Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Any manager worth his salt with the squad presented at the start of the season plus £20m should have Villa sitting outside the relegation zone.

Yes amazing squad wasnt it that he inherited?

They had won so much before he rocked up.

Any manager worth his salt with the squad presented at the start of the season plus £20m should have Villa sitting outside the relegation zone.

The quality of the squad is one thing - it's certainly not top 4 material, that is for sure.

The quality of performances is another. Our team selections, transfer targets, formations, tactics, and even substitutions have (for the most part) been sub-standard - and all of them are due to the manager.

If we had picked up just the points we have dropped in the last 10 minutes of games this season, we would be clear of relegation.

Sorted.

"If we keep playing like that we'll win more than not" - the new version of "we go again", I think.

No idea what he tat means - we will win 6 out of the last 10?

Briny, I don't know where you got the above from mate but I read those same comments after the Arsenal game. I find it very strange to say "we'll win more than not". Would indicate 13 league wins in a season playing that way and that seems miles away for our bunch, even playing the way we did against Arsenal.

Another thing he said came across a bit strange. On the OS, I read that he thought Delph was playing "really, really, really well". I mean, he's been vastly improved of late and been one of our better performers but that is overdoing it a bit with praise IMO.

I remember the vast majority of people saying that they would at least give him a season before judging him - doesn't seem to have panned out that way.

I said myself if we stayed up, and had one good cup run (which we did, despite the manner of our exit) then that would be a good job done this season. And I'm going to wait and stand by that until the season finishes. I'm still worried, but I'm still hopeful.

• Like 1

still rate him as a manager, but no where near as highly as I did when he was at Norwich. I think a lot of managers would be in the same position he is in as it stands, but he was the right appointment at the time in my opinion and i don't think we should sack managers mid-season, so on that basis right man for the job for me right now, just time to watch these next 2 games and hope against hope that the players are determined and talented enough to soldier through them

His formations, treatment of our senior players, transfer targets, performances (especially in the final 10 minutes) and first team selections - not to mention his results! - are cause for great concern. He has not lived up to his reputation and, imo, is not deserving of the leeway given to him by many fans that previous managers simply did not enjoy.

The deflection away from the football being served up and onto the board (particularly Lerner) is quite laughable. Lerner has played his part, certainly, but none of the things mentioned in my opening paragraph have anything to do with him.

That said, Lambert deserves time. If he is to be the manager to change our style of football (something he is trying to do) and build a squad for the future, he should be given the chance to bring it to fruition.

The trouble with Lambert's idear of building a team for the future is that he should take care of the present first !

also I can not understand his attitude of not playing any of the older players ? even to help the younger ones a bit.FFS ManUre still play Giggs and look where they are ? a million miles above us.

Agree.

The changes were too much, too quickly. Though a lot of the changes were out of Lambert's hands; Petrov & Dunne being the main examples.

And who is our Ryan Giggs? Come on, polarised jingoism of the highest order there. Giggs is a museum piece - an affordable luxury in a Club brimming full of riches that help make his game quite easy. Put Giggs into our team and it would kill him. Our older players are either ill or were deemed crap/unworthy last season. And so they remain.

His formations, treatment of our senior players, transfer targets, performances (especially in the final 10 minutes) and first team selections - not to mention his results! - are cause for great concern. He has not lived up to his reputation and, imo, is not deserving of the leeway given to him by many fans that previous managers simply did not enjoy.

The deflection away from the football being served up and onto the board (particularly Lerner) is quite laughable. Lerner has played his part, certainly, but none of the things mentioned in my opening paragraph have anything to do with him.

That said, Lambert deserves time. If he is to be the manager to change our style of football (something he is trying to do) and build a squad for the future, he should be given the chance to bring it to fruition.

The trouble with Lambert's idear of building a team for the future is that he should take care of the present first !

also I can not understand his attitude of not playing any of the older players ? even to help the younger ones a bit.FFS ManUre still play Giggs and look where they are ? a million miles above us.

Agree.

