February Optimism Gauge

maqroll

The real plus for me is that we didn't crumble and we didn't play awful football yesterday - we were undone by one of the best players in the league, twice and had to deal with another bizarre ref. Bennett and El-Ahmadi played badly, Clark made a couple of mistakes but the rest of them, and as a unit, did a good job. It's no easy feat going to Everton and scoring three times. 

I'm glad to see an normal strategy, not a 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 or whatever that was.

KEA wasn't great so I'd put Delph back in for his tenacity, take the yellow card per game as a given.

Also glad to see Nzogbia finally becoming the player we always hoped for. Him and Gabby can help Benteke put real pressure on defences.

Our game is improving, let's bring on WestHam

The real plus for me is that we didn't crumble and we didn't play awful football yesterday - we were undone by one of the best players in the league, twice and had to deal with another bizarre ref. Bennett and El-Ahmadi played badly, Clark made a couple of mistakes but the rest of them, and as a unit, did a good job. It's no easy feat going to Everton and scoring three times. 

Im sorry Clark made more than a couple of mistakes. It was more like ten

Yeah, if you ignored our position in the league and other teams' results then it wasn't a bad result at all.

I'm optimistic and certainly not going along the road of throwing the towel in.

The transfer window is shut and while I am extremely disappointed we didn't bring in more and better quality we have the squad we have and now need to get on with it.

Last 3 league games have shown me that we have a lot of fight left in us and can compete. As David Moyes said yesterday we have some fantastic attacking players that will give us every chance of getting out of trouble. We need to stick with 4-3-3, hope that our crucial players stay fit and in games keep playing on the front foot as going forward we can cause any team problems.

I am confident we can stay up and I'd like to think the fans will really get behind the team in the remaining games. Its time to put the indifference some of us feel towards Lerner, Lambert and some of the players on the back burner.

Few fans are more passionate than our lot and a full Villa Park right behind the players could make a big difference in the remaining home games.Our much larger support is an advantage we have over QPR, Reading, Southampton and Wigan so lets make it count and get right behind the players in the remaining games.

Edited by markavfc40

Reasons to be Cheerful:-

Lamberts teams have a habit of finishing strongly

We seem to have a position for Zog

We have scored some sublime goals for relegation candidates, (Bentekke V WBA , and his 2nd yesterday)

We all expect nothing from our team - so the disappointment  is less ! 

I will get more optimistic when we secure our first 3 pointer. That better be against west ham or I don`t know what to think. Sometimes when I look at our team and how we play I think this is not a team that should be relegated. Then 5 minutes later it is the complete opposite. 

Even if the team play well as they did yesyerday, we still have to put up with Lambert doing silly things like Subbing Gabby for a fullback with 2 minutes to go.If he is going to defend a lead then the defender needs to come on well before 2 minutes from time.

Reasons to be Cheerful:-

Lamberts teams have a habit of finishing strongly

People keep saying this but are there any stats to back it up?

As I mentioned recently,  it didn't happen last season.

Do they?

i can't be bothered to do a full check but, just glancing at last season, Norwich had 32 points after 24 games ( 8 wins, draws and defeats each) and in the final 14 picked up 15 points (W4 D3 L7, scoring 18 and conceding 27) and slipped from 9th to 12th.

So they declined from

First 24 games - 1.33 points per game  to

Last 14 games -  1.07 points per game.

As I also mentioned, I can't be bothered to dig back further into the records but presumably those who keep confidently asserting this have done so?  :unsure:

I write this alone on my bed
I've poisoned every room in the house
The place is quiet and so alone
Pretend there's something worth waiting for

There's nothing nice in my head
The adult world took it all away
I wake up with same spit in my mouth
I cannot tell if it is real or not

I try and walk in a straight line
An imitation of dignity
From despair to where
From despair to where