Yacouba Sylla

darrenm

Might be a bit narrow though. You don't have permanent wingers in that system so the temptation will just be to play narrow. And remember this was the formation PL tried at the start of last season, which didn't work.

I think KEA has some really good movement in his play which creates space for himself and others, but only really goes for the short, quick pass. Alongside Delph who drives forwards we could have some good play through the centre of the park.

A solid footprint in the middle of the pitch will only increase possession, and take pressure off the back 4. I also think Lowton and Luna can provide good width in this setup too.

If not going to plan we then have the option to bring another attacker on, but I think possession and craft are more I important to beat teams when playing at home.

Might be a bit narrow though. You don't have permanent wingers in that system so the temptation will just be to play narrow. And remember this was the formation PL tried at the start of last season, which didn't work.

Out of our three strikers, Benteke was the one who was out wide the most today. We have no permanent wingers with our 4-3-3 system since all three players are out and out strikers bar Gabby who can play as a winger if needed.

Gabby and Weimann didn't get give us any width today in terms of attacking or defending, which left both Lowton and Luna trying to do so without any cover. I do think that both players are usually good at getting back to help their fellow wide men but today they didn't see up to it.

Any form of wing play or crossing will nearly always come from our fullbacks and they need to be covered, more so when we're at home and teams sit back hoping to hit us on the break.

I think this is where Sylla is vital, as our most defensively minded midfielder he is the one who in theory should be able to provide cover for our fullbacks.

I also think Westwood is a better passer of the ball than KEA, I would replace KEA with Sylla.

Edited by samjp26

Out of our three strikers, Benteke was the one who was out wide the most today. We have no permanent wingers with our 4-3-3 system since all three players are out and out strikers bar Gabby who can play as a winger if needed.

Gabby and Weimann didn't get give us any width today in terms of attacking or defending, which left both Lowton and Luna trying to do so without any cover. I do think that both players are usually good at getting back to help their fellow wide men but today they didn't see up to it.

Any form of wing play or crossing will nearly always come from our fullbacks and they need to be covered, more so when we're at home and teams sit back hoping to hit us on the break.

I think this is where Sylla is vital, as our most defensively minded midfielder he is the one who in theory should be able to provide cover for our fullbacks.

I also think Westwood is a better passer of the ball than KEA, I would replace KEA with Sylla.

I agree but think KEA offers more in terms of possession play than Andi at the moment. Gives us the option to bring Weimann off the bench for KEA too.

Delph has been our best player in the 5 games so no question of dropping him.

I love Westwood to bits but today was a poor game for him, if his passing isn't up to his usual mark then he doesn't offer a lot else.

KEA played very well at Arsenal and Chelsea and was lively when he came on against Liverpool. Maybe a case of starting him away but keeping him out for home games.

I like Sylla and think he'll start at Norwich, I think there's a case for the Man. City game of taking Weimann out and bringing him in which hopefully will make it more difficult for the away team to walk through us.

The big concern though is our midfield scores no goals and offers very little creativity for the strikers. Why oh why doesn't Lambert sign an AM from somewhere, it would make things so much easier and he did have 7m to play with. It's particularly annoying me as we have a world class striker playing for us now and he won't be here much longer.

I agree but think KEA offers more in terms of possession play than Andi at the moment. Gives us the option to bring Weimann off the bench for KEA too.

I agree and I certainly wouldn't play a 4-3-3 at home personally, I think a 4-1-2-1-2 could work or a 4-1-3-2:

..............Guzan..............

Lowton Okore Vlaar Luna

..............Sylla..............

.....Westwood Delph.....

..............Gabby..............

........Benteke Kozak.......

or

Lowton Okore Vlaar Luna

KEA Westwood Delph

..............Gabby............

.............Benteke............

Roughly, sorry for the crappy fullstop formation method. We played Sylla in an anchoring role during pre-season and he seemed to suit it well so I have no idea why Lambert has gone back on it.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

I agree and I certainly wouldn't play a 4-3-3 at home personally, I think a 4-1-2-1-2 could work or a 4-1-3-2:

Lowton Okore Vlaar Luna

.....Westwood Delph.....

..............Gabby..............

........Benteke Kozak.......

• Like 1

Think he was injured for the Arsenal game, KEA came in and looked good and he has been on the bench ever since. We desperately need him back though. The only player in our squad that can occupy the DM role.

He an occupy that dm role, but for me never played that last yr, he was played higher up to press the opposition and gain possession higher up the field.

It's often said the player on the bench is always better than the one on the pitch...but I think leaving Sylla out has weakened the opportunity of reversing the 2 home defeats.

We had a Delph/Sylla/Westwood line up in midfield that looked as good as it could be and we got results

Just like the reo Coker/Petrov/Sidwell..when we beat LIverpool away 3-1and then immediately changed it.

Both line ups ain't great....but when you get results, why change it?....don't get some of these managers.

Edited by TRO

Think he was injured for the Arsenal game, KEA came in and looked good and he has been on the bench ever since. We desperately need him back though. The only player in our squad that can occupy the DM role.

He an occupy that dm role, but for me never played that last yr, he was played higher up to press the opposition and gain possession higher up the field.

That is correct but he was primarily used as a DM in pre-season which hopefully means that's how Lambert will play him from now on.

Quite a funny argument which I can't help but feel it's based on the back of thus one performance because other than that KEA has been pretty good in truth. Near enough everyone was poor yesterday excluding Delph. We had spells but Delph seemed to be on the ball for the full 90mins and looked really good. Benteke didn't even hold the ball up too well yesterday.

Guess we just have to consider it an off day and remain positive. It was bloody shocking how bad we were in parts but still. I'm all for Sylla coming in though. But it is funny that the "why didn't he play him" questions are being asked. Hindsight is a beautiful thing. That and KEA had actually played really well this season.

• Like 1

Sylla impressed the life out of me last season, so what has he to do to get a start...or even game time? He's tenacious, good in the tackle and direct, which is basically what our midfield was'nt yesterday. Delph is the same kind of player and he was the only one that gave Newcastle cause for concern, yet Lambert persisted with KEA and Westood, who so obviously had other agendas.

Sylla back now...please.

Â