Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I know i may be hung out to dry but sometimes chucking money at a team doesn't always guarantee success we only have to look at the o'neill days to prove that.  Arsenal in relation to their stature spend next to nothing, moving down the League Everton do not spend massive amounts and they are there or there about in the mix for Europe every season

The good thing is that this Benteke saga has united us Villa fans 

You sure about that ?   :crylaugh:

How hasnt it though? the majority of the posts on here have been positive have they not?

Just dont think we'll ever be united as fans. 

Pablo agree with you to a certain extent but look at Everton's squad and a number of them cost a lot of money. Fellaini £15m, Pienaar £4.5, Mirallas £6m and Jelavic £5.5. A lot of their other players cost similar amounts. I do appreciate, in general, it would be good to try and move forward in the same direction they did but they have spent a lot of money to get where they are.

I was just trying to point out I think by the end of the transfer window most teams will have spent more than us and offering bigger wages. I don't know what the spending charts look like right now but would be interesting to see.

That really depends upon where you are aiming to get to and how quickly

I have long since given up hope that we will be challenging at the top 4 or 5 places,  certainly for the next 5 years at least (if at all) unless something dramatic changes

Pablo agree with you to a certain extent but look at Everton's squad and a number of them cost a lot of money. Fellaini £15m, Pienaar £4.5, Mirallas £6m and Jelavic £5.5. A lot of their other players cost similar amounts. I do appreciate, in general, it would be good to try and move forward in the same direction they did but they have spent a lot of money to get where they are.

I was just trying to point out I think by the end of the transfer window most teams will have spent more than us and offering bigger wages. I don't know what the spending charts look like right now but would be interesting to see.

The cost of the player is completely irrelevant, only the ability counts. Besides, Benteke was hardly a cheap punt, neither Okore, though he too is hopefully another that performs above and beyond his market value.

Besides, Fellaini was signed what, 4 years ago? The others were signed for fees we can compete with, that is a proven fact.

We may well be working on a very tight budget. I don't know what that might be. All I really care about is performance on the pitch.

I'm still a bit disturbed we won't consider signing anyone born before the fall of the Berlin wall. 

I saw Giorgos Karagounis just signed a new one year deal with Fulham. I would love a player like that in the squad for some experience and leadership. 

The good thing is that this Benteke saga has united us Villa fans 

You sure about that ?   :crylaugh:

How hasnt it though? the majority of the posts on here have been positive have they not?

Just dont think we'll ever be united as fans. 

Well you do have an avatar of one of the most devisive people in modern history  :rolleyes:

Got the team doing two training sessions a day and is only concerned with fitness in pre season games.

May be nothing at all but personally I'm glad he's got them all working hard.

Its nice to see our bright young squad now, no slackers so it seems.

If we lose Benteke I'd be deeply concerned about relegation again.

Nah, once we sell the riff raff, sell Beneteke, and sign 3 more players, we will be considerably stronger than we were last year. I've a feeling PL is going to pull off 1 or 2 more fantastic signings, and we'll be off and running. 10th place is realistic, and I don't think we'll ever be flirting with the drop again for a long time to come.

• Like 1

During his interview on AVTV, Jack said something like "The focus is obviously on those who ARE here, rather than the ones who aren't". His expression: 

636df7f226b6a239d42b35700473891b.png

:lol:

hahah, i'm surprised no-one has broken jack's nose so far as it goes. i had avtv one year, and one only. he's amusing in a partridge way for a bit, but let's face it he's a clearing in the woods.

The cost of the player is completely irrelevant, only the ability counts. Besides, Benteke was hardly a cheap punt, neither Okore, though he too is hopefully another that performs above and beyond his market value.

Besides, Fellaini was signed what, 4 years ago? The others were signed for fees we can compete with, that is a proven fact.

We may well be working on a very tight budget. I don't know what that might be. All I really care about is performance on the pitch.

I don't think there is a budget there to sign three or four players around the £5m mark even if Benteke does go. It was a fees the club could compete with in the past but now? Benteke was the only player signed last season for over £5m. The rest didn't cost a great deal. I agree you don't have to spend that sort of money to get a top player but more often than not the more you pay the better the player you get.

As I said, I think the squad will be stronger but I was trying to point out being manager of Aston Villa right now isn't what it was like for the previous managers. Lambert is here at a time when very little money is being made available to improve the team compared to most other clubs.

All I was suggesting was comparing what Lambert gets to spend this summer compared to the other clubs. Will be interesting to see where the club stands in a table of money spent this summer - tho I do appreciate the only table which counts in the Premier League table!!

That's fair. I was giving you my perspective.

If we are to sell Benteke I could see him spending perhaps 12-15 of those millions on 2/3 players. But the wage structure (as in £40k tops) will stay in place for now. It's that which seems to be the defining factor.

That we have a manager with the ability (at least in my opinion) to produce a squad capable of competing in the top half (still to be proven I admit) on such a budget is the matter for this thread. We have a few threads where we can talk about whether such a budget is acceptable or not, I hope people appreciate that.

Speculating what he could do with big money is neither here not there right now.

• Like 1

Speaking of which I am more concerned HE has not signed a new contract with us. Sod the players.

Was thinking this. There are comments from Lambert regarding a new contract, something along the lines his is relaxed about it.

I think Lerner is waiting until next summer. But thinking how Lambert came to us, if and when a bigger clubs comes knocking the contract that Lambert is on won't matter anyway.

During his interview on AVTV, Jack said something like "The focus is obviously on those who ARE here, rather than the ones who aren't". His expression: 

636df7f226b6a239d42b35700473891b.png

:lol:

hahah, i'm surprised no-one has broken jack's nose so far as it goes. i had avtv one year, and one only. he's amusing in a partridge way for a bit, but let's face it he's a clearing in the woods.

He talks some absolute shite doesn't he? I think it comes natural to him, it just rolls off the tongue. As a ST holder I get AVTV for free and I'm willing to put up with him talking crap as long as I get extended highlights of the Villa game.

• Like 1

I dont mind our Jack, just trying to make a name for himself in a tough industry. Loves the villa, gets paid **** all, and get's no budget from the club. AVTV maybe a little cringe at times but for a fiver I dont think anyone can complain, you get to see a lot of behind the scenes stuff and highlights.

You can tell he gets on lamberts tits though, but it's part of the job.

The thing with jack is he tries to make everything a pun, his commentary is one long pun. Amusing in itself.