Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I think there's a good chance not only that we have another Saunders on our hands, but that he might stick around longer than many people expect.

He seems to have the nous to build a successful, winning team. If he can do that with us, the sky (Sky?) is the limit. He might not want to leave if he is able to get to the stage where he's building a legacy. Where's the glory in being one in a line of successful managers of, say, Chelsea/Man City/Man Utd, when he can actually do something GREAT, and be our equivalent of Shankly or SAF, both of whom turned their clubs from "big" to "giant".

• Like 3

Can't believe I was one of the people that lost my head and called for him to go in January. To be fair I did snap out of it after a few weeks but I'm delighted to have been wrong. Long may the Lambert resurgence continue.

Didn't we all though? It's hardly being fickle, his 4 strikers on the pitch against Bradford was batshit insane. I never wanted him sacked though, as there was always a tiny feeling he would get it right in the end.

He certainly knows what he's doing now though. Don't think there is a better suited manager in the world for our situation

Doomed to go down eh? Not even the great McLeish could take us down and Lambert only achieved parity with that with one game to go despite being given similar financial backing. He also presided over one of the worst starts to a league campaign this club has seen which was his fault introducing too many young players at once when we already had a multitude of youth trying to break into the first team. He got the balance of that completely wrong which could have relegated us and we came very close to that. I therefore do not think last season is anything to celebrate and I don't agree that we should be making statements like he's the best manager we've had in 30 years or we could have another Saunders on our hands based on a flirtation with relegation and one game into the following season. That over reaction has come from a starvation of succcess which if understandable is far too premature.

Edited by Morpheus

I think there's a good chance not only that we have another Saunders on our hands, but that he might stick around longer than many people expect.

He seems to have the nous to build a successful, winning team. If he can do that with us, the sky (Sky?) is the limit. He might not want to leave if he is able to get to the stage where he's building a legacy. Where's the glory in being one in a line of successful managers of, say, Chelsea/Man City/Man Utd, when he can actually do something GREAT, and be our equivalent of Shankly or SAF, both of whom turned their clubs from "big" to "giant".

I don't think this is OTT either, I get a really good feeling about our manager. We will still have the lows, but as shown last year we can overcome this and we will grow stronger. I also feel Lambert is the man to bring the fans together (apart from Morpheus ;) ) and we will be so much better for it. PL is the bond!

Doomed to go down eh? Not even the great McLeish could take us down and Lambert only achieved parity with that with one game to go despite being given similar financial backing. He also presided over one of the worst starts to a league campaign this club has seen which was his fault introducing too many young players at once when we already had a multitude of youth trying to break into the first team. He got the balance of that completely wrong which could have relegated us and we came very close to that. I therefore do not think last season is anything to celebrate and I don't agree that we should be making statements like he's the best manager we'vehad in 30 years or we could have another Saunders on our hands based on a flirtation with relegation and one game into the following season. That over reaction has come from a starvation of succcess which if understandable is far too premature.

Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you can rebuild - and also, he did this whilst getting rid of the players left over from the previous regimes, who were not giving the performances they should have been for their wage.

How often did Collins, Dunne, Cueller and others cost us? 

So, we start from scratch and this will always be hard, it was a bloody hard season where young players (and players who came from league 1 and 2) were learning as they went along - and the fruits were starting to show from March onward.

Have some faith.

• Like 1

You don't agree with people being positive about the manager, Morpheus? That's a shock -I don't think you've ever expressed that sentiment before.

Can everyone stop rehashing the same debate about Lambert's first season that we had during the entire season and the entire off-season? It's really tedious now and we know where everyone stands.

Norwich fans probably thought the same.

trolls-dont-feed-640x360.jpg

-----

Brilliant stuff yesterday.

Still not sure about our shape defensively, but I think a lot of it come from the hail mary counter attacks we like to throw into the mix every 6 minutes.

We could easily get pumped by Chelsea, but we've already got more than what I thought would be a decent return from these first few games.

I think Lambert will return to the 352 at some points this season, and I think it'll work.

I want to have his boring, undecipherable Scottish babies.

I haven't enjoyed being a Villa fan this much in quite a long time. I completely adore our current team, policy and set-up. So full of vibrant, committed players who actually give a damn about the claret and blue. They seem to feel all the same feelings we do in victory and defeat and I think that's important.

• Like 2

Norwich fans probably thought the same.

Maybe, but the difference is that we are not much, if at all, smaller than Liverpool were pre-Shankly and we are more successful than Man Utd were pre-SAF. Aston Villa, along with clubs like Everton, Tottingeham, Newcastle and even Sunderland are big enough to move to the top level if managed properly brilliantly.

