Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I like how the team is fast becoming "his" team. We haven't had that for a while. Under Houllier it was basically O'Neill's team plus Bent and Walker and under McLeish it was once again O'Neill's team plus Bent and a couple of his own duff signings. Last season was a bit of a mish-mash but it was definitely taking shape and now you get the sense that it's his own team. Obviously some of the players (Guzan, Baker, Delph and Weimann) have been around for a while but he's used them a lot more than his predecessors.

While savouring yesterdays win and enjoying the highlights one more time than was really necessary I couldn't help but think back to a game a couple of years ago when Norwich went to the Emirates.

It was May 5th 2012, Norwich went to the Emirates and Lambert at the time said they were going there without fear and with a desire to take the game to Arsenal on their own patch. His team did exactly what he said they would, they gave it damn good go and went at Arsenal without fear and without too much respect which is so often what teams do when they go away to the Sky 4.

It was a belting match with Norwich coming away with a point in a thrilling 3-3 draw, the following day, we took on Spurs at home on what many fans labelled "McLeish out day".

We started that match with 6 defenders in the starting line up and Herd and Heskey up front on his own as we attempted to bore Spurs into submission. We got a fluke goal and then spent the rest of the game trying to cling on for dear life against an opposition with 10 men as we clinched our 17th draw of a simply horrific season.

I remember at the time being envious of Norwich for having a manager with some balls, with the bravery to take a game to the opposition and not to simply try and nullify the opposition. Both sides got a point that weekend against similar strength opposition, only one did it in a way both they and their fans could be proud the other, well the other was simply shameful.

I was reminded of this on Friday when I saw Lambert's press conference and almost word for word he repeated the things he said back in 2012. Low and behold we went there on Saturday without fear, not trying to nullify the opposition and not simply trying to survive we took it to them and we got more than we could have ever expected.

So while peoples complaints about his sides questionable defensive qualities have some legitimacy I for one am not about to start grumbling too much. Yes we could be better defensively, I actually think we will improve in this regard but even if we don't I personally would take his approach over the gut wrenching awful alternative we had just 15 months ago.

And that is another really important factor, it is just 15 months ago that we were playing at home with 6 defenders in our team and we still couldn't keep a clean sheet against 10 men Spurs. Now we have a front three of Beneke, Weimann and Gabby and we are willing to try and go toe to toe with anyone on our patch or there's.

I will take that every time and that is just one of a number of reasons why I'm so firmly behind Lambert and what he is trying to do, in difficult circumstances and seemingly with very limited financial backing.

Lambert has balls, he makes tough decisions and he makes brave decisions for the good of the club in the long term no matter how much harder it makes his life in the short term.

There is so much to be admired about him and his approach, about both his approach to the job and to games like yesterday that I can live with us letting in a few too many goals along the way.

Is he the best manager we've had in 30 years? No probably not, certainly not yet but he could well go on to be. Regardless of if he does or not I'm just delighted we've got him, that we are actually having a go again and that days like 6th May 2012 seem like a life time ago not just 15 months.

riker.gif

Edited by samjp26

very well said Trent. I too also think we will improve defensively eventually, but he just exudes a real sense of confidence that as a fan I've learnt - since January of this year to have pretty much absolute faith in him. Some managers you just know, you get that feeling that is intuitive that basically says " you know, we're going to do well as long as he's here. We'll get the rub of the green occasionally, things will go for us more often than they don't and even when we have bumps, I just trust that we have a guy who knows what he's doing. It feels a little similar to MoNs second season but with the additional confidence of a new breed willing to adapt and try new things even at the risk of it going tits up. 

We may well get beat easily at Chelsea again next week - they are still of course a much better side - but we're definitely onto a good thing here, and part of me is pretty the confident by the time he leaves we'll be firmly back up at the top of the table again - as competitors for European spots. I feel pretty sure he'll be here at least 4-5 years and possibly longer. 

Awesome post, I still remember that Norwich game cause I watched it but I didn't make the connection that Lambert was manager. What still sticks out in my mind is how in the post game interview with a Norwich player they asked him how happy he was with the comeback draw and he said, "to be honest we're more disappointed we weren't able to go on and get the three points"and the announcer was shocked. He said a question about like we'll surely a point at the emirates is a good result and he said, "Nah, we think we can beat any team" or something to thy effect.

Now that I know it was a Lambert team that makes a lot of sense.

• Like 1

Last season? you mean the season where he took a club that was so lost up the wrong road of paying out millions to players who did not perform at all on the pitch that it was doomed to go down.

For a team doomed to go down not many people on here were worried about a relegation battle last summer.

Ok, that got edited down a lot, but let me qualify it anyway.

