Paul Lambert

Pilchard

His comments this weekend are just ridiculous.

What were they?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21804843

"Paul Lambert not contemplating Aston Villa relegation"

What would you like  him to say? We're shitting it that we'll go down? Obviously behind the scenes he'll very much have been contemplating it, but he's not going to pile even more pressure on the players by talking about that in the media. He's done nothing wrong there at all IMO

• Like 1

Very good call to bring N'Zogbia on for Sylla. We were bossing the midfield and after that switch lost a bit of steel in that area, but it's what the attack needed in the final 3rd and it helped create the vital goal. :thumb:  And boy could you see his delight today in the goal celebrations, love it!

"I think if you look at some of the teams that have done it, my old club [borussia] Dortmund are probably the prime example. They had a clear plan".

"I was at Dortmund at a time when they had world class players and then the club lost its way a little bit and then came back."

"They had a plan to do what they're doing, and a few years later they're not too far away from having more massive success".

"Could that happen at Villa? If you get time to build it, that's the plan."

I wonder if he will feel the same when we roll over and sell Benteke in the summer

Remember we are building for the future after all

That's the way to do it, Paul. I'm glad someone has finally come out and clearly stated what our transfer policy is. I'm fully behind it.

He made the right calls today.

1st half performance showed exactly the sort of shite that Lambert has been dishing up all year. Interesting that Gabby and Andi both were shouting at the midfield and defence to play the ball in behind the defence rather than that shit tippy tappy sideways crap that Lambert had them playing. The fact that until Gabby scored we had not even worked their GK showed how the tactics were all wrong (again). Lambert should insist that Guzan is paid his weight in gold after his performance in keeping us in the game.

I just wonder how much the players influenced the second half tactics because they were nothing like the first half stuff that Lambert dished up.

Very happy we won and very happy with some performances. Still nowhere near convinced that Lambert is anything more than a very poor manager with very few ideas

1st half performance showed exactly the sort of shite that Lambert has been dishing up all year. Interesting that Gabby and Andi both were shouting at the midfield and defence to play the ball in behind the defence rather than that shit tippy tappy sideways crap that Lambert had them playing. The fact that until Gabby scored we had not even worked their GK showed how the tactics were all wrong (again). Lambert should insist that Guzan is paid his weight in gold after his performance in keeping us in the game. I just wonder how much the players influenced the second half tactics because they were nothing like the first half stuff that Lambert dished up. Very happy we won and very happy with some performances. Still nowhere near convinced that Lambert is anything more than a very poor manager with very few ideas

Tippy tappy stuff won us the game at Readimg and frankly I saw no problem with it today. IMO despite our poor position last two games have offered a glimmer of light and some of the best passing we have seen from a Villa team in years. As was proven. In Jan/Feb we suffer when we play a more direct game.

• Like 1

Agreed. At times the lack of cutting edge was embarassing and we just seemed to pass the ball around without any cohesive plan. It was like anyone was scared to make a forward run.

When we started playing more direct it opened QPR up to the inevitable. Its good to see there is at least a plan B.

Edited by R.I.C.O.

I dont think this passing style works well with our front 3. Benteke, Agbonlahor and Weimann are not players you want passing the ball around like they play for Barcelona. Those 3 are quick and can take on defenders. I think a much more direct approach would work out better. All that possession in the first half got us no where. It was until we started going at them that we saw results. 

I pretty much agree with the last two comments. A major problem is Benteke and Gabby both keep wanting the ball to feet. Weimann is prepared to make runs off the ball but I don't see it enough from the other two. I don't think you can blame the midfield for 'tippy-tappy' football, where are they meant to pass the ball? We couldn't even hit Benteke's head today because he was dominated by Samba. The full-backs don't want to (or are told not to) get caught too far forward. The midfield ends up passing the ball between themselves because of the lack of options. 

We looked very good in the second half especially when the game got stretched but Lambert really needs to try and learn lessons from the first half. Listen to his interview though and he says "I thought we started the game really well, the first twenty minutes". It really doesn't fill me with confidence when Lambert doesn't seem to recognise what has gone on during the game. 

I pretty much agree with the last two comments. A major problem is Benteke and Gabby both keep wanting the ball to feet. Weimann is prepared to make runs off the ball but I don't see it enough from the other two. I don't think you can blame the midfield for 'tippy-tappy' football, where are they meant to pass the ball? We couldn't even hit Benteke's head today because he was dominated by Samba. The full-backs don't want to (or are told not to) get caught too far forward. The midfield ends up passing the ball between themselves because of the lack of options. 

We looked very good in the second half especially when the game got stretched but Lambert really needs to try and learn lessons from the first half. Listen to his interview though and he says "I thought we started the game really well, the first twenty minutes". It really doesn't fill me with confidence when Lambert doesn't seem to recognise what has gone on during the game. 

Apparently you, me and the other two comments are on another planet with views like this

Lambert's tactics in the first half served up some of the most ineffective football we have seen. As many people have said from Ian Taylor to Lineker, to the commentators on Sky just basically we offered nothing whatsoever in terms of attacks and if not for Guzan could have and probably should have been losing by a margin bigger than we could have recovered from

It seems still though that any questioning of Lambert is met by abuse from his "supporters"

Glad that Paul is beginning to prove how sensible it is to keep the faith and not the knee jerk response screamed for by a section of the fanbase!

Edited by Richard
  • Like 1