Doomed to go down eh? Not even the great McLeish could take us down and Lambert only achieved parity with that with one game to go despite being given similar financial backing. He also presided over one of the worst starts to a league campaign this club has seen which was his fault introducing too many young players at once when we already had a multitude of youth trying to break into the first team. He got the balance of that completely wrong which could have relegated us and we came very close to that. I therefore do not think last season is anything to celebrate and I don't agree that we should be making statements like he's the best manager we'vehad in 30 years or we could have another Saunders on our hands based on a flirtation with relegation and one game into the following season. That over reaction has come from a starvation of succcess which if understandable is far too premature.

Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you can rebuild - and also, he did this whilst getting rid of the players left over from the previous regimes, who were not giving the performances they should have been for their wage.

So, we start from scratch and this will always be hard, it was a bloody hard season where young players (and players who came from league 1 and 2) were learning as they went along - and the fruits were starting to show from March onward.

Have some faith.

It's not that I don't have some faith in him. The performance against Sunderland last season when we needed a win was the best performance I'd seen from a Villa side for many a year. It's just that I'm trying to show some perspective in amongst the euphoria of yesterday's result and the subsequent over the top comments concerning our manager.

I can nevertheless understand such comments which I feel are based on the frustrations of the last 3-4 seasons but those comments whilst maybe having the correct foresight are nevertheless at the moment very premature and I certainly do not want to suffer another false dawn by setting my hopes too high at this moment in time.

Edited by Morpheus

Have some faith.

It's not that I don't have some faith in him. The performance against Sunderland last season when we needed a win was the best performance I'd seen from a Villa side for many a year. It's just that I'm trying to show some perspective in amongst the euphoria of yesterday's result and the subsequent over the top comments concerning our manager.

I can nevertheless understand such comments which I feel are based on the frustrations of the last 3-4 seasons but those comments whilst maybe having the correct foresight are nevertheless at the moment very premature and I certainly do not want to suffer another false dawn by setting my hopes too high at this moment in time.

I was in the car with my mate about four or five hours before the game and he's a Man U fan. He was talking about that he still wasnt sure about Moyes but came to the conclusion that he probably wouldn't have been totally happy with anybody after Ferguson. He said that he didn't think anybody in the premiership really was that expectional in regards to management and I had to agree with him. I said to though that I believed we had somebody special, that Lambert had something I hadn't seen for a very long time and I couldn't put my finger on it. He still has masses to learn but in some ways I believe he is the managerial version of Benteke....he's young, will make mistakes but there is enormous potential there to be great. I really believe that.....

Id say 99% called for his head after 3-0 Wigan and then Bradford a few weeks later. But fair player to the owner for sticking with him.

Things are finally starting to look up. Bring on Chelsea.

From what I saw, and I was at the Bradford second leg, people were gutted yes. But I can only remember grumbles at the game, very pissed off, yes. But even seconds after being knocked out to Bradford I'd say only around 5-10% wanted him gone. 

Without getting into a debate about it it was a similar position to Houllier. He was trying to change the style and some of the fans got it, could see what he was doing here, rightly or wrongly, and some fans didnt. We had an awful christmas then too if I remember correctly. And I'd say 70% wanted him gone. Right up until the Wolves game when he took more abuse than I've ever seen at a football game and it was obvious his position was untenable.

The difference is, now the entire fanbase can see what is being built and we have been behind him the entire way. I'd say at its worst point 10% wanted him gone. We have stuck by him incredibly well imo compared to when say Houllier was here

• Like 1

I agree that Lambert has something special to him, but I think we must also applaud Culverhouse and Karsa.

The three of them have joined our club with an idea that they firmly believe can work.

I can safely say that most of us are behind this idea. We don't want to sign big names, we don't want to sign 'Premier League experience', we want to breed these things ourselves by developing talented young footballers who are driven and determined to succeed.

I can't wait to see how we are getting on by Christmas, really exciting time for our club and I think we should just embrace and enjoy this project.

While I respect your opinion and indeed feelings on our manager I would rather judge him on what we do on the pitch and what the progression is. Both have shown potential and therefore that has earned him the time for us all to see more but it will be some time before he can earn the accolade of being great.

While I respect your opinion and indeed feelings on our manager I would rather judge him on what we do on the pitch and what the progression is. Both have shown potential and therefore that has earned him the time for us all to see more but it will be some time before he can earn the accolade of being great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPy6BMZJTVs

Edited by praisedmambo