When Lambert arrived we were ****. The trend in Mcleish's tenure was to get worse and worse and worse. It was hideous. There was a good start to the season which totally saved us becuase without those points in teh first few games we were down. We were awful, we looked awful, we got awful results and we played some complete bollocks. No ambition to win a game even though we desperately needed too. Warnock looked our best player in midfield towards the end of the season when we turned out with 7 defenders (4 at the back and 3 in midfield). It was a shambles and as such, when Lambert took over, if nothing changed we were doomed to go down. If he couldn't turn it around and we played as we had been for months before he came we were doomed to go down.

Now, when he arrived there was a lot of optimism (me included) so maybe we thought it could never be that bad again and we would be safe mid table then Lambert could sort it this year. I was wrong, the problems were deeper, we couldn't shift out the high earners striaght off and given how desperate it got more credit to PL to getting us where we are now.

As for Chelsea on weds, we could get a hammering off them again, we'll probably get beat I reckon but not mauled and I think we'll score against them at their place and I bet not many teams do that this season. If we do get a beating I won't stop being optimistic and I won't eat my words about how good I think PL could be for us long term. I was fully expecting us to get no points from the first three, especially seeing as they were 3 games in 7 days. So having 3 points in the bag is already a bonus. 

• Like 1

While savouring yesterdays win and enjoying the highlights one more time than was really necessary I couldn't help but think back to a game a couple of years ago when Norwich went to the Emirates. 

It was May 5th 2012, Norwich went to the Emirates and Lambert at the time said they were going there without fear and with a desire to take the game to Arsenal on their own patch. His team did exactly what he said they would, they gave it damn good go and went at Arsenal without fear and without too much respect which is so often what teams do when they go away to the Sky 4.

It was a belting match with Norwich coming away with a point in a thrilling 3-3 draw, the following day, we took on Spurs at home on what many fans labelled "McLeish out day".

We started that match with 6 defenders in the starting line up and Herd and Heskey up front on his own as we attempted to bore Spurs into submission. We got a fluke goal and then spent the rest of the game trying to cling on for dear life against an opposition with 10 men as we clinched our 17th draw of a simply horrific season.

I remember at the time being envious of Norwich for having a manager with some balls, with the bravery to take a game to the opposition and not to simply try and nullify the opposition. Both sides got a point that weekend against similar strength opposition, only one did it in a way both they and their fans could be proud the other, well the other was simply shameful.

I was reminded of this on Friday when I saw Lambert's press conference and almost word for word he repeated the things he said back in 2012. Low and behold we went there on Saturday without fear, not trying to nullify the opposition and not simply trying to survive we took it to them and we got more than we could have ever expected.

So while peoples complaints about his sides questionable defensive qualities have some legitimacy I for one am not about to start grumbling too much. Yes we could be better defensively, I actually think we will improve in this regard but even if we don't I personally would take his approach over the gut wrenching awful alternative we had just 15 months ago.

And that is another really important factor, it is just 15 months ago that we were playing at home with 6 defenders in our team and we still couldn't keep a clean sheet against 10 men Spurs. Now we have a front three of Beneke, Weimann and Gabby and we are willing to try and go toe to toe with anyone on our patch or there's.

I will take that every time and that is just one of a number of reasons why I'm so firmly behind Lambert and what he is trying to do, in difficult circumstances and seemingly with very limited financial backing.

Lambert has balls, he makes tough decisions and he makes brave decisions for the good of the club in the long term no matter how much harder it makes his life in the short term.

There is so much to be admired about him and his approach, about both his approach to the job and to games like yesterday that I can live with us letting in a few too many goals along the way.

Is he the best manager we've had in 30 years? No probably not, certainly not yet but he could well go on to be. Regardless of if he does or not I'm just delighted we've got him, that we are actually having a go again and that days like 6th May 2012 seem like a life time ago not just 15 months.

Post of the decade.

I do think that even if we get smashed by Chelsea and the couple of games after, most people will be able to think back to last Christmas and know that the team know how to get out of an apparent death spiral and back to winning. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Trent, that was bang on. Should be printed off and put in Villa's changing room! No matter now bad it got last season, it was still better than McClueless. That spurs game and wigan away were 90 minutes of awful non football  by  average over paid players on autopilot. Heskey in midfield, no one should have to pay to watch that! Lets not go  overboard but it looks like we are heading in the right direction under a manager with a plan. That doesn't usually happen at the Villa.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Has he signed a new contract yet? Lerner, time to lock in "the dour one" for another 3 years.

You can't lock in managers like players. They can quit when they like, like Lambert did to come to use.

I just want to sprinkle more money over him. That will surely help retention. :)

Has he signed a new contract yet? Lerner, time to lock in "the dour one" for another 3 years.

You can't lock in managers like players. They can quit when they like, like Lambert did to come to use.

I just want to sprinkle more money over him. That will surely help retention. :)

Yep it would help.