Paul Lambert

Pilchard

There always seems to be an excuse.  Too many games in a short space of time -  the players were tired.  Too much time off - the players lost focus.  It's pretty much the same for all teams, yet it's always us who can't cope with it, apparently.

No but I doubt people expected us to be dominated on all fronts at home to Newcastle.

We wern't dominated at all - we had the better chances and slightly more possession

Not a good enough performance but if we can improve slightly we will win more of those type of games than we lose.

Dominated perhaps slightly harsh a word but outplayed in every department is a fair assessment.

"Outplayed in every department" is still a massive exaggeration. We were poor but still had more possession and had the better chances - on another day we could have won it.

So far two good performances against Arsenal and Chelsea, a decent showing against Liverpool and a sub-par outing against Newcastle - anyone expecting us to steamroller sides like Liverpool and Newcastle has a long, disappointing season ahead

10th-12th will represent good progress for us this year

We had a few chances but that isn't reflective on the performance of our attacking unit who were incohesive throughout. We had slightly more possession but nobody will deny that Newcastle won the midfield battle. The gulf in class between the two sides was evident on Saturday and it isn't an 'exaggeration' to say that Newcastle were superior in every department.

Also I don't get why people (not just you) think the Liverpool showing was a decent one. They played us off the park in the first half and were happy to sit back in the second with us not having the quality to break them down. Nothing to be proud of in my book.

I do think that the extended amount of time off hurt us. Everyone, save for Delph was lethargic for large spells of the game. Hopefully a more consistent schedule can help us

I disagree. It's not the lack of football that hurt us it's the poor defence and the lack of a midfield playmaker that is costing us, and it was exactly the same last season as well.

I do think that the extended amount of time off hurt us. Everyone, save for Delph was lethargic for large spells of the game. Hopefully a more consistent schedule can help us

I disagree. It's not the lack of football that hurt us it's the poor defence and the lack of a midfield playmaker that is costing us, and it was exactly the same last season as well.

Well said, but apparently the need for another striker was far more important ...

We were terrible in possession in the attacking third on Saturday. We would pass it around the defenders until they realised that there was no movement so it was passed back to guzan to launch it to Benteke. Newcastle easily defended it. Did krul have a save to make?

Well said, but apparently the need for another striker was far more important ...

Wouldn't surprise me that the reason for another striker is because there was a clause Benteke may review his options in Jan if we are struggling again.

• Like 1

I think the crowd were booing the players performance.

And it is the managers job to get HIS players performing, so they were aimed at him as well.

And it is the managers job to get HIS players performing, so they were aimed at him as well.

I have to question why we were booing the side at home in just the second home game of the season. No wonder we are better away.

• Like 1

I have to question why we were booing the side at home in just the second home game of the season. No wonder we are better away.

What I watched was probably the worst performance I've seen in a long time, nothing good came from the game apart from blind daves speech and Gabbys highlights from stans match.

Agreed, it was marginally better than the first 45 against Liverpool, but that's not saying a lot is it ?

And i'm inclined to think the booing wasn't just about Saturday (which was dire) or even the Liverpool 45. It was probably a culmination of the last year or more of generally piss poor showings at home. Which is where people tend to spend most of their money watching. Villa Park is where 90% or more of our supporters turn up to watch the team. By and large we do show up and the team don't.

You pays your money, you have the right to vent an opinion. Personally i just sat there dumbfounded by what i'd just witnessed in front of my eyes

• Like 2

I don't boo personally but I don't blame anyone who does tbh.

I'm surprised they have been this patient with him. They pay to be entertained and see results, unfortunately this has been sadly lacking under Lambert.

Edited by jim

Was talking to Chris Nicholl our old Captain and CH from the 70s. He maintains that PL has a problem with older more experienced players and that his young and/or inexperienced squad is not going to thrive in the Premiership.

Inclined to agree.There are plenty of 29+ players who could do a job for us.I admire this policy of building for the future but you have to also deal with the here and now.

You didn't see the game then?