfectly balance out so he could just say something like I want to claw back my investment.

But he hasn't said that, or anything like it.

This stuff about Lerner selling is based on even flimsier evidence than the average Daily Mirror transfer rumour.  He could sell tomorrow, he could be here in ten years time (lord help us).

I don't understand it myself but IanRobo has written this piece which I think is his theory on the 90 Million pounds question, and he concludes that Lerner is after 250 Million. Although it was posted before Nursey's article in the mirror last night.

The last published accounts show the club capitalised at £133m. The recent IanRobo article refers (I think) to a conversion of debt into equity of a further £90m, which would therefore raise the capital to £223m.

So I guess that is where PF gets his valuation from.

But he hasn't said that, or anything like it.

Which is why I said "all hypothetically"

• Like 1

I'm happy with randy if he gives Paul 20-25m plus sales in the summer. When we get rid of bent given Hutton etc we may see a few better calibre players come in as well. He must support Lambert with at least 10m next January. New TV deals would have well and trully taken affect by then. If he cant then he has to go

Lambert should be given a 35 million war chest based on selling Benteke for around 25 mil. Need to shop in the next level  eg the 5 to 10 million buys rather than 2-5 which is such a  gamble.

Which brings me back to the question I have asked three times in the last 24 hours.

What are we debating?

Not sure. It took Al Fayed years to find someone to sell Fulham to, in the meantime he did a fairly decent job of making them competitive in a sustainable way that inevitably helped sell them in the long run. Most likely Randy is making us financially sound 1) because we need to as he can't afford to bankroll us and 2) if somewhere along the line the right buyer comes along, we will be attractive to them. Just finding a billionaire out of the blue is very tough. Edited by sharkyvilla

The last published accounts show the club capitalised at £133m. The recent IanRobo article refers (I think) to a conversion of debt into equity of a further £90m, which would therefore raise the capital to £223m.

So I guess that is where PF gets his valuation from.

Thanks, I think I understand better now.

250 Million is way steep for the average billionaire, whoever comes next they're somewhere right now, I wonder if they have any clue?

Just dropped that Charlie Wyatt who did The Sun article a message on Twitter. He seems to believe we are "definitely" looking to sell despite what Faulkner said. Just needs someone to show him the money.

@CharlieWyett Whats going on with Villa then? Every other press outlet saying we are not for sale, which is opposite to Sun's claims.

they are reacting to claims from ceo who would never publicly admit. Lerner employing a us agency to find a buyer

@CharlieWyett Hope your correct & he finds right buyer. There had been a lot of murmurings that he was looking to sell, so makes sense.#avfc

he definitely is but in no major rush so think club will end up in safe hands

• Like 3

I've always felt that this next summer will be the one where we find out what is the 'plan' for the club. The wage bill will be where we want it and with the new TV deal lots of room for scope. Lerner needs to either back Lambert or sell up. It wouldn't take that much investment in our team to get us pushing for Europe so I hope when HH said it'd be 2/3 quality signings instead of 6/7 squad fillers that is actually the case and not just a line. The club seriously needs to sort out its PR as Lerner and Faulkner don't seem to have a clue how the fans are feeling at times. Most understand we needed to make cuts but what we all want to know is when we start the rebuild. That alone would satisfy most as there would be light at the end of the tunnel. I hope we can get safe early so we can blood the younger players and see if they're good enough and then in the summer buy better quality to try to compete again. This summer it's a massive one for all at Villa.

Just dropped that Charlie Wyatt who did The Sun article a message on Twitter. He seems to believe we are "definitely" looking to sell despite what Faulkner said. Just needs someone to show him the money.

@CharlieWyett Whats going on with Villa then? Every other press outlet saying we are not for sale, which is opposite to Sun's claims.

they are reacting to claims from ceo who would never publicly admit. Lerner employing a us agency to find a buyer

@CharlieWyett Hope your correct & he finds right buyer. There had been a lot of murmurings that he was looking to sell, so makes sense.#avfc

I think Charlie is correct.

:wave: Randy.

I don't know how believable this is, but his claim we will be ending up in 'safe hands' because Lerner takes his time is BS. He takes his time because he wants to find a person that will suit HIS financial needs, not the AVFC.

• Like 1

Â