Paul Lambert

Pilchard

He's proven to be a fairly savvy manager in the transfer market

Bennett, Kozak, Tonev, Helenuis (so good we bought another striker without playing him) all say Hi.

Yes, fairly savvy. Benteke, Vlaar, Bacuna, Lowton, Okore, and Luna have been good signings, to varying degrees, obviously. The verdict is still out on Tonev, Helenius and Kozak, but then they've not really had much time to prove themselves, have they.

The problem with varying degrees,is, it can span 0 to 100 and on any given Saturday you could see the good and the bad,apart from okore every one of those players has been called useless at some point.

No point looking at last season's signings, lets look at who he was signed so far this. The only ones who looks any good are Bacuna and Luna, Helenius and Tonev need more time to settle/impress and Okore is out for the season, but the big point I'm **** off big time about is why sign Kozak (when we had Helenius and 'cough' Bowery) when we needed a number 10, 7m on an unneeded player.

It's the allocation of funding you're talking about there AV which I have continually mentioned but we've apparently needed to fill out our squad on a pittance yet find ourselves with seven strikers on our books.

Kozak wasn't £7m and he was bought as back-up for Benteke, Helenius was not bought as back-up for Benteke he was bought to play out wide or behind Benteke.

How many times...

O.k how much was he then and you think Helenius is a winger, are you serious  :unsure: Kozak is a **** donkey, 7 million ;) what a waste of money.

Kozak wasn't £7m and he was bought as back-up for Benteke, Helenius was not bought as back-up for Benteke he was bought to play out wide or behind Benteke.

How many times...

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Helenius an 'out and out' striker AaB? So why would he be signed to play out wide, where he quite clearly doesn't have the pace to play there, or behind a forward? (although he is certainly more equipped to play there than out wide).

I always saw Helenius as a 'prospect' signed to eventually replace Benteke when he leaves next season. Kozak is probably more of a stop gap.

Helenius has played as a striker or on the wing in his career. Just because you're tall doesn't make you a big man up front.... The only attribute he has to be a big target man is his height, which is nothing to do with his footballing attributes.

How many times...

What? He's not a wide player and he was obviously not bought as backup to benteke or behind him considering none of those things have happened. 

How many times...

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Helenius an 'out and out' striker AaB? So why would he be signed to play out wide, where he quite clearly doesn't have the pace to play there, or behind a forward? (although he is certainly more equipped to play there than out wide).

I always saw Helenius as a 'prospect' signed to eventually replace Benteke when he leaves next season. Kozak is probably more of a stop gap.

I'm only going off what he said in his interview when he signed.

As for the comment about calling Helenius a winger, no, he is far from a winger but Weimann isn't a winger either. We don't play with wingers, we play with wide forwards.

Personally I think Helenius must be already on or if not should be put on a serious physical training regime to get him up to the Premier League standard in terms of strength and pace. Maybe then he can play up top a la Benteke.

How many times...

Thought Helenius himself said he was bought to play out wide or behind the main striker.

Helenius has never played on the wing in his career, he either played up front or just behind on the odd occasion for AaB, Kozak was just another panic buy IMO; well done Lambert, I'm here clapping my hands in a very sarcastic manner  :angry:

He can't keep gambling on players.We are Aston Villa, we should'nt only keep buying players who MIGHT turn into good players.

He has done a good job imho so far, but the next step is 2 or 3 players with proven quality, otherwise we will be in a continuing relegation battle year in year out.

We'll be getting relegated this season if we don't improve our home form, play 4-2-3-1 (Guzan, Bacuna, Vlaar, Baker, Luna, Sylla, Westwood, Tonev, Delph, Gabby and Benteke) Sylla proved at the latter end of last season he can protect Westwood, so he can spray his array of passing around the pitch, so why doesn't Lambert **** start him, just doesn't make sense. Weimann has looked dreadful this season needs dropping, give Tonev a chance and Delph should be pushed up the field and given a go in the number 10 roll, don't think his passing is all that, but his ability to run at players gets better and better every week.

He can't keep gambling on players.We are Aston Villa, we should'nt only keep buying players who MIGHT turn into good players.

He has done a good job imho so far, but the next step is 2 or 3 players with proven quality, otherwise we will be in a continuing relegation battle year in year out.

I'm a big fan of Lambert but he is not above criticism and I agree with the above.

The only thing I would say is has he got the funds, certainly in terms of wages, to buy proven quality.

There was a guy playing for Everton in midfield today who would have walked into our side and was gettable in the summer. It was/is the kind of player we are crying out for. A player of proven quality who can influence others around him and would be invaluable to have around for the younger lads to learn off. Gareth Barry was a huge influence for Everton today and we missed a trick not signing him.

With all due respect we struggled badly last season and while it's still a little early to judge this season we are headed in the wrong direction again so by any stretch of the imagination you cannot say with any confidence that Lambert is doing a good job.

• Like 2

With all due respect we struggled badly last season and while it's still a little early to judge this season we are headed in the wrong direction again so by any stretch of the imagination you cannot say with any confidence that Lambert is doing a good job.

Quite agree.  

I'm a big fan of Lambert but he is not above criticism and I agree with the above.

The only thing I would say is has he got the funds, certainly in terms of wages, to buy proven quality.

There was a guy playing for Everton in midfield today who would have walked into our side and was gettable in the summer. It was/is the kind of player we are crying out for. A player of proven quality who can influence others around him and would be invaluable to have around for the younger lads to learn off. Gareth Barry was a huge influence for Everton today and we missed a trick not signing him.

It's hilarious that many on here turned their nose up at the idea of signing him, he's still a very good player and would walk into our team. But then there's no way Lerner would sanction the wages.

He always talks about the home crowd being right behind them well he surely doesnt expect that to continue while we win 3-4 home games a season? Keep getting outclassed at home and the boos will start. Imagine this being mcleish there would be protests, cringeworthy banners the lot and mcleish's home record was better than lamberts.