Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Let's take a business owner's view on this:

1) He does a good selection of candidates in the summer and find who he think is the right man to create a new legacy at Villa Park when wages has gone down and right before the tv money goes significally up.

2) He appoint the man who shall use this season to stop the rot and start building a new Aston Villa during the next three years.

3) He sack him after a half season?

4) He does a good selection of candidates in the winter and find who he think is the right man to create a new legacy at Villa Park when wages has gone down and right before the tv money goes significally up.

5) He appoint the man who shall use the rest of the season to stop the rot and start building a new Aston Villa from next summer and during the next three years.

Number 3, 4 and 5 makes no sense at all so early. If Randy Lerner has identified the man who he think will create a new Villa, he must at least wait until the summer to judge if he is on the right track. Otherwise we will only go in circles.

Norwich fan here. I went to the game on Saturday so I thought I would chip in with my two cents. I can understand why you are concerned because it is your worst start for 43 years. But when Lambert was in charge of us we actually started very slowly as well. We drew 0-0 with Walsall (still the worst game of professional football I have ever seen), got outmuscled in a 2-1 defeat by MK Dons and were exceptionally fortunate to burgle late draws against Gillngham and Charlton. But ultimately it was the start of something. He was able to give every player in the squad a chance to show whether they were capable of doing a job at first team level. Some previously unheralded players responded brilliantly and became fixtures in the side. I also wouldn't be too concerned about his attitude towards senior professionals. Originally Wes Hoolahan was excluded altogether from the squad and was later reintroduced. If a player is good enough and has the right attitude they will play matches under him. We also at least started to look like a vaguely organised team during those games as well. Which I felt Villa did on Saturday. You will notice that with 10 men you were very disciplined. You didn't chase the ball like headless chickens. You stayed in formation and shape making it very difficult for Norwich to break through.

This isn't going to happen overnight for you guys. The team has been in decline for a couple of years and money is scarce. For where your club is at the moment now in terms of limited finance and investment, Lambert represents the best option around of you arresting this slide. Don't simply write off his signings as lower league players who aren't good enough. Every player has to start somewhere. The likes of Joe Hart, Joleon Lescott, Leighton Baines, Darren Bent and many others all started life as football league players. I thought in particular Matthew Lowton looked a player of good promise and Joe Bennett has had very good reviews for Middlesborough despite being rocky for you at the weekend. Lambert is giving the club a clear direction which is to inject a core of young, hungry players back into a lop sided and ageing squad. You have already suffered numerous times from chopping and changing since O'Neill left. Now is the time to stay strong and back your manager. Who for me is one of the most exciting prospects in Europe.

I also don't think you can judge him tactically yet either. Your squad is paper thin (like ours was) when he took over. As things develop over time and he is able to acquire more players he will be able to play different systems. To start with we were very one dimensional relying on the diamond but as our player base expanded we are now able to playing 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 and the diamond system all with great success. I think we may even have attempted to play 3-5-2 this season had he stayed with his German influences to coaching. The best thing you can do is support a young manager and young team through a difficult settling in period. I think he has the capability to do for you what Moyes has done for Everton in the long term.

An excellent post.

Norwich fan here. I went to the game on Saturday so I thought I would chip in with my two cents. I can understand why you are concerned because it is your worst start for 43 years. But when Lambert was in charge of us we actually started very slowly as well. We drew 0-0 with Walsall (still the worst game of professional football I have ever seen), got outmuscled in a 2-1 defeat by MK Dons and were exceptionally fortunate to burgle late draws against Gillngham and Charlton. But ultimately it was the start of something. He was able to give every player in the squad a chance to show whether they were capable of doing a job at first team level. Some previously unheralded players responded brilliantly and became fixtures in the side. I also wouldn't be too concerned about his attitude towards senior professionals. Originally Wes Hoolahan was excluded altogether from the squad and was later reintroduced. If a player is good enough and has the right attitude they will play matches under him. We also at least started to look like a vaguely organised team during those games as well. Which I felt Villa did on Saturday. You will notice that with 10 men you were very disciplined. You didn't chase the ball like headless chickens. You stayed in formation and shape making it very difficult for Norwich to break through.

This isn't going to happen overnight for you guys. The team has been in decline for a couple of years and money is scarce. For where your club is at the moment now in terms of limited finance and investment, Lambert represents the best option around of you arresting this slide. Don't simply write off his signings as lower league players who aren't good enough. Every player has to start somewhere. The likes of Joe Hart, Joleon Lescott, Leighton Baines, Darren Bent and many others all started life as football league players. I thought in particular Matthew Lowton looked a player of good promise and Joe Bennett has had very good reviews for Middlesborough despite being rocky for you at the weekend. Lambert is giving the club a clear direction which is to inject a core of young, hungry players back into a lop sided and ageing squad. You have already suffered numerous times from chopping and changing since O'Neill left. Now is the time to stay strong and back your manager. Who for me is one of the most exciting prospects in Europe.

I also don't think you can judge him tactically yet either. Your squad is paper thin (like ours was) when he took over. As things develop over time and he is able to acquire more players he will be able to play different systems. To start with we were very one dimensional relying on the diamond but as our player base expanded we are now able to playing 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 and the diamond system all with great success. I think we may even have attempted to play 3-5-2 this season had he stayed with his German influences to coaching. The best thing you can do is support a young manager and young team through a difficult settling in period. I think he has the capability to do for you what Moyes has done for Everton in the long term.

Good post, the key point is adding players, and maybe even starting our best player! The Bent situation is a joke, frankly. This is no time to be power tripping and playing mind games with established stars who when in form, can singlehandedly save a team (2010). Bent hasn't been given the chance to really get started this year, it's a farce, and the biggest mark on Lambert so far.

Stunning post!

Hope some of this might sink into the redknapp brigade.

We need to get behind this new era.

Look at the way he has left every club, acrimoniously. He is not the manager that we need to take us forward.

he tends to leave clubs when he's done well enough with them to get a bigger job though. if he leaves us in similar circumstances he WILL have taken us forward

Top post.

he tends to leave clubs when he's done well enough with them to get a bigger job though. if he leaves us in similar circumstances he WILL have taken us forward

This

And it baffles me how many people overlook this

My question what does Lambert say or do at half time to make us play so badly in second half of games, That is now 13 goals conceded in the second half in 12 games, compared to 5 goals in the first half that includes 9 first half clean sheets, the other 3 games we have been behind at half time