Paul Lambert

Pilchard

didnt AVB call us a long ball team :crylaugh:

No, mourinho did.

Was this after the same game where Mourinho's Chelsea played more long balls than us?

Yes that's the one.

What is actually classed as a long ball? As ones that's played 40 yards onto a players chest to me is not a long ball.

if a team managed by a fancy foreign manager its a long pass but if by a British manager its a long ball.

I remember watching about 04 people criticized Allardyce for playing long ball and in next highlights was Chelsea hitting long passes to Drogba :D

In my opinion a 'long ball' is a flighted pass to a marked player. This inevitably leads to both players challenging for it rather than the attacking team maintaining possession.

It is not a 40 yard cross field switch to an open winger etc

In my opinion a 'long ball' is a flighted pass to a marked player. This inevitably leads to both players challenging for it rather than the attacking team maintaining possession.

Not necessarily.  If the intended target is Bannan, then there is a good chance we lose possession thanks to his lack of physical attributes in winning the ball. If it's Benteke, however....

Personally, I'm not overly fussed with the amount of possession we have: It is entirely possible to hold onto the football for the vast majority of the time yet never venture past halfway. What really makes the difference is what you do with the ball once you have it - "effective possession", as it were. Considering how many goals we are scoring so far this season against the quality of opposition we have faced, our "effective possession" is rather good.

Not necessarily.  If the intended target is Bannan, then there is a good chance we lose possession thanks to his lack of physical attributes in winning the ball. If it's Benteke, however....

Personally, I'm not overly fussed with the amount of possession we have: It is entirely possible to hold onto the football for the vast majority of the time yet never venture past halfway. What really makes the difference is what you do with the ball once you have it - "effective possession", as it were. Considering how many goals we are scoring so far this season against the quality of opposition we have faced, our "effective possession" is rather good.

Well if the intended target is bannan then we definitely lose possession seen as he now plays for Crystal Palace! :D

15.7% of Aston Villa's passes have been hit long (35 yards or more) this season; a league-high ratio.

Here

This stat could easily be because we have been, mostly, playing strong teams and playing on the counter - hence hitting a lot of long (not necessarily in the air) through balls.

Edited by bose
  • Like 1

Whilst we are endeavouring to improve and do better.

Beware of those that think we are doing all we can....and the rest of us are ungrateful.

This great club of ours, needs to live up to its reputation of wanting to be great.

Signing a quality midfield player that most clubs want, might be a start.

• Like 1

Beware of those that think we are doing all we can....and the rest of us are ungrateful.

This great club of ours, needs to live up to its reputation of wanting to be great.

Lambert has been doing all he can with the money made available. The fact is that hes had less money than most prem clubs, and Villa being a big club in the past doesn't help him or anyone at the club rebuild a squad in the present when other teams have more money

Lambert has been doing all he can with the money made available. The fact is that hes had less money than most prem clubs, and Villa being a big club in the past doesn't help him or anyone at the club rebuild a squad in the present when other teams have more money

You may be right, but by mentioning it, I!m not leaving anything to chance.

Under HDE.....an obvious signing would be shelved on basis we have just won....trying to avoid that.

You may be right, but by mentioning it, I!m not leaving anything to chance.

Under HDE.....an obvious signing would be shelved on basis we have just won....trying to avoid that.

What's HDE mean?

Personally I couldn't care what people think or say. I've witnessed us play some very good football under Lambert at times and at other times some pretty dire stuff too.

I've been annoyed at times with our punts up the pitch, I've been overwhelmed at times with slick passing and finishing. 

As long as we're going out there giving our all and going for the win then I'm not really fussed. I'd say we do that pretty much every game.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

What changes if any should he make tomorrow? will be interesting to see if he sticks with same formation as city game of changes it back.

I hope that we play our usual away formation/tactic, reckon we can counter Hull pretty well.

I'd personally keep our midfield as Sylla, KEA and Delph although I wouldn't be surprised to see Bacuna start in the middle to give him a 'proper' shot at his favoured position.

Can see Lowton being brought back in at right back, with Westwood still on the bench to get a run out in the second half.

What changes if any should he make tomorrow? will be interesting to see if he sticks with same formation as city game of changes it back.

I hope that we play our usual away formation/tactic, reckon we can counter Hull pretty well.

I'd personally keep our midfield as Sylla, KEA and Delph although I wouldn't be surprised to see Bacuna start in the middle to give him a 'proper' shot at his favoured position.

Can see Lowton being brought back in at right back, with Westwood still on the bench to get a run out in the second half.

Mmmm. I see why you would make those calls but not so sure. Think we will change formation back to type but not sure about personnel.

I definitely rate Bacuna defensively over Lowton at right back, but to use our counter-attack properly I think Lowton will be a better shout. I also think that at the very least Lowton deserves to get a chance to reclaim his place in the team. At the same time, I think Bacuna deserves another crack in the middle of the pitch after showing what he can do, so both changes would play off each other I guess.

Don't think KEA or Delph will be losing their places in the middle that is for sure.

Do we know anything more about Gabby? I reckon Lambert will play Tonev from the off if Gabby isn't back.

Mmmm. I see why you would make those calls but not so sure. Think we will change formation back to type but not sure about personnel.

Personally as we seem to take teams apart on the counter away from home e.g. Arsenal :P think we have to stick with 4-3-3. Gabby being brought in (if fit) for Sylla, as haven't really got any other choice, KEA has earn his place and proved me wrong.

Why would anyone suggest moving Bacuna? Man of the match in the last two games.

Against Norwich he handled their best player so well that he was subbed off and against city he scored and set up a goal.

Lowton will have to wait for his chance and Bacuna should be kept at rb.

We need to go back to 4-3-3 for this one with either baker or Clark dropped for gabby.