Yacouba Sylla

darrenm

That shows nicely how Delph is pretty much everywhere and evenly distributed. He's a machine :) Interesting to see Sylla playing there too.

Last night he was on another level to what I have seen of him before. He's got the odd rough edge, but against Sunderland he showed so many positives—hassling, tackling, retaining possession, getting into space, some tidy passes—his best game for Villa 100% and he was a big part of a dynamic midfield performance, I think. All three had great games. Sylla's adapted well, if he keeps playing like that and keeps improving he'll show how he is another astute buy. 

Edited by praisedmambo

Pretty much anytime that Sunderland won possession he was putting pressure on however had it. Makes us much less vulnerable on the counter to have a 3 man center mid, and it helps out the full backs.

At the end of the day though Makelele harried players, broke up the play and laid an easy pass to a team mate, Sylla is doing these things albeit in a more box to box style when compared to C.M. and further up the pitch. I would say he's doing a similar job just higher up the pitch.

Those heatmaps also show that the midfield gives more protection to Lowton than Bennett

Possibly, the fact Lowton had more touches than anyone else would also draw the midfielders too him.

Those heatmaps also show that the midfield gives more protection to Lowton than Bennett

I thought this last night.

When we didn't have the ball, Sylla was basically playing as a right hand side midfielder, giving plenty of protection to Lowton. Bennet didn't quite get the same protection from Delph and was left a little exposed at times.

When we didn't have the ball, Sylla was basically playing as a right hand side midfielder, giving plenty of protection to Lowton. Bennet didn't quite get the same protection from Delph and was left a little exposed at times.

Bennett has Gabby giving him support. I think that's where the balance is supposed to be.

Bennett has Gabby giving him support. I think that's where the balance is supposed to be.

True but then Lowton has Sylla & Weimann, but in terms of the midfield its still heavily weighted on the right.

The way I saw it last night (all be it from a lowly position on the by-line), was that when we didn't have possession, Delph would cover the left wing and Sylla the right. Gabby and Weimann were then able to stay a bit further forward.

The way I saw it last night (all be it from a lowly position on the by-line), was that when we didn't have possession, Delph would cover the left wing and Sylla the right. Gabby and Weimann were then able to stay a bit further forward.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Once we went a man up as well, Delph looked to almost move to LB with JB playing almost as a winger, iirc.

What I like about Sylla is he does'nt seem overawed by the step up to PL. I expected most of the football to pass him by, but he gets stuck in for everything he can. OK, he's prone to the odd mistimed tackle or wayward pass, but another 12mths in this team and he'll be a totally different animal.

I don't know what to make of this guy.. In the first half he was destroying every bit of momentum we had in each attack, then in the second half he was destroying every Sunderland player that came near him. I get the feeling that he's more of an athlete than a footballer, but I won't judge properly until next season

Edited by villarule123

He made a couple of cracking back heels to Lowton, which enabled Lowton to carry the ball right into the heart of the sunderland defence. 

I think off the ball, when we were attacking he was absolutely superb, making runs and space for others.

God help Sunderland if their midfielders got it though, took him about 2 seconds to get into them.

Honestly, last night, everyone performed at 9's/10's it was the best team performance since Blackburn CC semi final 2nd leg/Ajax home.

I'm running out of things to say :lol: just magnificent from the moment we conceded the goal. 

I think he's looked nervous so far, usually passing backwards rather than taking a risk as he didn't want to lose the ball. 

Makelele made a career out of that.

Indeed, and I've no problem with keeping the ball (unlike some who shout 'forwards', or 'this way' every time we playing it sideways to keep possession...grrr...), but you can see he wants to go forwards, but lacked a bit of confidence in the first half, which is understandable with the jump he made in the middle of the season. Once we were more comfortable though, he really shone. Lambert certainly has an eye for potential.

Lowton gets forward more often than Bennett too which means they'd spend more time covering the right side anyway.

Â