Formula One - 2013

BOF

The justification for going in this direction is safety related.  Owing to the tyre failures from last year - most of which were caused by teams not realising the tyres were directional and could only be fitted in one way (never go full derp).

• 2 weeks later...

Last race of the season offer double points to keep things going to the wire next season.

They are one step away having the equivalent of "next goal wins".

Also, drivers to pick numbers to stay with them all their career. Why bother? Seb gets first choice of no.1 as reigning world champ, thus preventing anyone else having that number whilst he's still gamefully employed.

The decision to award double points, counting towards the drivers' and constructors' championships, at the final race of the season was made "to maximise focus on the championship until the end of the campaign", according to an FIA statement.

Full story on the beeb

Permanent numbers are a good idea. Like Valentino Rossi's #46 or indeed most if not all American racing series'. The #1 is always reserved for the current WDC if he wants to use it (Rossi never did).

But I'm with Jim on the double points thing. The FIA can shove F1. Along with DRS it's now designed for the fan with no attention span and no appreciation for real racing or a proper championship. A 50pt final race is the final straw for me.

Hmmm, I am actually not that opposed to the whole double points thing :-/

Ref the career numbers. Am I right in assuming that Vettel will have #1 next year but will also have another number which he will assume if he is not WC the following season?

Double points is absolutely ridiculous.

The FIA seem determined to make F1 like the Wacky Races. 

Tbh they've lost me since the move to Sky anyway but I really won't bother with it at all now. 

Ahaha. And with that, I'm out. The fact abu dabi is also the season finale is also so depressing. A plaything for Bernie and mates. I hate Vettel but I'd see the funny side of him winning the title solely based on him winning the final gp where normally it wouldn't.

The whole Abu Dhabi thing shows the powers that be up for exactly what they are, greedy words removed. Clearly the team from AD have paid big money to be the season finale and that is why it's there. It should be in Brazil imo, really exciting circuit with very changeable conditions.

I had the Sky HD pack (@ £5 per month) purely for the F1 the last 2 years. I won't bother next season.

The points thing is a joke. You can be a steady average driver all year but win the championship on the last race!? **** sake. Not that it'll change much while Vettel is driving a Newey car but it's still a woeful idea and if the title is neck and neck between 2/3 drivers yet a driver who has just consistently picked up points can win the championship if the title contenders all have a shit final race or rain changes things?! Makes a mockery of the previous races in the year.

The points thing is a joke. You can be a steady average driver all year but win the championship on the last race!? **** sake. Not that it'll change much while Vettel is driving a Newey car but it's still a woeful idea and if the title is neck and neck between 2/3 drivers yet a driver who has just consistently picked up points can win the championship if the title contenders all have a shit final race or rain changes things?! Makes a mockery of the previous races in the year.

How is this any different to the current setup?

It just adds a bit of spice to the end of the season doesn't it. Keeps the dreams alive of the majority of the field to make a leap on the final day.

Its not just all about the championship but all of the way down the field.

I do also agree with what others have said, it is a cheap gimmick. Also, the fact the final circuit is in AD means it will nullify any artificial excitement the rule makers try to create as nobody will be able to overtake. Maybe that is part of the reason why it has happened?

Â