Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Never had a chance the way we were set-up tonight

we actually had a very good chance just before they scored the 2nd goal but your right we should of tried to sit back and defend all night

Lambert must be dumb as shit to think we have a team that can go to Old Trafford and go toe-to-toe with them. Every side but 2 or 3 in the league goes there with an extra man in the middle of midfield. Saying I wanted to defend all night is bollocks, a front 3 of Gabby, Weimann and Benteke will create chances against any side, we would still have seven other outfield players who can concentrate on keeping it tight in midfield and at the back.

fair enough. I agree that an extra body in midfield would of helped especially instead of insomnia. if we didnt concede so early then we could of maybe got the lead and hit them on the counter which imo was our best chance of getting something tonight. the early goal killed our gameplan

He's improved us in that we look better going forward and play football a bit nicer.

He's also made us much easier to beat and created the worst defence I've ever seen at the club.

We need a proper defensive coach in the staff at Villa. Might just be possible in football manager though?

We need a proper defensive coach in the staff at Villa. Might just be possible in football manager though?

You can have however many coaches you want I think, Maradona had a huge coaching staff at the last World Cup.

Here's my suggestion for the job.

paul-mcgrath22-290x160.jpg

Edited by 8pints

We need a proper defensive coach in the staff at Villa.

Ive been thinking that for a while. Though buying defenders that can actually defend would be a start.

That's the first thing we need to do.

Not replacing a poor defence with an even worse one.

When I saw the line up, I was quite excited that we would be having a go but in equal measure knew we would lose the midfield.It was a bit daft to go there that gung ho. KEA or Sylla should have started. I get what Lambert wanted to do but it didn't help that United were totally on it.

What did frustrate me was with 10 minutes to go, or even earlier, we were never going to win or get a draw. It was totally pointless to take Bennett off at this point. Benteke and Weimann/Westwood should have been subbed off, it was stupid risking an injury with 4 of the most important games the club has had coming up. Fortunately there was no injury.

As long as we win next Monday I really am not too bothered about this defeat but the naivety in the line-up and the subs is niggling. 

He's improved us in that we look better going forward and play football a bit nicer.

He's also made us much easier to beat and created the worst defence I've ever seen at the club.

This!

The midfield is a total shower of shit too.

We have a decent front 3 and a decent keeper. The 7 in between are crap.

Very harsh on Lowton.

Very harsh on Delph.

Very harsh on Large Ron

In fact, a harsh analysis in general. WE are a bit porous at the back, and part of that comes from having a dearth of experience there. Also, we need to invest in a quality CM player. Sadly, Hamady really hasn't been up to it. That's been a big whole that we haven't filled.

Reading (65) Mallorca (64) Deportivo (64) Pescara (67)

Those are the only teams in the major leagues (Italy, Spain, France, Germany, England) with a worse defensive record than us 

Edit: Yeah, yeah i know can't compare leagues, diffrent opponents and not the exact same number of games played. But it's still proof on just how awful our defence as a team has been 

Edited by sne

Edit: Yeah, yeah i know can't compare leagues, diffrent opponents and not the exact same number of games played. But it's still proof on just how awful our defence as a team has been 

No it isn't proof of anything for the reasons you explain above.

Unless you are comparing like with like your "stats" mean **** all.

Uuurrgghh... Lambert Lambert Lambert. Again, so tactically stupid. Why play with such a high line? Surely we would have been better off soaking up pressure from deep and hitting on the counter? Why give Rooney sooooooooooooooooo much time on the ball every time he got it. I really want to like Lambert, but his tactics are **** useless.... he has no idea what he's doing. He just changes things when it's going wrong. I weren't expecting anything from the game yesterday, but to concede 3 in 30minutes was a bit pathetic. 

Not a big fan of the Golden Shoe or Ballon d'or i guess?

Ok how about worst defence in club PL history and with 63 conceded with 4 games to go and only Reading are worse in the league.

Or let's say it's an indicator on just how awful our defence as a team has been 

Ok how about worst defence in club PL history and with 63 conceded with 4 games to go and only Reading are worse in the league.

Thats fine. See, you can do it when you try. (and no - not particularly for the reasons you state)  

We haven't defended well no - but I don't think this is a reflection on Lambert per se, Vlaar aside, our defence has barely started shaving. I'd  hazard a guess at them being by far the youngest and least experienced (in terms of PL games played) in the league. They're kids. They will make mistakes. They have now had a solid season of experience and have got better as the season has gone on.

Moaning about the defence after losing 3-0 to the champions with a couple of dodgy offsides and an absolute wondergoal seems to me to be the wrong time to do it. We are not the club that got hammered by Chelsea. They have come along leaps and bounds, and whilst there is room for improvement they aren't as terrible as you, or the figures suggest.

As a team, absolutely. We've been dire defenisively.

I'm not surprised but why do people come on here and moan about his tactics after a loss against united? Seriously? What did people expect? My guess is that 3-0 was probably the result with the lowest odds of all results. We played away to the coming league champions who could secure the title at home in front of their plastic supporters. Of course they'de be fired up. 3-0 wasn't the worst result we could've got, but probably the best. They're by far the best team in the league, we're fighting for for our existence in this league. There's an ocean between us, and that's not just Lamberts fault. They've been at the top for 20 years now. We haven't.

• Like 1

Isn't culverhouse or should I say wasn't culverhouse a top defender in his day??

Not really going to slate him for last nights game, it was exactly as it said on the tin champions vs relegation candidates - make no mistake go all guns blazing or sit back and try and nick it we would have lost, they are a far superior team.

I try to look at the positives - we played some very nice neat attacking football in patches, we grouped together as a unit and didn't conceed in the second half. That was important as we need the togetherness for the last run in.

Thought we were unlucky not to nick a few goals last night.

Edited by villan_007

for people who think we should have defensive. we did it last season with more experienced team and lost 4-0 so doubt would have worked.

Interesting we only had 5 players from that game involved today with Clark and only getting a few minutes

• 01 Given
  • 02 Hutton Booked
  • 06 Collins
  • 21 Clark (Heskey - 64' )
  • 30 Lichaj
  • 32 Baker
  • 07 Ireland (Carruthers - 75' )
  • 25 Bannan Booked
  • 38 Gardner Booked
  • 11 Agbonlahor
  • 26 Weimann (N'Zogbia - 83' )