Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I had a couple of fairly lengthy debates with a couple of members on here during this season, around February time. I tried, as did many others to highlight that under Lambert we are trying to play progressive football and lay the foundations for future success. Something I didn't feel the people who were heavily critical of Lambert grasped. 

The style and manner of the football we are trying to play is more successful at moving clubs forward without a glass ceiling as such, swapping from GH to Eck then to this brand of football is tough, but considering the players we had and the off field issues its not wonder we took a few batterings along the way. I admired Lambert as a coach at Norwich and he was my first choice to take over and I have to say we had a really tough season, we some very low lows, but I think he has done a very good job. Im not just looking at the points tally, where we finished but he has changed the whole culture of the club, we went from finishing 6th, challenging for 4th up until march to becoming a laughing stock, people thought nothing of us. Where as now people and sections of the media are starting to recognise our improvement and the direction in which we are heading. 

I dont think many coaches could of come in, and turned us around in the manner of which he has. Im not saying he is faultless, but we have one heck of a manager on our hands and im glad my belief in him is starting to be recognised by the masses.

He has rejuvenated this club, lifted the fans, shifted the deadwood and has started to give us an identity again.

So happy we didnt fire him when things were tough, I just hope we can hold onto him for 3 or 4 seasons and see where he can take us. Not expecting miracles but I feel under him each season we will see improvement.

Asked this in another thread where BOF said that Lambert wanted a number ten. Anybody got a source? It's a subject I'd like to read his thoughts on...

Howdy. I was repeating what I had heard someone else on here saying. I don't have a source but I believe that they did.

Asked this in another thread where BOF said that Lambert wanted a number ten. Anybody got a source? It's a subject I'd like to read his thoughts on...

Howdy. I was repeating what I had heard someone else on here saying. I don't have a source but I believe that they did.

James Nursey said it. 

• 2 weeks later...

main positive I see from Benteke leaving is it could free up more funds for Lambert to buy players and he is the 1st manager I would trust with an eye for players since O'Leary

• Like 2

I am a huge admirer of what Paul Lambert is trying to achieve at Aston Villa: charged with improving results on the pitch, and reducing the wage bill off it, he put a plan in place and it is working. Young, hungry players came in, and after a series of harsh lessons dished out by Chelsea, Southampton, Man City and Spurs they started to turn things around and pulled away from danger with some terrific football.

One of those players is striker Christian Benteke: signed at the age of just 21 for £7m from Genk, he is one of the golden generation of Belgian players expected to be major players at the World Cup next year.

It’s a great spot from Lambert: Benteke had a fantastic first season in England and at times was unplayable. The front three of Weimann and Agbonlahor either side of the Belgian look all set to cause havoc next season – if they stay together. Weimann signed a contract this summer, but Benteke has asked for a transfer.

With three years left on his current contract, there is no pressure to sell, but a sizeable bid might be hard for Villa to turn down.

Fans can be sure Lambert has done his homework and will have a replacement lined up. But that delays the long-term recovery process on the field: a headache for Villa.

For Benteke if he is to leave he needs to be careful where he goes: Romelu Lukaku and Dries Mertens would happily stake their claim as regulars for the national team in time for Brazil 2014 if Benteke makes a bad decision. Staying at Villa might be the best thing for Benteke, if he wants games and goals.

Truth is, Paul Lambert has been too good at his job.

Don't like Durham but speaks sense here.

http://tinyurl.com/mv2th38

• Like 1

Really level headed round up of going on's at the club right now. You can speculate till the cows come home but those above are the facts we have as to our position and overall it's extremely promising and i'm delighted to have a progressive thinking manager who is looking to build towards long term, sustainable, success. Exciting times around VP!!

It just seems that he has brought an air of stability to the club. Even with the impending departure of our best player, most are staying calm and somewhat positive, and that speaks volumes for the man at the helm. I'm sure as hell glad we have him, because I know in any deals we won't be taken to the cleaners by pricks like Daniel Levy, because Lambert simply won't be having it. 

• Like 1

If there's one thing O'Leary got right, it's that we're fickle ;)

Me included. I was slamming Lambert after Bradford. I'm just glad Lerner had more sense than a lot of us and stuck with this man.

• Like 1

I hope Lambert will be our Moyes and be at the club for the next decade.  The football is great to watch, when things were not going so well he appeared calm, and has a good eye for players in my opinion. I really believe we can move forward with him at the helm.

The good thing is that this Benteke saga has united us Villa fans and i hope it has with the dressing room as well.  As Durham pointed out this really has only highlighted how good Lambert has been in the transfer market and as a manager all round, and if anything we'll come out of this better in regards to media due to how we will conduct ourselves in relation to media transfer of CB and his replacement

The good thing is that this Benteke saga has united us Villa fans 

You sure about that ?   :crylaugh:

How hasnt it though? the majority of the posts on here have been positive have they not?

I hope Lambert will be our Moyes and be at the club for the next decade. The football is great to watch, when things were not going so well he appeared calm, and has a good eye for players in my opinion. I really believe we can move forward with him at the helm.

Part of that isn't true, in my opinion. He looked completely lost for a good few weeks post Christmas. We couldn't but a win from anywhere, everything went against us. He looked old, war torn. I thought he might throw it in.

But I'm thankful he didn't. He's doing a magnificent job right now, long may it continue.

What doesnt Kill us and all that

I hope Lambert will be our Moyes and be at the club for the next decade. The football is great to watch, when things were not going so well he appeared calm, and has a good eye for players in my opinion. I really believe we can move forward with him at the helm.

Part of that isn't true, in my opinion. He looked completely lost for a good few weeks post Christmas. We couldn't but a win from anywhere, everything went against us. He looked old, war torn. I thought he might throw it in.

But I'm thankful he didn't. He's doing a magnificent job right now, long may it continue.

Interesting how body language can be interpreted differently..one thing we agree on though..in Lambert we trust. He wasn't my first choice but I really do have faith in him.

To bring it back from the brink the way he did was one of the greatest comebacks in PL history. We were utterly shocking over that Christmas period with zero confidence, zero experience, and zero prospect of bringing in anyone to rescue us.

I know I'm conveniently ignoring the fact that it was PL that got us into that position, but to get us back out of it again without going down the Redknapp route in the transfer window was very very special in my opinion.

Edited by El-Reacho