Paul Lambert

Pilchard

A few home wins and all this worry will be forgotten. We have had a b*stard of a  list of opening fixtures and although it has been disappointing I feel there is enough in the squad to expect a solid mid table spot this year. If that is not enough for some people then that is fair enough, but I would take it. On Lambert side we do lack width as a option and our set pieces have been useless since Young left. I know it is not his style but  a good set piece can almost be a free  goal sometimes. It is still a great job for Lambert. He has a patient owner and patient fans. As long as Lambert  has accepted the low wage challenge it is a great club to run and build something. He is obviously a football romantic or he would have played it safe and stayed at Norwich.

Thing is the fixture list looks tough - because we are so crap. Everton, Spurs, Newcastle at home would all be winnable games to a reasonable villa team. I am also not filled with confidence for Cardiff at home, we just don't have the winning knack.

As for new managers - Id give Lambert a while longer - but the worrying question is that should we ever decide to replace him - what does the new guy have to work with ? besides Benteke, that squad, quality wise is the lightest for many years. 

A few home wins and all this worry will be forgotten. We have had a b*stard of a  list of opening fixtures and although it has been disappointing I feel there is enough in the squad to expect a solid mid table spot this year. If that is not enough for some people then that is fair enough, but I would take it. On Lambert side we do lack width as a option and our set pieces have been useless since Young left. I know it is not his style but  a good set piece can almost be a free  goal sometimes. It is still a great job for Lambert. He has a patient owner and patient fans. As long as Lambert  has accepted the low wage challenge it is a great club to run and build something. He is obviously a football romantic or he would have played it safe and stayed at Norwich.

Thing is the fixture list looks tough - because we are so crap. Everton, Spurs, Newcastle at home would all be winnable games to a reasonable villa team. I am also not filled with confidence for Cardiff at home, we just don't have the winning knack.

As for new managers - Id give Lambert a while longer - but the worrying question is that should we ever decide to replace him - what does the new guy have to work with ? besides Benteke, that squad, quality wise is the lightest for many years. 

Not these Everton and Spurs sides.

Liverpool, Newcastle, Man City, Spurs and Everton at this moment in time is an incredibly hard set of opening home fixtures.

It's way too early to be claiming that this season is a repeat of last season.

When I have seen the same pattern emerge for 3 seasons on the bounce it makes it a little easier to see the pattern. You know how it works, at the start of the season some people are optimistic for the season but by the end of the season they start to realise that their optimism was unfounded. It's de ja vu all over again! LOL

What's that got to do with this season?

Mmmmm.....what has the pattern of the last 3 seasons got to do with the pattern emerging this season? I'll let you work it out.

Meanwhile I would love to be wrong this season as it would mean that Villa have done better than I expect them to and I can cope with being wrong once in 4 years.

And what "pattern" is emerging this season?

Losing 4 out of our 5 home games, scoring 4 goals in 7 matches (3 of them in the same game against Man City) being powder puff in attack and can hardly buy a clean sheet!

Does this sound familiar?

3 of those losses against Liverpool, Everton and Spurs. We've played Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs and Everton already this season and yet have got almost double the points that we had at this stage last season. So no, doesn't sound that familiar.

Whatever happened to perspective?

Ok you go your usual way and I'll go mine. I know that I will admit that I am wrong at the end of the season if the evidence proves it.

And what is "my way"?

And so will I, like how I admitted I was wrong about Lambert not being able to turn it around last season.

You have a knack of asking questions but answering few.

Short of me trawling back through 3 seasons of your early season posts, which I have no desire to do, I think you and many others know that you start the season with a posting style different to how you have to finish it.

• Like 2

Short of me trawling back through 3 seasons of your early season posts, which I have no desire to do, I think you and many others know that you start the season with a posting style different to how you have to finish it.

What's that supposed to mean?

What's that supposed to mean?

Another question. Usually this is what happens when someone doesn't haven't any answers.

• Like 2

Another question. Usually this is what happens when someone doesn't haven't any answers.

Answers to what? You're not even making any sense.

Fed up with you now. I'll let your usual nemesis deal with you. End of posts.

Answers to what? You're not even making any sense.

Fed up with you now. I'll let your usual nemesis deal with you. End of posts.

Seems like you're guilty of doing what you accused me of doing - no answers.

I think we have played by the far the best sides in the league at least once already and its not even November. The gap between the top 6 and maybe Everton, and the rest of the league is huge. Its not a great situation but Villa are most definitely clumped with the 'rest' of the league. The best we will get is around 8 or 9th this year, more likely 10-13th placing. In order to do that we must win versus the teams around us and nick the odd morale booster win v a top side. Like beating norwich, drawing v hull and beating arsenal and city. The only real stinker of a result so far has been Newcastle, but I will argee with losing 4 out of 5 at home is not good any way you can put it.Lambert needs to be given at least a couple more seasons to work with Villa in building the team up. If he gets the time to do this, I do not know.  Either that or we get bought up again and spend hundreds of millions to try and get a europa league spot. No wait we have already tried to do that.......

If it is true with regards to the Barry saga it's a massive mistake, Barry to me is one of Villa's best recent player and to me at least a bit of a legend. He'd probably have had a big impact on our team, not only because he's a great midfielder, but because he would undoubtedly have the club close to his heart. He would therefore be fantastic to have in the dressing room. Big mistake by Lambert if that is true. Anyway there's mixed reaction to the game we had today, a game which I didn't see so I'm still in support that Lambert is a good man for the job

I would bet my last penny that Lambert would want a player as good as Barry in the team but was put off by his wage demands. You can blame Lerner for that.

Bargain basement - that's where Villa shop these days.

Lerner cant surely be blamed for Barry being on 110k a week

Lerner wouldn't even pay Lukaka's wages, so off he went to Albion. No wonder we're in the shit with a team packed out with nobodies.

If it is true with regards to the Barry saga it's a massive mistake, Barry to me is one of Villa's best recent player and to me at least a bit of a legend. He'd probably have had a big impact on our team, not only because he's a great midfielder, but because he would undoubtedly have the club close to his heart. He would therefore be fantastic to have in the dressing room. Big mistake by Lambert if that is true. Anyway there's mixed reaction to the game we had today, a game which I didn't see so I'm still in support that Lambert is a good man for the job

I would bet my last penny that Lambert would want a player as good as Barry in the team but was put off by his wage demands. You can blame Lerner for that.

Bargain basement - that's where Villa shop these days.

Lerner cant surely be blamed for Barry being on 110k a week

Lerner wouldn't even pay Lukaka's wages, so off he went to Albion. No wonder we're in the shit with a team packed out with nobodies.

13th after the toughest start in the league counts as 'in the shit'?

Right.

• Like 2

13th after the toughest start in the league counts as 'in the shit'?

Right.

But being just 2 points above relegation might count as "in the shit" (along with a whole bunch of other teams)

Edited by sne

Was about to ask the question how Everton could afford the wages of two players on such high wages but then i suppose the fee they got for Fellaini would answer it and there's no reason why they couldn't purchase both players at the end of the season.

Hopefully when Benteke leaves we'll be in the same position to strengthen?