Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Well, expect and want are two very diferent things.

I want us to be successfull, I can remember when we were. I can also remember paying to go and watch us in the second division a few times too. I don't see the point of acting like a spoilt child because Lerner's money didn't buy us success. He chucked loads at it and unfortunately for us it didn't work.

I will expect us to do well when we have fully shaken that damage off and start assembling a squad capable of actually challenging to win something. We aren't there yet so I don't expect us to be better than just about in the top half this May. What I want is neither here nor there, otherwise I'd be managing us to our 5th title on the bounce and getting the 25 local lads in my squad ready to batter Barcelona away to march on to retaining the Champions league ;)

Well bloody said mate.

Yes I do know what it means. It means idly sitting by while the Villa sink into decline while denying anything bad is actually happening. That's what a lot of fans are doing right now.

Has Lerner brainwashed the lot of you?

I had 'brainwashed' in avfc1982 bingo. What do I win?

• Like 1

This is the worst run of games under Lambert so far. Getting thumped by good teams and being outplayed by bad ones. No goals and shite performances with terrible football. Very few reasons to be positive atm

As atrocious as our football is now I still think we've been even worse previously under Lambert.

Says alot really...

Can you remember as far back as 8-0, 4-0,3-0? Jesus wept. We are not playing well but we are picking points up, not like December and January last year when we seemed to be on  a death spiral. As for Lambert, he is here to stay. Where else will be given the time and patience of a owner like Lerner? He has total control on football matters and unless he does something amazing at Villa, there are few other better clubs he can go to in England.  I expect lots of points in the next 6 weeks, we have a piss easy run of fixtures. Will everyone just chillax?

Edited by The Fun Factory

Well bloody said mate.

I'll ask you as well then. How does not being happy surviving on the cheap equal what was said then?

Actually i'm still waiting for you to explain what entitlements you think our fan base expect that pisses you off so much?

I'm a fan of Lambert's philosophy, I get the impression that he's improved the team spirit a lot and that his players want to play for him. What isn't there yet is the quality, I'll be very interested to see what he does in January. I think a few small adjustments on his part could really improve us. We're going forwards, not backwards, anyway.

I love the fact that fans who actually expect the team they support to be decent are mocked.

I do wonder when some of these fans that have accepted survival on the cheap started supporting the club. Do a bit of research into the club you say you support.

Get over yourself........most of us don't like where we are right now but can see that Lambert is part of the solution not part of the problem......If you're unhappy with Lambert what do you want to happen? Who would you prefer as manager?

I'm not Lerner's biggest fan either but I also acknowledge that there are a lot worse owners around

• Like 2

I don't see the point of acting like a spoilt child because Lerner's money didn't buy us success.

So expecting a club like ours to be better than surviving on the cheap is acting like a spoilt child?

What do you mean a club like ours? You're only as good as your last few years. We've won two league cups in the last 30 years. What right do we have to say we should be competing for the top honours?

With our squad of players, I have no higher expectation than maybe 10th. Realistically that's as good as we can do with this team. However what is not excusable is our home record and the shit football we continue to play. I dont expect us to be winning every week but the performances of late have been diabolical.

• Like 1

I don't see the point of acting like a spoilt child because Lerner's money didn't buy us success.

So expecting a club like ours to be better than surviving on the cheap is acting like a spoilt child?

Constant bitching and moaning about how our great club should be at the top of the league, and how far we've fallen and how loads of us are brainwashed to accept this rubbish etc. etc.

It's just being realistic, we can all sympathise with the fact that we were top 6 a few years ago and now we're not. Simple fact is we aren't anymore, get over it. The spoilt child thing comes from the amount of people going way over the top stamping their feet and throwing their claret and blue toys out the pram because we aren't up there again now Lambert has been our manager for a year. We all love Villa, we all WANT us to be at the top of the league, we all know it's been sh*t for ages. No-one is settling for just surviving and loving it. Stomping your feet and crying like Lerner just nicked your sweets and repeating the fact that we SHOULD by some divine right be competing at the top of the league is mental. Not going to be happening this season for sure, might start happening next, it'll be a slow process though and I for one think Lambert is just the type of manager we need to oversee this long process away from the crap end of the table and to where we can all feel a bit happier winning football matches a lot more often.

No super rich sugardaddy is on the horizon, we haven't produced the next Messi in the academy yet so you know, be patient and let Lambert get on with it.

• Like 4

I love the fact that fans who actually expect the team they support to be decent are mocked.

I do wonder when some of these fans that have accepted survival on the cheap started supporting the club. Do a bit of research into the club you say you support.

Get over yourself........most of us don't like where we are right now but can see that Lambert is part of the solution not part of the problem......If you're unhappy with Lambert what do you want to happen? Who would you prefer as manager?

I'm not Lerner's biggest fan either but I also acknowledge that there are a lot worse owners around

Lambert could well be part of the solution, i don't want rid of him i've not said that.

