Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Kozak wasn't £7m and he was bought as back-up for Benteke, Helenius was not bought as back-up for Benteke he was bought to play out wide or behind Benteke.

How many times...

O.k how much was he then and you think Helenius is a winger, are you serious  :unsure: Kozak is a **** donkey, 7 million ;) what a waste of money.

It doesn't seem as though you are willing to change your opinion but I'll indulge anyway.Helenius has stated himself that he was bought to play in the number 10 role or out wide. It's inconsequential whether or not he has played their before. Kozak also wasn't 7M he was apparently closer to 4. It's sad that you're writing him off despite only a handful of appearances since he's joined.

It's kind of odd that we would play someone who had an excellent goal scoring record at his previous club in a position that isn't his best. Perhaps Lambert thinks that he can get his football 'tuition' in this league out wide or off the forward until Benteke leaves, then he can step in as number 9?

He can't keep gambling on players.We are Aston Villa, we should'nt only keep buying players who MIGHT turn into good players.

He has done a good job imho so far, but the next step is 2 or 3 players with proven quality, otherwise we will be in a continuing relegation battle year in year out.

I'm a big fan of Lambert but he is not above criticism and I agree with the above.

The only thing I would say is has he got the funds, certainly in terms of wages, to buy proven quality.

There was a guy playing for Everton in midfield today who would have walked into our side and was gettable in the summer. It was/is the kind of player we are crying out for. A player of proven quality who can influence others around him and would be invaluable to have around for the younger lads to learn off. Gareth Barry was a huge influence for Everton today and we missed a trick not signing him.

Agreed, but Barry is too much of a character for Lambert and its all about him at the end of the day. See us struggling again after  some poor football, what does Lambert say or not say prior to games to play so badly. 

A number 9 is a big, imposing, physical and aerially adept target man. Think John Carew. Helenius is nothing of the sort.

We'll need a replacement for Benteke when he leaves, as no-one we have currently is good enough to step into his shoes.

What (in your opinion) is a traditional number 9?

Because for me, Helenius isn't one.

I didn't say 'traditional', what I meant is that he could step in as a centre forward, that seems to be where he played at AaB when he was banging in the goals, as far as I'm aware.

He certainly does have height and presence, he just needs to get stronger, which I'm sure our S&C team are working on. He scored some great goals for AaB, all sorts of goals, I hope he's played in a position which will get that out of him.

I think he only scored 1 header for them (don't quote me on that) so in our current system he won't do much good. Saying that, when we play it into Benteke's feet, we play some great stuff.

What (in your opinion) is a traditional number 9?

Because for me, Helenius isn't one.

Can Lambert play no other way then without a traditional No. 9 though? The Kozak signing would suggest so.

I think he only scored 1 header for them (don't quote me on that) so in our current system he won't do much good. Saying that, when we play it into Benteke's feet, we play some great stuff.

We do, I think back to the back-heel from Weimann to Benteke, and wonder why we don't do more of it.  We have regressed to just banging balls up to Benteke, and it isn't working.

More and more of his signings don't look good enough to be in a team that wants to be back in the top half. 

Look at their cost, you're not gonna have a great rate of signing top half quality with the wages and fees Villa are paying

We do, I think back to the back-heel from Weimann to Benteke, and wonder why we don't do more of it.  We have regressed to just banging balls up to Benteke, and it isn't working.

That move was started by a certain B.B. We have lacked his presence this year. People say it's Delph or Bannan, but I say it's Bannan or Westwood. Wondering whether Lambert chose the right option in selling Bannan over his own signing Westwood.

76xfyCw.gif

He can't keep gambling on players.We are Aston Villa, we should'nt only keep buying players who MIGHT turn into good players.

He has done a good job imho so far, but the next step is 2 or 3 players with proven quality, otherwise we will be in a continuing relegation battle year in year out.

I'm a big fan of Lambert but he is not above criticism and I agree with the above.

The only thing I would say is has he got the funds, certainly in terms of wages, to buy proven quality.

There was a guy playing for Everton in midfield today who would have walked into our side and was gettable in the summer. It was/is the kind of player we are crying out for. A player of proven quality who can influence others around him and would be invaluable to have around for the younger lads to learn off. Gareth Barry was a huge influence for Everton today and we missed a trick not signing him.

It's hilarious that many on here turned their nose up at the idea of signing him, he's still a very good player and would walk into our team. But then there's no way Lerner would sanction the wages.

I heard, a week before he signed for Everton, that Man City offered Barry to us for the season and that they'd pay his wages. Came from a mate who has a friend who works at Villa Park. Might be rubbish of course, but if true, the club made a big mistake IMO.

Edited by villarocker

If it is true with regards to the Barry saga it's a massive mistake, Barry to me is one of Villa's best recent player and to me at least a bit of a legend. He'd probably have had a big impact on our team, not only because he's a great midfielder, but because he would undoubtedly have the club close to his heart. He would therefore be fantastic to have in the dressing room. Big mistake by Lambert if that is true. Anyway there's mixed reaction to the game we had today, a game which I didn't see so I'm still in support that Lambert is a good man for the job

If it is true with regards to the Barry saga it's a massive mistake, Barry to me is one of Villa's best recent player and to me at least a bit of a legend. He'd probably have had a big impact on our team, not only because he's a great midfielder, but because he would undoubtedly have the club close to his heart. He would therefore be fantastic to have in the dressing room. Big mistake by Lambert if that is true. Anyway there's mixed reaction to the game we had today, a game which I didn't see so I'm still in support that Lambert is a good man for the job

I would bet my last penny that Lambert would want a player as good as Barry in the team but was put off by his wage demands. You can blame Lerner for that.

Bargain basement - that's where Villa shop these days.

I would bet my last penny that Lambert would want a player as good as Barry in the team but was put off by his wage demands. You can blame Lerner for that.

Bargain basement - that's where Villa shop these days.

It's hard to say want Lambert wants. If we already have good players at the club on high wages he just lets them rot in the reserves until they're worthless. Nzogbia will be next. And Barry's age is way above what Lambert would contemplate.

When my workmate told me about us turning down Barry I thought he was winding me up. Then, a week later, he goes to Everton on loan and the following day my mate says "I told you I wasn't joking".

Like I said, if true we made a mistake.

For the record, I thought we played some good stuff at times yesterday. Delph was class, again.