The changes were too much, too quickly. Though a lot of the changes were out of Lambert's hands; Petrov & Dunne being the main examples.

And who is our Ryan Giggs? Come on, polarised jingoism of the highest order there. Giggs is a museum piece - an affordable luxury in a Club brimming full of riches that help make his game quite easy. Put Giggs into our team and it would kill him. Our older players are either ill or were deemed crap/unworthy last season. And so they remain.

No one is saying that we have a Giggs, the point is that there were too many changes over this summer, with too many younger players being thrown into the side at once. Young players need to be slowly introduced alongside more experienced players who they can learn off.

Perhaps we should have kept Collins or Cuellar in the squad, rather than going into the season with just 1 senior centre back.

It's unfortunate that we lost Petrov, but we knew that he wouldn't be around at the tail end of last season. He should have been replaced with another experienced Premier League midfielder, rather than a youngster and foreigner with no PL experience.

I'm all for bringing youngsters through, but they need to be supported by more experienced players; We currently have 1 senior centre back who is currently injured and no experienced central midfielders. Keeping Collins and bringing in someone like (just an example, all be it an unfeasible one) Darren Fletcher would have made a massive difference to our season.

OK,  I'll correct you.  You are wrong it is not based on that. 

I spoke to him way after he became our manager and way after I wanted him here because I though he was a good manager.  So to say that is rubbish Mantis,  and basically just highlights people not reading things or just believing what they want.

He had a good record before coming here so it's not surprising that you wanted him here (it is odd how you knew he was coming though). However, things have certainly not panned out as we hoped so what it is it that makes you so supportive of him now?

I knew a few things last summer Mantis,  and assumed one or two others based on something that was said.  What I knew panned out,  what I assumed did not and it is to my discredit I believed it.

As to how things have panned out this season,  well I hoped we would stay up and as the season is not yet over it would be wrong for us to say it is not how we would have hoped at this stage.

As to why I am still supportive of him well I believe he is the right type of manager for us,  he is one with a long term plan and vision on how to build a team with limited support from the owner.  He has a knack at spotting talent and I believe all of the players he has signed for us will go on to do well for us and at least make a profit on the money we paid for them,  I actually believe the sale of Benteke this summer will return all of the transfer fees he has spent so far.  I believe the constant changing of managerial team and strategy has contributed to our problems in the last three years and to do so again now or even in the summer would be utter madness.  I believe at our level he is the best,  in fact better,  than we could hope to attract as manager and we have to stick with him and his plan.

• Like 2

Agree.

No one is saying that we have a Giggs, the point is that there were too many changes over this summer, with too many younger players being thrown into the side at once. Young players need to be slowly introduced alongside more experienced players who they can learn off.

Perhaps we should have kept Collins or Cuellar in the squad, rather than going into the season with just 1 senior centre back.

It's unfortunate that we lost Petrov, but we knew that he wouldn't be around at the tail end of last season. He should have been replaced with another experienced Premier League midfielder, rather than a youngster and foreigner with no PL experience.

I'm all for bringing youngsters through, but they need to be supported by more experienced players; We currently have 1 senior centre back who is currently injured and no experienced central midfielders. Keeping Collins and bringing in someone like (just an example, all be it an unfeasible one) Darren Fletcher would have made a massive difference to our season.

I agree again 110%.We had Robbie Earle and Shaka Hislop on TV here and they both said that we had too many young players and no older heads to teach them.As I said before, there is nothing wrong with building for the future but you must take care of the present first ?!

Trouble is our 'older heads' are by and large a bunch of muppets aren't they? Would you really want to take career advice from the likes of Warnock, Ireland or Hutton?

Our only real natural leader is Petrov, who has obviously had bigger battles this season.

And? What a silly response. I never said the squad was amazing and nor was it but the with the squad he had plus £20m we should be staying up. And I also didnt realise that teams need to have won something to stand any chance of staying up.

I dont understand why people choose to ignore the poor job he has done just because the board are cutting back therefore there is no way anyone could do a good job. Its complete rubbish.