A lot worse owners? Before him we'd finished in the bottom half of the prem 3 times. Its looking like we're now going to do that 3 times in a row. I can't think of many owners who have dropped the club as much as lerner has dropped us. The fact people don't mind this shows how low expectations have dropped in order accept him.

What do you mean a club like ours? You're only as good as your last few years. We've won two league cups in the last 30 years. What right do we have to say we should be competing for the top honours?

With our squad of players, I have no higher expectation than maybe 10th. Realistically that's as good as we can do with this team. However what is not excusable is our home record and the shit football we continue to play. I dont expect us to be winning every week but the performances of late have been diabolical.

Just because the owner has done a dreadful job does not justify lowering expectations.

My god, did that ever happen with the last guy?

Constant bitching and moaning about how our great club should be at the top of the league, and how far we've fallen and how loads of us are brainwashed to accept this rubbish etc. etc.

It's just being realistic, we can all sympathise with the fact that we were top 6 a few years ago and now we're not. Simple fact is we aren't anymore, get over it. The spoilt child thing comes from the amount of people going way over the top stamping their feet and throwing their claret and blue toys out the pram because we aren't up there again now Lambert has been our manager for a year. We all love Villa, we all WANT us to be at the top of the league, we all know it's been sh*t for ages. No-one is settling for just surviving and loving it. Stomping your feet and crying like Lerner just nicked your sweets and repeating the fact that we SHOULD by some divine right be competing at the top of the league is mental. Not going to be happening this season for sure, might start happening next, it'll be a slow process though and I for one think Lambert is just the type of manager we need to oversee this long process away from the crap end of the table and to where we can all feel a bit happier winning football matches a lot more often.

No super rich sugardaddy is on the horizon, we haven't produced the next Messi in the academy yet so you know, be patient and let Lambert get on with it.

I actually have patience with lambert, i don't think we'll get better than him at the moment.

I don't have patience with the way the club has been run and i see no evidence to suggest i should be patient and that the patience will pay off.

Theres no way lambert will be able to do anything at this club without the right backing and theres nothing to suggest that backing is going to come.

Just because the owner has done a dreadful job does not justify lowering expectations.

My god, did that ever happen with the last guy?

Expecting that the moon will turn into a teapot will ultimately end in tears.

When Heskey was upfront did anyone argue that's the best we can expect so let's be realistic and just accept it?

When Mcleish was manager did anyone argue that we might as well be realistic and accept the job he was doing?

Yet with the owner people are actually arguing that we should just accept the kind of club we've become. What is it about him that makes this happen?

• Like 1

I don't know who your speaking for but your sentiments certainly don't match mine. But at least we agree on one thing.

I do have a question.

Say, you're a Fulham or a West Ham fan. Should they be content with midtable because they're not a big club and that's what they "deserve?"

Edited by Kwan

When Heskey was upfront did anyone argue that's the best we can expect so let's be realistic and just accept it?

When Mcleish was manager did anyone argue that we might as well be realistic and accept the job he was doing?

Yet with the owner people are actually arguing that we should just accept the kind of club we've become. What is it about him that makes this happen?

I think to some degree people cant be bothered with getting angry or annoyed anymore. We've been shite for a long time now, different strategies, different managers, different types of manager - all haven't worked. The football is still crap, there no one on the pitch to get excited about and there's nothing to suggest it'll change. Meanwhile, players continue to be paid obscene amounts of money and football is everywhere you look. Which is fine if you are winning games - but a team that wins omce a month if lucky? Nah

Especially when you come to the conclusion that unless ridiculous amounts of money is spent you've got no chance of winning anything, bar some freak occurrence or a bit of luck. It just not worth the emotion (or money). On the whole, it's my opinion that most just want to go back to enjoying football again.

• Like 1

I do have a question.

Say, you're a Fulham or a West Ham fan. Should they be content with midtable because they're not a big club and that's what they "deserve?"

It's not about what you deserve, its about the team reaching the potential of the players they have. West Ham are a mid-table team with mid-table players. They will have ups and down but will finish between 10-12 more than likely which is their par with the squad they have. Our squad is pretty ropey and as a result I dont have any expectations. I've said before 10th is about as good as we can do. However we are playing shit football, are useless at home, cant score and every player (except Guzana and Delph) haven't improved from last season. What's being served up isnt good enough.

Having high expectations or pipe dreams ultimately is fruitless and deluded. I have been a Villa fan for 20 years and have seen nothing in that time to have high expectations. We have had good seasons and won a couple of trophies but for a team like us, you have to take the rough with the smooth. We havent been a great team in over 100 years. Moaning about the owner is also pointless. You can rightly moan about crap performance because they can be addressed a few days later in the next game but Randy is our owner and that isnt going to change for a while. He has made bad choices and the money has dried up but he tries to what's best for this club. He hasnt **** over the fans or gotten us into debt and isnt media whore or an embarrassment. We have been skint before. It happens, deal with it.

• Like 1