We are only just in the relegation zone, its likely that had Lambert not stuck with his 3/5 at the back we wouldnt be in it. That is just one of the things he has got wrong, something that was clear to everyone yet he kept doing it.

Edited by Houlston

And? What a silly response. I never said the squad was amazing and nor was it but the with the squad he had plus £20m we should be staying up. And I also didnt realise that teams need to have won something to stand any chance of staying up.

I dont understand why people choose to ignore the poor job he has done just because the board are cutting back therefore there is no way anyone could do a good job. Its complete rubbish.

We are only just in the relegation zone, its likely that had Lambert not stuck with his 3/5 at the back we wouldnt be in it. That is just one of the things he has got wrong, something that was clear to everyone yet he kept doing it.

Who said anything about just winning trophies? 

I have not ignored the poor job he has done. I just dont agree that the squad plus 20m is anywhere near immune to relegation. 

He keeps doing it because he is a stubbon sod.He is determined to have the youngest team in the PL even if we have to get relegated to achieve it.

Meaning that even if/when we go down,his plan is to come back up again with the same young team.They still will not be good enough to actually stay up,...but that is his plan.  

I have not ignored the poor job he has done. I just dont agree that the squad plus 20m is anywhere near immune to relegation. 

Sorry I misinterpreted they'd won so much before he rocked up.

No they are not immune as is shown but that is mainly down to Lambert doing a poor job.

Lets phrase it another way. Do you think Lambert is doing a good job? We are only just in those relegation places, I dont think Lambert is doing a good job which takes me back to my original post any manager worth his salt would not have us sat in that bottom 3.

Sorry I misinterpreted they'd won so much before he rocked up.

No they are not immune as is shown but that is mainly down to Lambert doing a poor job.

Lets phrase it another way. Do you think Lambert is doing a good job? We are only just in those relegation places, I dont think Lambert is doing a good job which takes me back to my original post any manager worth his salt would not have us sat in that bottom 3.

I think Paul Lamberts made mistakes. Mainly in the transfer market. We were in a position where we needed all signings to work. 6 out of 7 summer signings imo, have failed. So going into the season with that team (knowing that the signings havent worked), I think we are pretty much where we should be.  And fair play to Robbie Savage for acknowledging that. We certainly should not be much higher (though I appreciate that your not saying we should be). That said, a little bit more luck and a little bit more composure and we could actually be having a very ok season - in terms of position/results.

What is in no doubt for me, is that we wouldnt be having an ok season performance wise, even if we would have hung on to many leads recently. The performances have been absolutely diabolical imo. We have no plan it seems (that is down to Paul Lambert), but a plan is pointless if we cannot perform the very basic footballing fundamentals such as keeping possession, knowing when to clear the ball, marking opponents - (which imo is not down to Paul Lambert).

So, to answer your question. I dont think he is doing a good job, but mainly because his transfer dealings were poor. I don't really think tactics/substitutions come to much into where we are atm imo as without performing the basics - tactics are irrelevant really. And the inability to perform the basics is down to the players imo. They can clearly do what I was taught at the age of 11. They just need to start doing it. Then we will worry about the tactics etc.

I don't really think tactics/substitutions come to much into where we are atm imo as without performing the basics - tactics are irrelevant really. And the inability to perform the basics is down to the players imo. They can clearly do what I was taught at the age of 11. They just need to start doing it. Then we will worry about the tactics etc.

Look at the Newcastle game recently.

That first half was 100% down to tactics.

His formation selections have cost us points this year.

I don't really think tactics/substitutions come to much into where we are atm imo as without performing the basics - tactics are irrelevant really. And the inability to perform the basics is down to the players imo. They can clearly do what I was taught at the age of 11. They just need to start doing it. Then we will worry about the tactics etc.

Look at the Newcastle game recently.

That first half was 100% down to tactics.

His formation selections have cost us points this year.

You can change the bowler and not change the bowling.

all too samey imo

I'm not convinced tactics is a prime flaw, more quality to begin with for me.